V-Picks

awesomest picks iv ever used.. used to use pickboys carbonnylon series b4 that and the tone i got frm them was amazong till i found v picks. my fav ones r still the unbuffed ones as they create a really nice pick sound when sliding across the strings. not noticible when its there but missing from the sound when i dont use them.. really really great picks

thumbs up to brendon too.. a really gr8 guy and super efficient in serving me.. thanks so much

I just bought a Medium Original V-Pick to replace an older, lost v-pick. I must say that these V-picks are very durable, i probably used my previous pick for more than 6 months. other than the usual wear and tear of picks, the pick did not break, tear or snap.

I really enjoy the difference in tone and the control it gives me, in addition to providing a firm grip that prevents slipping. over all a recommended and fantastic pick to have!

Thanks also to Brendon of BGW Guitars for the fantastic service.

Amidst the buzz on V-Picks on TGP and Birds & Moons forum, I decided to jump on the wagon to try these out. Had been using Dunlop Jazz III picks and wanted to see if there was such a great difference as mentioned by countless others.

Ordered 1 x Medium Original and 1 x Medium Traditional Lite from BGW Guitars and they came packed and delivered swiftly.

The first impression was that the Original was pretty thick! I was expecting the Original to be the same thickness with my J3. By somehow, upon playing, the thickness doesn't seem to matter.

Played thru a Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special with PRS McCarty Rosewood clean, and with Jetter GSR/BB Preamp.

My findings:
Alternating between my Dunlop Jazz III picks, the differences are as follows:

1) Original - Somehow, I feel great using this pick, just a great feel. Had more clarity and dynamics, perhaps the sharp edges contributed to the tone as well. This pick is here to stay.

2) Traditional - Thickness and shape is about the same as my J3. Tone wise, slightly better clarity and dynamics but feels great too.

My take, go for the Original V-Pick. Had ordered the Ultra-light traditional for my acoustic. Will post tone review when that arrives.

I just purchased the shredder lite from brendon. The feel is totally AWESOME, the pick doesnt slip at all, and the clarity of the sounds that came out was way better than regular picks from dunlop. I totally love it and I will definitely order another one from him if I happen to lose it. Thanks again brendon!

Review

A friend of mine recently caught sight of the EMG pickups on my guitar and we started talking guitars. He asked if I've heard about the V-Pick, and subsequently proceeded to lend me his V pick Dimension, claiming that once I've used it, I'd never turn back.

... True enough, I got hooked!
I've returned it to him, for fear that I would accidentally steal it. :p
But I'm going to get a stash of my very own soon!

(Benson replies messages so promptly too! Awesome!)

\m/

Now, V picks. What's to say? possibly the best picks in the world! by a mile! ( to each their own tho )

was always a jazz XL user, but switched to V's. came across them while i was surfing across Brendon's site.

best decision i've made in my guitar playing life. tone is better, pick doesn't slip so the runs that i play are smoother and overall a great great pick for the price.

but the best thing is, it has 3 sides ( i'm using the screamer ) so it's 3 times the pick for the price! and they don't wear out easily, and Brendon's a great guy to deal with too =)

there will be more picks coming my way, you can be sure of that !

OMG! i just watch the demo! There is a HUGE VAST different!! Where do i get these picks? (In Singapore) How much do they cost?

All my old pick are dying and getting lost.....

Last edited:
Tried an original from a fren, proceeded to purchase 4 from brendon.

Agree with reviews that the sound is nice and round. The pick works for me best due to my dry hands, always had a problem holding on to picks, somehow v-picks seem to stick to my fingers.

IMO, a good investment for guitarists.

And yes, the service is good.

this pick somehow doesnt stick to my fingers as much as i would have liked since i tend to release and regrip the pick every once in awhile. now trying it with sandpaper glued on to it...yes copying the one that is alr in the market haha!! pretty much did the job, but since i'm more of a rhythm player and the pick doesnt have any flexibility, it rarely sees the light of day haha

I've owed brendon this review for quite a long time already.. here goes!
i've tried several vpicks over time... my personal favourite being the small pointeds. to me, they are perfectly sized. the mediums are too huge and dont sit properly between my fingers.. also, i found the end a little to sharp and it made my tone (especially with gauge 9 strings) a little ice picky and brittle sounding. however, the small pointeds were just right. the shape also allowed me to control my pick attack really well so i could get the ice pick brittle attack if i wanted, or a smoother one if i wanted too. even when the small pointed wears out, tone still sounds awesome.

for speed, i daresay with the small pointeds i could play faster. the grip was just right (i cannot play on any other jim dunlop or anything below 1mm now.) however on the vpick diamond i found it a little hard to play the faster stuff.
the diamond did sound a little louder though, which means the tone improvement is definitely positive. give it a shot if you can. i am curious about the vpick snake too, but since the small pointeds really do it well for me i'm not about to switch over anytime..

thats it!

Ordered and tried a v pick original small and a diamond, yes as the pick thickness increase the tone is fatter too and increase in volume. Initially I had alot of problems with the diamond pick though, alot of ice picking, hard to pick accurately (its really thick!), took me about 2 weeks to adjust to the thick diamond pick, now Im really loving it haha, it may sound too bright to some people though.

Would advise anyone to try the small pointed before moving on to the thicker one.

Wow, tons of great reviews. I think I should give this a try. How do I place an order?

jus drop brendon an email at his website. a little problem i had was that it became slippery when my fingers became oily/sweaty. however if my fingers were dry the grip is phenomenal. Before buying the vpicks i thought the tonal differences were exaggerated, but after i tried the v-picks im 100% convinced.

Thanks! I will definitely want to get a set. Saw Ized used it in the past before but I wasn't all that thrilled. But now, I think it's time to try it out.

Last edited:
jus drop brendon an email at his website. a little problem i had was that it became slippery when my fingers became oily/sweaty. however if my fingers were dry the grip is phenomenal. Before buying the vpicks i thought the tonal differences were exaggerated, but after i tried the v-picks im 100% convinced.

Try glue-ing a small piece of sandpaper to it...or what my bassist does is make cuts in the pick for grip...both work but I'm very dependent on sandpaper now lol

Tried the original V-picks a month back, i'm now into the V-pick Lite and Ultra lite for acoustic picking and strumming. Have to say that the tone is much fuller, easier to strum fast without having to worry about dropping the pick. Time to start a pick collection :)

i've got one of those triangular ones...yes it's really mcuh easier to pick but i feel it doesn't wear out on the edges thus losing the bite and grit when u rake hard or wad

Service : As per the above mentioned comments about Brendon's service, I am happy to say that many other including myself have a very positive experience dealing with him. Delivery of items and reply to emails were very swift and efficient. For others who have made purchases from him, please do recommend him to others as I feel that he deserves it. Such top notch service shouldn't go unnoticed!

First Impression : I've been playing with Dunlop Jazz 3s ( 1.38mm ) so I thought that it would be natural to try the Small Light Pointed version ( 1.5mm ) as they were similar in thickness and size.

1.) First thing I noticed was how comfortable it felt in my hands. The significant thickness along with the smooth surface helps contribute to the improved level of comfort. As described in V-Pick's website I noticed that the pick sticks better and therefore provides a better grip.

2.) As this pick is much thicker, I feel that it stresses my accuracy when skipping strings which I reckon is good practice!!

3.) This pick is feels really smooth when picking and upon closer observation from the pick's side profile, one would notice that the pointed tip of the V-Pick have a smooth transition leading to the tip from the gripping area. The Dunlop Jazz 3s and many other picks I've tried don't seem to possess this trait.

4.) All 3 pointed areas of the pick can be used to play which would contribute significantly to the life span of the pick! A very good design in my opinion!!

5.) I've read that people lost these picks at times as they are transparent but that doesn't bother me much as I've always found transparent/acrylic accessories very appealing! Heck I even have a guitar made out of acrylic and I feel even happier playing that with a V-Pick!! I've also have the habit of placing my picks back at the same place after playing so I've yet to lose any picks yet ( hope it stays this way, V-Picks are expensive!! )

6.) I've had the habit of holding really close to the tip of the pick for better control and this was further reinforced when I started using Dunlop Jazz 3s. As only a small tip of the pick is revealed, I've had no trouble strumming even with the 1.5mm V-Picks. Executing pinched harmonics also feels alright.

Tone : I used to play with normal rounded picks prior to transiting to Dunlop's Jazz 3s. I have never gone back since as playing with a pointed tip produces a far brighter and fatter tone which is something I'm a huge sucker for. Rounded tip picks just sounds flat. The 1.5mm V-Picks I started using produces a brighter and fatter tone relative to the Jazz 3s and I believe one would be able to tell a bigger difference if you've been using rounded picks. I reckon this is due to the increased thickness, the material used and Point No 3 mentioned above.

Summary : One would have to try to be able to tell the difference. For $6 per piece I would say that this is one of the best investments in your equipment for a better tone. If you are skeptical about the claims made on V-Pick's website, I hope that one would relax some of their skepticism and give it a try after reading all the reviews in this thread. Overall, I would definitely recommend this to fellow guitarists!!

After reading all these posts, I knew I definitely needed to try one. What's the worst that could happen, it's just a few dollars:p

Previously (the keyword is previously), I was using Dunlop Jazz III XL and then I moved on to Pickboy 1.5mm Jazz picks. Brendon recommended me to try out the Regular Medium Pointed V-Pick.

I just received them today. When I first held them between my fingers, I can feel that these picks are solid (I know this sounds cheesy but that's what I felt).

As soon as I started playing and I immediately FELL IN LOVE WITH IT! It's like when you first try a guitar/pedal/amp and you know that you found the one. I use gauge .10 strings and these picks really bring out the best tone out of them. Usually my picks wear out fast, but these picks are like 3 for the price of 1 thanks to the triangle shape.

To all those reading this, don't waste time and do yourself a favor, go n try a V-pick today. Of course not every single player will love it, but would you rather miss out on something this wonderful? Nah I didn't think so too!

"Belum try, belum tahu.
Sudah dapat, hari-hari mau!!"

I'm gonna get more!

And of course, awesome service by Brendon!

Last edited:
Back