V-Picks

I just received my v-pick in the post today, courtesy of brendon, with his top-notch customer service.

My first impression when i picked up the pick was that it was way too thick for me. It was hard getting used to it and all. But after playing for awhile, it felt much better.

Moreover, tone wise, it gives you a much brighter sound imo. The harmonics that the pick produced gives a real nice feeling. You need to try to believe it. Speed wise, i feel that i play faster with the V-pick. The end is real sharped and pointed which makes it easier to alternate pick.

To conclude, it is one heck of a pick :D

Thanks Brendon for the pick.:p

I have 3 V picks and my favorite is the Screamer. I managed to get a warm tone with them and they are easy to grip. The thing that I like most is that I managed to pull off nice harmonics with it. The negative part is that they are made of clear plastic which I have difficulty locating them when they are misplaced.

ok i was abit afraid of not receiving the picks in the mail after reading a few lost mails...but well my pick did arrive on time. well it was supposed to arrive ytd but i was in camp so...ok on to the review of the medium pointed (by recommendation of brendon)

i haven't done a full test yet cos my cables are spoilt, but i did a run of my usual routine. speed wise, it doesn't make u play faster, it just makes u take ur mind off ur picking hand and focus more on the fretting hand. the pick slips past the strings pretty easily with surprisingly loud sound. previously (dunlop tortex 1mm and jazz iii) at the same angle i'm picking, i can't hear much but with this pick, whao, big change.

ok to be honest, i'm still not gonna use the v-pick for my strumming, unless i find one that isn't so thick. i prefer the soft sound of the thin picks for strumming, and the v-pick does start to shift abit in my hand after strumming some 6-string chords up-down-up-down...but for power chords and some short riffs, i dun mind using the v-pick.

it DOES take some getting used to especially if u're used to using small picks like the jazz iii, like me, but its worth it, i'm still in the process of getting used to this pick. i hope to review the tone some other time when i go jamming or get my cables :D

Got the v pick yesterday.
I must its very good. I got used to it pretty fast though it seems a little too big for me upon first imppression .
It definately improve your tone. The notes played are much clearer than before. It has a more punchy and stronger sound to it. Most obvious change is when i palm mute(High-gain), it sounded so punchy and clear. As for substain , yes there is longer substain but slightly noticable for me... But it definately holds the note longer.(Play it to feel it). For playin lightning fast, its the same when i use my jazzIII. Probably i need to get used to it first.

V picks are really very nice. It definately increase how good your guitar sounds like(tone wise). It is clearer whether clean or dirty playing.Although it is still too big for me , I recommend this pick.
Thanks Brendon

I am stuck with V-picks now .... other picks just don't work no more!

Now thats bad !

No thanks to Brandon for me getting hooked ?!?!

Be warned ....

You will put it on a chain and hang it round your neck ....

Oh ... i use the Psycho ;)

one more thing i'd like to add.

the thicker the pick, the more squeek or chirp is produced when the pick hits the strings. i dont really enjoy that.

vinni of v-picks had this to say:
http://www.v-picks.com/tips/19

but still it doesnt deter me from buying more vpicks and using them :mrgreen:

I've been using the V-Pick medium pointed for about 9 months now and I am still a firm believer. It really warms up the tone a lot! Love it.

Brendon, thanks for constantly keeping the supplies up! More picks to come!

first impressions: the v-picks look like any other pick. i wasn't too impressed with its weird tapering sides, somewhat like compensation for its thickness.

after playing: i regretted getting a v-pick from brendon! (but read on....)

NOW I'M CONSIDERING THROWING AWAY MY OTHER PICKS!!!

When I hit my first guitar string with the V-pick, it 'caught' the string really well and the strings sounded out real clearly. Strumming wasn't a problem. I headed into slightly faster picking and this was where I realised that the tapering ends played a part in its functional ability.

I put the pick away and picked it up a few days later (no pun intended)
Same effects, same playability. V-picks do not depend on mood! They are sure to produce the same quality anyday. A solid pick for clear, crisp picking!!

Try a V-pick and see it for yourself!

I must be so damn behind the whole V pick craze lah.

I got the Screamer, Snake, Dimension Unbuffed and Diamond Pointed. The first thing I thought was, wow - would these picks actually break my strings?? Turns out they did not break them any more frequent from the previous picks I was using, so that's fine.

From playing with bottle caps as pick substitutes recently, the thickness and angle of the pick attack really changes your tone. I touched the Dimension Unbuffed first becos it's like, the most odd one out of the few I got - the sound is instantly fuller, and the Unbuffed makes it sound, scratchy? Amongst the four the Dimension Unbuffed sounds the brightest.

I play rhythm and most of the time I have to fluctuate between chords and riffs. Somehow The Dimension Unbuffed isn't quite good for chords and riffs - feels like something is stuck in your throat or something. And it's so thick, I haven't gotten used to using it for alternate-picking two strings. But for soloing and all, it is just awesome. The Screamer probably would be everyone's favourite for shredding and all. Indeed, the Screamer's sharp and thinner edge is like... horsepower creatine - it makes you want to whack harder when you do your runs and all.

But I was quite disappointed that after a some half an hour of chords and riffs, the Screamer's edge started to become jagged a wee bit. By the third day it's altered edge just changed the dynamics of my playing, and it wasn't as smooth as before. I wonder why is it that they had made the Screamer from different materials used by the other picks. I try not to use the Screamer as such because it just does not fit well. The tone resultant seems... harsh to me too.

Then I tried the Snake Pointed. It's just as the website says - very smooth, very fast, and also very soft / subtle. This baby made it through my rhythm guitar rigours, and after some "seasoning" through normal playing that did not benefit the Screamer, it developed a sort of an edge which makes it easier to get louder without picking that hard. Without the edged side, the Snake gives an upper-mids tone, with all of the fuller tone than conventional picks. Thinner than the Dimension, it's actually smoother when picking between strings. My only gripe is that even with the developed edge, it still sounds soft and over-yielding.

Finally, Brandon sent me the Diamond Pointed. I was hoping that this would be like in between the Snake and the Dimension Unbuffed. I should have realised by then that the sharper the pick, the less smooth your playing's going to be. The Screamer's so sharp that you could actually peel a durian with it. Hyperboles aside, I'm beginning to warm to the Diamond Pointed as we speak, because it is actually smaller, I like the feel of holding it, and using it for palm muting gives a weird.... sense of delicious satisfaction. Tonewise it seems to return a middle-mids range, just below the Snake Pointed.

These picks are by far the best I've heard with regards to tone, comfort, and durability. Others just dun make the cut. I used to have Stubbies that didn't last one jamming session. They just flattened out. But I think picks are made thin for a reason, and that's because it offers flexibility, as with some that offer that thin, percussive snap that my thick V picks can never hope to do. It's good to see that V-picks have products that cover the thin side, but I'd stick to me V-thickies in the meantime.

Get one today to discover the difference!

V Pick Medium Pointed

V-Pick Medium Pointed.

I've been using my Medium Pointed for about a week, and a few things which pleasantly surprised me happened.

Firstly, I play mostly progressive and alternative rock, which involves a serious amount of "chordal and plectral abuse", but after a whole week of tremolo picking, sweep arpeggios, pick slides and unmentionable other things, my medium pointed still looks, feels and sounds like the day i got it... just magic

Secondly. I wa actually afraid to switch to V-Picks, because i'm a horrible horrible creature of habit, been playing over a decade and still using the same Dunlop Delrin 500 2mm, mainly because it was the only that worked. Trying the Medium Pointed automatically made my picking more accurate (because of the sharp tip) , cleaner (due to the flawless edges) and also tonally more "chio" it have alot more roundedness and the pinch harmonics on my low strings growled like a wild animal with its tail stepped on.

So i vowed to myself never to use another brand of picks ever again... (laughs). V-Picks has anything for anyone...

p.s i still havent dropped my V- Pick yet... still waiting.

V pick

I decided that after using the v pick for a month or so i must say that there is a noticiable tone difference as compared to other picks and i love the feeling as it is really damned smooth to alternate pick with it . It REALLY FEELS GOOD. Thanks once again for the pick brandon

V-Pick Medium Pointed

i haven't had much time to play guitar lately but i had a sit down with this v-pick and a jazz III XL pick. i could tell a lot of differences from my first impression. here goes...

firstly it's a big-ass pick. i've never used heavy or thick picks but i ordered the original medium pointed v-pick based on Brendon's recommendation. it's a culture-shock to my picking hand but i quickly got used to it. i had no problems with the grip even when doing more funk-rhythm stuff and i had to loosen my grip. the pointed triangular sides did not get in the way of my playing. i play mostly old school blues and rock n roll and some blues-funk stuff. my heroes include freddie king, bb king, john mayer, eric clapton and jimi hendrix.

i don't use any effects. my guitar goes directly to my amp so i easily notice changes in tone. of course, all i can do is compare to the jazz III XL pick as that is what i have been using.

i played a few licks with the jazz pick and then swapped to the v-pick. first impression is Woah That's Fat. there's a lot more body to the tone and also sounds more lively. the unique thing is i hear very tight lows but at the same time, more sparkle as well. logically, i'd think that the thickness of the pick brings out more lows and the acrylic material of the v-pick brings out the sparkle. but it is a very good and balanced sound. for this, i give the v-pick two thumbs up for soloing tone. it sounded great from clean to fuzzy tube overdrive. the other obvious thing is the attack. there is sort of more spank, but in a good way. i think this makes the pick sound more lively. it's not the strat kind of spank, but natural, articulate and musical.

the v-pick responded very well to dynamics. i can really pick softly and i can really give that string a good thwack. the v-pick is a hands-down winner in this case over the jazz pick. i feel that's there's less control for the jazz pick and it doesn't articulate as well. i also do a lot of raking, which is also better with the v-pick. the sides are smooth and easily glide over muted strings for smooth raking. i often got a horrible PIAK sound with the jazz pick when raking. maybe it's my technique eyy...

i do notice that i can play faster with the v-pick while also having generally a better feel for my dynamics while playing. i don't really play particularly fast but it feels like it's easier to go from note to note. it didn't feel as good with the jazz pick.

there is one thing that i feel the jazz pick does better. that is funk-based rhythm. the v-pick doesn't quite give you that chug-a-chug feel that i want in funk rhythm. and i don't know but the v-pick makes each string sound too defined for this style... if that makes any sense... that's how i hear it.

so there you have it. my review from the one time that i've had so far with this pick. i hope it helps you guys out. but with everything in music, tone is personal. some may dig it, some won't. for me it is definitely my go-to pick for lead stuff but not so much if i'm playing funk rhythms.

happy tone-searching

- adil

Last edited:
Vpick

Just wanting to write a short review on my very first few impressions of using vpicks.

firstly, like many of us have experienced, Brendon is a great guy. He is helpful and he even send me the picks before i pay him. well, i have some issue in payment coz i do not have DBS or POSB account (contrary to many Singaporean). so after a few tries on the ATM and internet banking on my UOB, Citibank etc. i finally decided that maybe it is easier to just drop a chq into the DBS/POSB bank for him .... which finally i told my wife to do it for me. well, i am not sure when this was done, coz i am not the finance minister at home. anyway, i got the picks as per promised by Brendon and then just realized that my chq was only cleared after i got the picks. meaning Brendon actually send out the picks to me before i pay him. well, i could have just act blur on the payment. so i must say this guy is superb, he honors his word and he really delivers... literally...

ok now back to the v-picks. the very first impression is... omg, they are THICK. but holding them in hand, it feels pretty comfortable as compared to the other picks we all use. then before even using it on the guitars, the first tot in my mind is: how is this "coin" like pick able to produce any good sound??? but anyway, so many good reviews cannot be too much wrong.... so i just put it to use on my strat.... WOW..... not only it really accentuates the thickness of the notes, it really makes it ring out. then i tot.... hmmm... cognitive dissonance perhaps... so i pick up a normal pick that i use, Jazz III, and tried it.... true enough, the volume is lesser at the same strength and the punch is not there as compared to the vpicks. further experiment and hearing concludes further that the vpicks really enhance the mids. but i guess it really depends on player and their tastes, some of us may not like the highs and mids being accentuated. but one thing for sure, you use "lesser strength/energy/intensity" to get the sound you want, thus in this sense, you probably can have "greater range" of your picking... in fact, i think this is the MAIN attributes of Vpicks to sell on if i am to market... the expanded "picking range" if there is such a thing is very helpful to a novice like me and a pro.

then about the "sticking to your hands" i think this really works... well, i tend to attribute this to the fact that since vpick gives you the expanded picking range, that means when you are trying to pick fast and still get the "thickness" of the sound you want, you use lesser intensity and strength... perhaps you are more relax and less tendency to grip hard... well, what i think (cos i sort of coach my 5 yr old girl to play the violin) - in playing any instrument, there must be some optimum holding strength and holding it too hard or too soft can both result in loosing the grip... i.e. i mean the bow of the violin. well, i guess the material of the vpick itself did not really help to make it STICK to the fingers but rather the sound it is giving and also the thickness of it (action and reaction - you feel lesser urge to hold it hard) makes us reach the optimum hold. well, this is purely my own opinion and not based on any scientific evidence, so please do forgive me if i am wrong here.

next, i tried on the acoustic guitar.... wow, i totally love it! as for the electric, i think the vpicks really enhances the acoutic sound of the instrument. the notes are clear and bright (perhaps a little too bright for some depending on your styles). the mids are thick and the guitar sounds reach another dimension.... and even though it is to thick and hard.... i can strum with it very comfortably... even for fast rhythm. in fact, i think it works much better than any other picks for acoustic rhythm. but for picking rhythm wise, i have to work on it a bit, coz still not very used to the thickness. i usually use a much softer pick for acoustic and jazzIII type never works for me in acoustic, but vpicks even though much much harder and thicker, works much better for me than ALL these picks. i am a true convert to vpicks. will definitely get these back if i lose them or break them.

only that as compared to other picks, it is really very expensive. but if you think of it as an integral pick of your sound, i think it is cheap. consider this, violinist spend a few thousands to tens of thousands on just the BOW to get the response and sound.... but we are spending like $0.80 on the MAIN contact point the give YOUR sound? i know it is ridiculous and many may disagree - but as my 5 yr old plays the violin and she uses a bow that cost $80 and yet the teacher even said that this $80 bow will not be good enough for certain type of bowing which she is trying to learn now... some so Sautillé bowing... so perhaps it is time to relook at the picks for our guitars.... as for me and my house.... we think a $10 pick is worth the money if it can gives you a much better sound and perhaps makes you want to practise and play more...

ok thanks for reading...

lastly, THANKS Brendon!

Sean Ng

Vpicks review

Ok just want to give an as objective as possible review of the vpicks which I recently bought from Brendon.

1. Service of Brendon: Very Good
I emailed him about the picks I need then he replied on payment and posting etc. then I tried to do fund transfer over ATM & internet banking but it could not be done. Well, unlike most locals, I do not have DBS/POSB account, so I have problem doing the transfer. Finally after 1-2 days, I told him I will write a chq and ask him to give me his account name so that I can drop the chq into DBS/POSB. Then I told my wife to do it, but I did not know that she actually delayed the transaction 1-2 days. But Brendon instead just mail the items to me without receiving the payment, well I told him I will drop the chq and he just send! I could have just act blur and then get free picks… brendon you are great man!

2. Vpicks: Sound
Now the evaluation, the very first impression is that wow these vpicks are thick man! In fact, it feels like holding a coin. So I try it first on a strat, surprisingly it is very very easy to use for picking. Sound wise, it really improves the overall volume, “thickness” and accentuates the mids and mid highs. I noticed that the bass notes/strings sounded just louder a tad instead of being accentuated. Overall it sound very balanced and more “meaty”. I think depending on music style and preference, some may not like the improvement the vpicks is giving you. But I like it a great deal! With all things being equal, what vpicks will do is to increase your “presence” thus you will be able to cut the mix much better with everything else remain the same. So this point alone is good enough for any live player!

I also tried it on acoustic guitar and similarly it really accentuates the highs and mid-highs. I must say that the highs may not be as comfortable to some but again if you are a live player, without changing anything else, you will find that vpicks allow you to cut the mix much much easier.

3. Holding: surprising very stable
Ok, when I first hold the vpicks, I do not believe that it will “stick” to my fingers as claimed. But it actually does! I do not really think it is due to the material. My humble theory is that, due to the better and louder sound you get from vpicks, the player actually gets more relax and achieve the “optimum” hold on the pick when playing. If you hold any pick too light, it will not “stick” for sure but then if you hold it too hard, it will also slip. There is an optimum hold strength and I think for any instruments with a “plucking or bowing” device such as our guitar, cello, violin etc. we can achieve the optimum hold strength when we are getting the best feedback from the sound we are making (i.e. increased in confidence). But I may be wrong coz I am no expert in this man! In any case, I find that the claim on a much better hold of vpicks is true for me, just that I do not think it is the material. I did try to use a wet fingers to hold it … it does not stick…. :p

4. Value: Superb
Yes a $6-15 pick is super expensive but consider this….. a good bow for a violin can also cost thousands of dollars! Think we seldom consider this, the pick is the contact point to make the vibration of the guitar string so as to produce the sound, thus it is one of the most critical component of our guitar sound but yet we pay like $1 for a pick at most…. At $6 or even more, and if it just gives the value as depicted above, I think it is good enough!

In Conclusion:
Vpicks is here to stay for me…. Yes it may not be as phenomena as some may expect, but it certainly change your mindset about how much a pick can change your sound. I do not doubt that there could be better picks out there, or maybe the $1 JazzIII is good enough and one only may find marginal improvement (if at all) with the vpick, but for the majority of us, I think vpicks does really improve our sound quite a bit – well, technically the word will be statistically significantly…

Enjoy music, enjoy life!

Cheers!
Sean

Vpick review

Vpicks review

Review of V picks I bought from Brendon.

1. Excellent Service

I’ve bought some Vpicks from Brendon before. The enquiries I gave and the responses I got were very prompt. I recently ordered another batch and it so happens he still remembers my contact and postage address.

2. Sound Review

I’ve ordered a few models but most notably my favourites are the medium pointed and snake. I kinda prefer them over the rounded and diamond because of their edges. It adds ‘bite’ to your sound and assures you’ll be heard above the mix. Yea they do cost as compared to normal picks but the tone it gives, it really makes a difference and is justifiable. It somewhat manages to “beef up” your sound and accentuate your playing. With the Vpick, picking the strings happens to be somewhat easier, perhaps it’s the technique, but it feels the pick is under your direct control. With the Vpick, there’s no flex and resistance when playing the guitar.

Summary

Initially I was a bit skeptical and wasn’t used to it. But after giving it some time, I became a Vpick convert. I do use my old picks sometimes, Dunlops lucky 13s and tortexs, mainly for messing around and practice maybe? The Vpick is definitely a must for live shows and gigging.

Thanks Brendon!

Keith :cool:

V picks

Just ordered some straps and Vpicks from Brendon a couple of weeks back.

I wish to thank Brendon for his excellent service and replies which are prompt and detailed. I have bought things from him more than once and i have no issues with him at all.

I truly recommend the vpick if you're looking for the correct pick for yourself. The past picks i use were, stubbies 3.0mm and jazz tortex III picks. The vpick that i ordered was a medium pointed and it was almost like a hybrid between the two.

A few things i love about the v pick.

1) Good grip with 3 sides of all the same. Don't have to worry about playing on the wrong sides.

2) A slight change in tone. The notes i hit became brighter. Perhaps because of the material used to make the v pick.

3) The edges are sharp just like the stubbies and it can last 3 times longer(because of 3sides).

4) The thickness is just right for me. 2.75mm. The 3mm small stubbies feels a little too thick.

Just one thing that i have not gotten use to for the pick.

I sometimes play rhythm and it gets a little hard with strumming because i am pretty afraid my strings will give away when i do that. Other then that, i am pretty sure i will be sticking to vpicks for a long time. :cool:

Back