V-Picks

Hey , which pick you guys would recommend for bass guitar ? interested to get a few too.

Bass you will need a strong, powerful tone that cuts through the mix. So don't use nylons or thin plecs. Jim Dunlop big stubbies, Jazz III, V-picks, etc. The thick monsters :)

oh believe the hype.... I'm no hype monger but I personally feel V-picks feels and play so much easier and better than the regular picks.

I'm a convert.

Yup, although I kinda stopped using my Jazz IIIs and switched to celluloid classics 0.70mm, I still use my V-pick because it downright owns every pick I've ever used.

hmm... I have always been using the fender resin medium .73mm picks that sweelee has cuz its very comfortable for me =)

i never knew that picks can make a difference to a guitar's tone till i read this forum thread...

i might wanna give it a try...hehe..

so.. what would be the most suitable V-pick if you're playing blues - both rhythm and lead?

Speaking of which, I just got a V Pick Fattie.

Just. Got. Big. Fat. Pick.

And uh... its... actually workable. Review coming up.

Btw, I found that the pointy V Picks is the easier way to start off... reason being, I think most players slant their picks. On a rounded/regular V Pick, you do that and you get a very muted/dulled sound... You can't do that. And if you are not used to keeping your pick straight like parallel to the strings, then you should go for the pointy V Picks first. I found that once I got used to holding my V Pick parallel to the strings, the regular ones fare just as well - just a touch less bite - but a LOT more control and its eassssyyy to sweep.

After hearing all the hype about v-picks, I gave in and ordered some.

Got a small pointed, medium pointed and acoustic v-pick. The small is the brightest followed by the medium and acoustic. I like them very much as they really brightened up my guitar compared to the green riffs I was using. I'm not sure I would get the normal rounded v-picks as I can get a warmer tone already with my regular nylons. But the pointed ones are a must try.

Before anyone goes and changes a set of pickups or something, try experimenting with a v-pick first. It might be just what you need for a different sound.

And of course, bluegrass woods is great to deal with too. Will give you a recommendation based on what you tell him. And prompt with sending the picks out too. I hope he can keep up his good service.

My only concern is that the pointed tip would wear with use and become warmer in tone. Will have to use and see.

Hahaha.

I found slightly, just a tiny bit, less bite but a LOT LESS TRACTION as the edges wore off.

If I get more V Pick medium pointys, I'd just sand down the 3-D edges a little... stock, it sort of clings/gets stuck on your strings.

Great, got Medium Pointys?

Here's a pic for reference.

test.jpg

Back