Pedalboard Pictures!

Interesting - you have a compressor after the wah. You can do them funky clean wakka wakka more easily since the compressor can help control the volume. Pretty cool. Give it a shot if you haven't.

Tried a MXR Phaser? You might like that over the Small Stone (which is also a phaser right? Or is it the chorus? Ah well...) since the MXR Phase 90 has an interesting dirty phasing sound that's mids-heavy compared to the Small Stone's clean-ish hi-fi phasing.

goodness. I love that elmo. :p

My Elmo is too big... Anyone know of a boutique maker who can make my elmo smaller? Possibly mount it without velcro? MXR sized would be great and I don't want to have the problem of bumping his eyes when I step on him... :mrgreen:

If you do a search thats the majority finding.

nope i don't own one but tried a clone on my proto board 3 years ago ;)

Best to have it's gain low and volume high ...into an already overdriven amp or your distortion/ gain pedal(s).
Tone(treble) to taste....i like to darken it abit. ;)

Interesting - you have a compressor after the wah. You can do them funky clean wakka wakka more easily since the compressor can help control the volume. Pretty cool. Give it a shot if you haven't.

Tried a MXR Phaser? You might like that over the Small Stone (which is also a phaser right? Or is it the chorus? Ah well...) since the MXR Phase 90 has an interesting dirty phasing sound that's mids-heavy compared to the Small Stone's clean-ish hi-fi phasing.

Haha thanks for the comments Shred... yeah I love compressor after wah, its so much easier to control the dynamics in volume when used with a wah. Works for dirt too. Usually i leave my compressor on all the time.

I've actually a/b-ed 3 phasers at ebenex...the small stone nano, mxr phase 90 and the maxon phase tone. I ended up walking away with the small stone cos i love its unique phase sound...it was more subtle compared to the other 2 and it dint boost the volume and add distortion like the phase 90 did. However one issue that has bugged me is the annoying volume drop the small stone has when engaged....its especially noticeable when used in a band context. I may end up dropping it for an MXR EVH Phase 90, that looks like an interesting option for me to check out. Especially since there are mods for it too....I dont think my nano stone can be modded since the entire nano series mostly uses SMD components.

Haha thanks for the comments Shred... yeah I love compressor after wah, its so much easier to control the dynamics in volume when used with a wah. Works for dirt too. Usually i leave my compressor on all the time.

I've actually a/b-ed 3 phasers at ebenex...the small stone nano, mxr phase 90 and the maxon phase tone. I ended up walking away with the small stone cos i love its unique phase sound...it was more subtle compared to the other 2 and it dint boost the volume and add distortion like the phase 90 did. However one issue that has bugged me is the annoying volume drop the small stone has when engaged....its especially noticeable when used in a band context. I may end up dropping it for an MXR EVH Phase 90, that looks like an interesting option for me to check out. Especially since there are mods for it too....I dont think my nano stone can be modded since the entire nano series mostly uses SMD components.

The current gen phase 90 is really terrible, IMO, and shouldn't even be considered. If you're keen on MXR, go for either the EVH or better yet, the custom shop reissue script phase 90 (I think the model number is CSP-026).

I may end up dropping it for an MXR EVH Phase 90, that looks like an interesting option for me to check out. Especially since there are mods for it too....I dont think my nano stone can be modded since the entire nano series mostly uses SMD components.

Consider a BYOC Script Phaser and having it assembled by Goose.

I got one done that way and I'm very pleased with it. Less distorted than a regular Phase 90 but you can adjust it to be a Phase90 or something close. 3 knobs dude. That's obviously 3 times better than the Phase90's measly 1 knob. Total pwnage.

The current gen phase 90 is really terrible, IMO, and shouldn't even be considered. If you're keen on MXR, go for either the EVH or better yet, the custom shop reissue script phase 90 (I think the model number is CSP-026).

I think the main problem with the phase 90 is that it tends to distort rather easily. The R28 mod (only one component) supposedly makes it cleaner, as in the effected signal.

I guess the main problem is that the phase 90 lacks a "mix" knob....that would be cool.

Shred, the BYOC phaser has 3 knobs? mind telling what the 3 knobs do?

if you wanna get a current issue phase 90, be prepared to heavily mod it. :D

imho, the r28 mod in not enough to really clean up the phase 90. there's a lot of other mods to do to get the current issue to sound close to the script ones. at the same time, you could add a depth knob to it too. i did a hell lot of work on mine. i over-hauled the whole thing. i dont think it's worth it. so i'd go with shredcow's suggestion. although i've never tried it, goose isn't known to disappoint.

Last edited:
If you do a search thats the majority finding.

nope i don't own one but tried a clone on my proto board 3 years ago ;)

Best to have it's gain low and volume high ...into an already overdriven amp or your distortion/ gain pedal(s).
Tone(treble) to taste....i like to darken it abit. ;)

Haha..

That is super duper i agree dude.
and I thk its meant for strat man.

if you wanna get a current issue phase 90, be prepared to heavily mod it. :D

imho, the r28 mod in not enough to really clean up the phase 90. there's a lot of other mods to do to get the current issue to sound close to the script ones. at the same time, you could add a depth knob to it too. i did a hell lot of work on mine. i over-hauled the whole thing. i dont think it's worth it. so i'd go with shredcow's suggestion. although i've never tried it, goose isn't known to disappoint.

wow sounds like quite a pain in the ass just to get the phase 90 to sound right. Do you still have yours? Care to post a pic? Cos im very interested to see how it looks like after all those mods ;)

i dont have pics of it atm cos it's currently off my board in my bunch of "pedals i don't use live and only for home pleasure use"

anyways, it's been rehoused in the normal dull metal casing. i true-bypassed it, so had to cut away part of the old pcb and the 3pdt had to be mounted further down than the original switch in order to fit, also the whole pcb has to shift down to accommodate the new knob and switches, so that's why i needed a new housing for it. the centre knob (rate) is now right in the middle of the housing. the top left is the depth knob. beside it is 2 mini toggle switches, one which toggles between 2 levels of output, another one which toggles the r28 and another resistor on/off. and its got a bright green led :D

it would have been much easier to get a larger housing and mount everything inside, but at that time when it was on my board i was struggling for space, so that's why i squeezed everything into a new phase90-sized housing. :D

Latest posts

Back