which kinda jamming kakis makes you Toolan?!?

I forgot to mention people who always want to be heard by turning up the volumes on their amps to try and get above everyone else. Most often the case of the lead player.

That's one of the things i hate the most. Jam sessions that are too loud. Loudness is meant for performances, when it comes to practices, an ideal volume should be set so all mistakes can be heard. Damn...

"Jam Discipline"

Yea, I agree. Playing too loud. The member that plays too loudly without taking the other instruments into consideration probably needs education on how bands work together. Sometimes, things start out at the right volume. Over time however, everyone starts turning their knobs up progressively. 1 hour into the session, everyone starts producing noise instead of music. So, consistency throughout the session is vital.

The other thing that would frustrate me is the irresponsible member who does not learn his part. I mean, it wouldn't be fair if all the other 4 guys managed their time well enough to learn their parts and show up prepared for the jam right?

Humility in any session is just as critical. I personally do not like musicians who give excuses. E.g: not used to these drums, strings too old, can't hear u guys that's why i'm not playing the beats correctly, etc. I've heard many excuses and some really illogical ones too. Of cos there are legitimate reasons, and mistakes have to be made for anyone to improve. At the same time, if one can't play properly b'cos he isn't good enough, or b'cos he hasn't put in enuff effort to learn his parts, then he just should just say it. Everyone in a band must be willing to correct one another and accept correction from one another. No one's better than anyone. All have to be objective.

All these points don't apply when you're having a "fun" jam though. Which basically means, no goals to be achieved, just pure loud fun. Haha.

On the other hand, I feel that the every band needs to have "jam discipline" when it comes to practice, be it for a gig, or to get songs done accurately. Just my thoughts. :wink:

I'm guilty of playing while someone is talking. Hand itchy ah. :oops: But I love my band, we all know how to balance ourselves, all of us work together. We seldom complain about how bad an amp is, because me and my guitarist's amp aren't really good to begin with, so any amp we use is naturally better.

The sad thing is my drummer and my guitarist became very busy recently. My drummer is busy because of church and my guitarist is busy because of NS. :?

pooo said:
I forgot to mention people who always want to be heard by turning up the volumes on their amps to try and get above everyone else. Most often the case of the lead player.

Ask the lead to get a lead boost loh. Loud only during his solo. :wink:

Haha

Don't worry, I'm totally cool & I understand how you feel. If only everybody can donate $1 each to me, I'll be able to own some of the greatest guitar ever made, or even customize my very own 1s.

Money, money, money, you're so funny, funny!!

lol i am absolutely guilty of most of the stuff you guys mentioned in the earlier posts... I'd like to extend my apologies to 2 persons, satch and vaiyen lol especially for

i) not being able to turn up for the jams (seriously I can show u guys my passport to prove that i was outstationed lol)
ii) not being able to play the way you guys want (namely due to 2 reasons, 1, I suck, 2, because I suck, I tend not to like to play note for note and hence I improvise)
iii) I dun suggest any songs whenever you guys ask me for ideas, cos, I dun even learn the songs i suggest myself lol, and I figured you guys will be lagi pissed if i suggested then cannot play. Moreover, I'm really kinda chin chye so I'd rather play wat u guys name lor)

Peace lol

oh, and i hate people who play their instruments and when we ask them to do something constructive, they say wait, then countinue to play their instruments, then everyone gets so pissed they go and read news papers, then still never get message, in fact, go play other band members instruments, then waste jam money...

Hmm

I jus noticed something I dislike about my band mates - they like to play & talk among themselves when I'm introducing a new song to them, esp when I explain the parts to them, they'll jus be engrossed with their instruments.

I'm like OMG!! But what can I do, I love them the most!!

maybe all those who complained about their bandmates can come together and jam a few times. it will be therapeutic.

ya.. some they keep playing their own thing.. machiam at home never play enuff :D

and..... i do that oso i admit :oops:

soft said:
maybe all those who complained about their bandmates can come together and jam a few times. it will be therapeutic.

we are just ranting.. and i oso never say i am the best right :)

gordonzz, no need to be the best to join this group. :wink:

as long as it helps you re-discover the joy of nice jamming partners.

Being in a studio is all abt having fun and at the same time doing the things that we like most. and that is playing MUSIC!!!

Nevertheless, there will be cockups here and there and thats the parts and parcels of music.. One good way to remedy any problems faced during the session wld be to have a feedback session right after that.

This way, its better to solve any problems and not to drag it to the subsequent jamming session.

To Satch and Vaiyen, this sunday at Fourtones ah. Hope to have a good time with the both of U..

Oh ya..

I got the Lamb Of God Killadelphia video. Those guys are awesome and in one part they showed a fight between the vocalist and the guitarist. And I mean a real FIGHT bcos of arguments, dissatisfactions, disagreement, etc when they are touring on the road..

Its a good video for all to watch and the music itself rocks..

Vaiyen!!! Laid To Rest this sunday!! Can ah!! :wink:

We just get it down and jam a song. Someone will shout a song name and we will just play it. All songs are learnt before jamming, only sometimes when someone is unsure of some part then we will go thru it together. My band used to meet up at my place to learn songs together before jamming.

3 types of jamming khakis i hate

1) the type who take ages to confirm whether they can make it or not, then on the eve of the session then they say they can make it, by then the studio fully booked already

2) the type who plays and plays and plays while someone is trying to talk, and he plays something totally irrelevant to the band's music, like anyhow whack the drums or play some solo which nobody wants to hear

3) the type who tries out for your band, comes in, adds nice riffs to your originals, say he loves your band, cant wait to jam again, then he goes MIA and u never hear from him again.

walllaaaaaaaaaaooooooo this tread is still going ahhhhhh..!!!! heheheh
everyone who never make any mistake in the group ur not human ..
why is it always complaining may be all are pros.hahahaha
this what u do after jammin good or bad hang out drink beer ,then find gurls then playstation bondingg man.....my band is almost ? years already since secondary yes we shout at each other sometimes but still ill never stabbed them behind there back by telling there misrtake coz i make mistake toooo..R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
peace

Back