Pedalboard Pictures!

Shred, the BYOC phaser has 3 knobs? mind telling what the 3 knobs do?

Nope. Stock is 1. Goose-d, he decided on 3.

One is rate, as usual, there others... I dunno what's the name for them. One adjusts the amount of break up - affects how well it works with distortion (I suspect the 'distortion' from a Phase 90 kinda allows it to rock out better on dirt) and another affects the way it swirls, from sorta pick sensitive to a fixed-based-on-rate-swirl. Something like that.

You can run the Phase 90 on 12v and that increases the headroom quite a bit. The usual distortion is much much reduced. Cleaner for well, playing cleans and it sounds more 3D-ish + bigger.

That said, played loud - it just sounds weird. The 'distortion' is odd. Like neither here nor there and the hugeness seems to take away from its punch when playing with gain. Surprisingly, I even miss the "boxy-ness" of the 9v Phase 90.

The Klon transparent? TRANSPARENT? haha....... :lol:

well it has this air of mystery surrounding it....so maybe!

Oopsies.. I wouldn't know anyways.. Transparency ain't my thing, and hearing clips of the Klon in action just makes me scratch my head and go "hmmm.. Is it on yet?" :rolleyes:

The irony..

Taken off a TGP Emporium thread of someone trading an original TS-808 for a guitar or a tube amp.. Look at the chip.. Malaysia, truly asia!
DSC00933.jpg

i dont have pics of it atm cos it's currently off my board in my bunch of "pedals i don't use live and only for home pleasure use"

anyways, it's been rehoused in the normal dull metal casing. i true-bypassed it, so had to cut away part of the old pcb and the 3pdt had to be mounted further down than the original switch in order to fit, also the whole pcb has to shift down to accommodate the new knob and switches, so that's why i needed a new housing for it. the centre knob (rate) is now right in the middle of the housing. the top left is the depth knob. beside it is 2 mini toggle switches, one which toggles between 2 levels of output, another one which toggles the r28 and another resistor on/off. and its got a bright green led :D

it would have been much easier to get a larger housing and mount everything inside, but at that time when it was on my board i was struggling for space, so that's why i squeezed everything into a new phase90-sized housing. :D

thanks for explaining the nitty gritty dric... so does that mean you cant mod the phase 90 to true bypass without rehousing? curious to know.

Nope. Stock is 1. Goose-d, he decided on 3.

One is rate, as usual, there others... I dunno what's the name for them. One adjusts the amount of break up - affects how well it works with distortion (I suspect the 'distortion' from a Phase 90 kinda allows it to rock out better on dirt) and another affects the way it swirls, from sorta pick sensitive to a fixed-based-on-rate-swirl. Something like that.

You can run the Phase 90 on 12v and that increases the headroom quite a bit. The usual distortion is much much reduced. Cleaner for well, playing cleans and it sounds more 3D-ish + bigger.

That said, played loud - it just sounds weird. The 'distortion' is odd. Like neither here nor there and the hugeness seems to take away from its punch when playing with gain. Surprisingly, I even miss the "boxy-ness" of the 9v Phase 90.

Coool stuff man....so how do you use it? Interested to know man....do you use it in front or after drives? and with distortion for solos, etc.

Did you all notice that noob's lone pedal is not even a pedal but a ... LINE SELECTOR DUM DUM DUM dum dum dum...!!!

Ized: you CAN mod it to true bypass without rehousing. HOWEVER, you will have to cut out the part of the pcb where the stock dpdt switch is. because the dpdt is pcb mounted, merely de-soldering it wont work as there isn't enough space for the pcb to go in with a new 3pdt in place. as all the jacks are pcb mounted also, the position of the pcb is fixed because all the jacks have to line up with all the holes on the housing.

another point to note, if you want to add in another knob or any switches to the pedal, you'll have to sacrifice the 9v batt location. i have a friend who just drills a hole and runs the 9v batt wire out of the housing and just places the batt on his board. but for me i just got rid of the batt wire since i run on power supply.

shred: imo, even at low volumes, the distortion from the phase90 does sound weird too (not only at loud volumes). even when used with a distortion pedal, or overdrive, you can hear the distortion from the phase90 doesnt really blend well with any of the pedals i've tried it along side with. it just stands out like a sore thumb most of the time. UNLESS, the gain is really up till it masks the phase90 dist.

goose's byoc sounds interesting. adjusting the amt of break up, having it swirl sensitive to pick attack. i think i might get one just to give it a go. :D

Coool stuff man....so how do you use it? Interested to know man....do you use it in front or after drives? and with distortion for solos, etc.

I've had a few phasers... the BYOC Script Phaser, a Small Stone and the Retro-Sonic Phaser.
I jsut seem to like my BYOC a lot more? Its another staple on my board... weird huh.

I just run the phaser before drive. I use it clean or with dirt... same way all the time. Sometimes, its just on for that PG pseudo wah vibe?

I did this clip a long time back - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=641337&songID=4796562

I guess if there's one word to describe it - its chewy.

shred: imo, even at low volumes, the distortion from the phase90 does sound weird too (not only at loud volumes). even when used with a distortion pedal, or overdrive, you can hear the distortion from the phase90 doesnt really blend well with any of the pedals i've tried it along side with. it just stands out like a sore thumb most of the time. UNLESS, the gain is really up till it masks the phase90 dist.

goose's byoc sounds interesting. adjusting the amt of break up, having it swirl sensitive to pick attack. i think i might get one just to give it a go. :D

Hmmm... I think I wasn't clear... I was referring to the BYOC Script Phaser I had... not a Phase 90. That wouldn't be accurate methinks - they have a difference in sound.

*shrugs* Give a Script Phaser a shot... maybe its distortion isn't too strong like a regular Phase 90? I dunno. MXR also has their own reissue of the Script Phaser under their custom shop...

I'm not sure if Goose like overhauled the BYOC btw... I'm quite sure it was a straight-forward assembly with addition pots for controlling 2 other parameters. That's it. Check out the old BYOC Phaser Royale - something like that sans switches.

OT for a second guys.

im a noob towards phaser and wanting to get one.
Was thking of the Script MXR phase 90.

Any recommendations from u guys.

Then i can go try out see see look look..

haha : )

Would appreciate ur advise.

Any recommendations from u guys.

Then i can go try out see see look look..

haha : )

Would appreciate ur advise.

The MXR Script Phaser reissue looks cool. Good reviews too.

There's also the HomeBrewElectronics Psylocype (or something), EHX Small Stone, and more... do a google. I believe Ebenex should have many phasers for you to try out.

When you do get to try them - make sure you run them on clean and dirt.

dric: Thanks for the insights and taking the time to explain buddy...you the man for DIY.

Shedcow: Thanks for the recommendation bro...will defintely pop by Goose's place to check it out soon. Hopefully my SS can be modded. if not i may either go for the BYOC or the Red Witch Moon Phaser.

Latest posts

Back