AFF Suzuki Cup 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah i might pop by.. you'll never know when's the final match at kallang..

here are the details:

AFF Suzuki Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg
Singapore vs Vietnam
Sunday 21 December 2008, 8.00pm
National Stadium, Singapore

Ticketing Details
Grandstand: S$10
Gallery (Adults): S$6
Gallery (Students): S$2 (While Stocks Last) (For Secondary School, Junior College and ITE Students only. Students must display valid ID for entry to Stadium)

FREE Entry for Primary School Students and Below (Gallery only. Students must display valid ID for entry to Stadium)

Sale Dates:
Tuesday 16 December to Friday 19 December
1.00pm to 8.00pm
South Gate, Jalan Besar Stadium

NO SALE on Saturday 20 December

Match Day (Sunday 21 December)
East and West Entrances, National Stadium
5.00pm onwards

i think that the only really bright spark in the Singapore side tonight was Noh Alam Shah,even in the short time he's been on the field.Lionel Lewis all but saved Singapore's asses tonight,with help from the post.

they should communicate more.
lionel and baihakki played well tonight.
go for more training on those passing and crosses.

1st half, we were totally outclassed by them, no doubt about it. They could have been 3 goals up. The Vietnamese played really well, my hats off to them. 2nd half, we start to get back into the game n the Vietnamese just slowed down the pace a bit. Too bad about the own goal that was disallowed for offside hehe..

But we were lucky to scrape a goaless draw. I hope the Lions buck up for the 2nd leg this Sunday. I`m gonna be there :)

1st half, we were totally outclassed by them, no doubt about it. They could have been 3 goals up. The Vietnamese played really well, my hats off to them. 2nd half, we start to get back into the game n the Vietnamese just slowed down the pace a bit. Too bad about the own goal that was disallowed for offside hehe..

But we were lucky to scrape a goaless draw. I hope the Lions buck up for the 2nd leg this Sunday. I`m gonna be there :)

See you there son.We'll show the Vietnamese it ain't a walk in the park to play Singaporeans on their turf!:D

i so wanna be there during spore vs vietnam match.. but ill watch from home... yea the passing was like shit.... goodness. star players: bahakki, lionel lewis and noh alam shah.

the Vietnam team did well not to float the ball into the Lion's penalty area, instead, they played the ground against the sluggish defenders such as Precious & the rest.

hopefully Singapore has alot in store for vietnam on the return fixture back on home soil.

Lol Agu's passing is atrocious, he gave away the ball like 80% of the time when passing. Singapore is like forever playing long balls to the strikers hoping to catch the Vietnamese defenders offguard which never happened.

Also Vietnam was really agressive and they really went all out to get the ball off the Singaporean players, thats gotta take lots of physical fitness and stuff.

Seriously hope singapore would change their tactics or improve hell lots for the 2nd leg .

Indeed, a VERY insipid performance tonite, i think it was a huge mistake by Raddy to play Isa, having Wilkinson on the pitch woulda had the Vietnamese pinned back more. We coulda used his set-piece delivery too. Anyway, match ratings are up:

Lionel Lewis 8.5 Singapore's saviour on the night, he was absolutely solid in the air, and did well to deny the Vietnamese from aerial situations

Noh Rahman 6.0 An unspectacular performance, was beaten by pace time and again but did well on a couple of occasions to recover

Baihakki Khaizan 7.5 A colossus in the air as usual, was there to deny Le Cong Vinh time and again. Was exposed for pace quite a few times but each time he recovered well, although he could have done better on a few occasions

Precious Emuejeraye 6.5 Was exposed for pace like the rest of his defence but contained the Vietnam attackers well enough for the clean sheet

Daniel Bennett 6.5 A decent performance for the experienced stopper, a few good balls down the pitch but was also beaten for pace down his left flank. Recovered a few times but otherwise could do nothing against the pacier Vietnamese.

Mustafic Fahrudin 5.5 Gave the ball away too cheaply and his aimless long balls down the pitch did nothing to alleviate the pressure on his defence. That being said, he did do well on a couple of occasions to deny the Vietnamese midfielders but was otherwise given the runaround. Also earned himself a stupid yellow card for a needless challenge towards the end. Needs to improve his passing.

Isa Halim 4.5 One of the lost lambs on the pitch, the Young Lions skipper was made to look like a fool. Sluggish on the ball, he was guilty of losing possesion countless times, his passing often went astray and he was run ragged by the pacy Vietnamese midfielders. Made a few stupid challenges and was lucky not to be booked.

Muhammad Ridhuan 5.5 Another ineffective performer, he did produce some moments of brilliance but was otherwise marooned out on the right flank. Goaded into stupid challenges at times, he gave away free kicks in dangerous positions and was supremely lucky not to be punished for them. Rushed his crosses and must learn not be so impulsive in the challenge.

Shi Jiayi 5.5 Lost possesion of the ball too many times, like many of his counterparts. He wasn't himself on the night, and his usually solid set-piece deliveries were poor. Did not do anything of note, and was a letdown on the left. But he did his defensive duties decently, and Daniel Bennett would have been indebted to him during the last 20mins.

Agu Casmir 7.0 Was a willing runner all through the game, although he did not hassle the Vietnamese defenders much. Was closed out by the Vietnamese defence for much of the match but could have done better whenever he got the ball. Too bad about the lack of support up front. Was guilty however, of giving away possesion cheaply.

Indra Sahdan 6.0 Did nothing of note and also lost possesion one too many times. Wasn't able to use his pace much and could not penetrate the tight Vietnamese backline.

Subs:

Noh Alam Shah 8.0 Made an instant impact once he went on, galvanised the frontline by hassling the Vietnamese defence and nearly scored with a header that went an inch over the bar. Full of energy, he gave the frontline a much needed boost and also created some good chances. Showed his quality, although he is not in tip top condition.

Ismail Yunos 6.0 Shored up the backline in the dying minutes of the 2nd half and got in a few crosses, none of which were particularly effective. Helped Noh Rahman to pu a lid on the Vietnamese left winger.

Juma'at Jantan 6.0 Came on just to run down the clock and made 1 good clearance.

Again, i think Singapore aren't suited to defensive football, they have good attackers like Agu and NAS and i think the supply line, usually provided by Shi and John Wilkinson was missing, hence the Lions not being able to create any clear-cut chances. The defence is now beginning to settle down though, and i hope this bodes well for the return leg.

i think there are many overrated players in the squad. off form players like riduan mohd still starts games.. precious, agu(apart frm the tap-in goals..what else?), john wilkinson...maybe theres favourism within the team....i prefer alam shah to start games.......

omg, s'pore were like lost lions...clueless..pump the ball and expect agu/indra/alam shah to chase after it...very lucky to escape this one...shouldnt have put isa halim together with mustafic

Hafiz, u are right. IMO, Shahril shld start instead of Ridhuan. If Fazrul was in the team, he'd be a shoo-in on the right. Wilkinson, Precious and Agu however, aren't overrated, Agu does more than score tap-ins, he harasses the opposing defence with his physicality and holds the ball up well. He also draws defenders out to the flanks, usually the left, although he didn't do much of that last night. He's got great control, but like the rest of the Singapore team, needs to improve on his passing. Wilko is a great set-piece taker, he can float a ball right onto the heads of players like Precious or Baihakki. He is a little slow, but his passing is one of the best, and what was missing last night. He was on the bench bcos he tweaked a muscle during warmup. Raddy prob didn't want to risk him. Precious is there to rough up the opposing strikers, make them think twice abt doing something fancy. He's actually been quite consistent. I think Shi shld be shunted out though, i dun quite see the quality in him besides his freekicks, which Wilko can do more consistently, as shown last night.

Last edited:
frankly speaking the lions played like shit, but frighteningly they didn't play much worse than usual. it's just that this time they were unlucky and their weaknesses exposed.

i think NAS and wilko should have started. they are much more physical, an area that we can beat the vietnamese easily. that's how malaysia played against them, they were physical and did quick passing. it's just that malaysia had a kelong keeper.

instead he started an anonymous indra, while isa halim's inexperience was exposed.

shi jiayi played badly. can't fault raddy for starting him though, he is one of the few players good in dead ball situations. but having played so poorly he should have been taken off earlier.

bennet's crossing was poor. his crossing accuracy is the difference between us and other teams, who usually use fast running to attack. but this time he often when the lions broke down, he immediately pumped the ball straight into the vietnamese midfield even before the vietnamese had retreated to defend.

noh rahman was poor. in fact he has been playing badly for the past few games already. below par compared to the last tournament where he saved the lions' ass numerous times.

MOM for me was easily lionel lewis, simply because he was the only one who did his job properly.

but despite all this, a couple of below par individual performances should NOT cripple the team if there was strong teamwork, tactical play, and leadership within the team.

the singapore team is just a bunch of individuals playing for themselves, much like how singapore is a country of individuals who only care about themselves.

this is where i will say that i am NOT a fan of raddy avramovic. NO tactics, NO style, NO IDEA AT ALL. the passing movement of the lions is haphazard and impromptu. all the defence does is pump the ball to the forwards. half the time they wont get the ball, and even when they do, they have no support, no wingers to link up and lay off to because there is absolutely no build-up in their play.

there is also no leadership and no inspiration from within, no purpose or creativity. can anyone tell me who the singapore captain is? in the glory days being the singapore captain was an honour. but nowadays its more like a one-night stand.

and what's the deal with qiu li? if you bring an 18 year old foreigner to play football, you are deliberately denying places for local players. where then does the incentive to play come from? football doesn't work like table tennis. frankly speaking, table tennis is a candy-ass sport where much is based on individual talent. nobody in the world really gives a damn anyway because the only people who take it seriously are china.

singapore deserves a hero. singapore needs a hero. but what has FAS done to our heroes? how have they treated legends like fandi ahmad and dollah kassim?

with this kind of nonsense in the system, nobody will want to be a hero. and with such a rubbish system, you can bring the world's best players here and they will end up becoming rubbish. and the day 11 foreigners start for singapore, you can be sure that the man on the street would have totally given up on the team.

everyone who has given something to this country will have some sort of loyalty. but if a bunch of losers are representing this country, we the people, you can be sure that everyone will be quick to disassociate from them.

Raddy is just being tactical. He knows that Vietnam will come and attack with speed. Just that the Lions counter were not so effective last nite and there were many gabra moments when they got "turned" too many times.

Expect a changed lined-up on Sunday. A more attacking one I would say.

Just that I find that Raddy has much faith on Agu, something which I cant really comprehend..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back