AFF Suzuki Cup 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no point talking about the Vietnam game, that one is already over. Whats more important is this Sunday's game.

I would like very much to be at the National Stadium cheering for the Lions but unfortunately, I have to report to work early on Monday as I have to cover somebody's duties, so I have to sleep early on Sunday night. I will, however, be watching the match live on TV.

Lets rally behind the Lions!!! :) I hope to be able to make it to the final (if 2nd leg in NS, would be better) if all goes well for us this Sunday :)

I hope we can win 2-0 :)

It would be tense if it goes to extra time and penalty shootout, but then again, we made it to the final via tat route against Malaysia last year.

Am I the only 1 here who prefers local players than foreign imports to represent Singapore? Personally I want true blue Singaporeans to win it or nothing at all.

Am I the only 1 here who prefers local players than foreign imports to represent Singapore? Personally I want true blue Singaporeans to win it or nothing at all.

u're not the only one. i agree totally with what shinobi just said. because of this i'm losing interst in caring for the national team.

and what's the deal with qiu li? if you bring an 18 year old foreigner to play football, you are deliberately denying places for local players. where then does the incentive to play come from?

I hope to see an all local Singapore national team in 5 years time :) I think the foreign talent scheme has been useful to move Singapore football one step ahead but in the long run, it would deny places to promising local youngsters.

Then again, during the 1994 Malaysia Cup era, we had foreign players such as Abbas Saad, Jang Jung as well..

Yeah. When I see locals made up the minorities in the squad I can't find any sense of pride. Where will the imports be after their playing days are over? Most probably back to thier own country, remember egmar concalves? And why are they still playing agu? Wasn't he the one who tried to run away to europe with the money he stole form the indonesian club?

I hope to see an all local Singapore national team in 5 years time :) I think the foreign talent scheme has been useful to move Singapore football one step ahead but in the long run, it would deny places to promising local youngsters.

Then again, during the 1994 Malaysia Cup era, we had foreign players such as Abbas Saad, Jang Jung as well..

That was different. Even the malaysian states have imports. We never made Abbas or Jang Jung play for us in national level. And I think this foreign talent scheme is here to stay.

Wasp: Oh yes, how could I forget that we were playing at club level back then? Sorry for the wrong info :p

I'd like to see more local Chinese and Indian players in the national team as the years progress. FTS is, like I mentioned, bad in the long run. Why not instead get the youngsters and current players to play overseas? This will help Singapore football to improve.

Last edited:
FT playing at club level could be good for the local talents to improve but not when using them for national glory, no pride in that. Still, all the best to them.

Singapore 0 Vietnam 1

Sad to see us go out this way but congrats to Vietnam, they really played well and deserved the win. Even though we dominated the 1st half, still cannot find a goal...:(

I can see Vietnam having a good chance winning the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back