V-Picks

After hearing the great reviews of the pick, I decided to try one myself.

I contacted Brendon and was recomended the "Regular Medium Pointed". The delivery was fast as the picks arrived the following day. The service given by Brendon was excellent. Previously I was using the Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.0mm. The pick, although was much thicker, felt comfortable.

By reading the previous post, most know that there is a difference in tone. But the one thing that I wish to highlight is that is makes alternate picking easier. All of us have our "runs" that we normally do. For me, at times, I would miss one or two notes when the runs get faster. However with this pick, somehow I managed to "get" all the miss notes.

Give it a try, I know you will not regret. What have you got to loose?

just ordered 2 medium pointed V picks from Brendon, BGW guitars. As promised by him, it came swiftly in 2 working days in my post box.

Initially the tone difference was not very audible, upon further playing i feel the main difference in tone is the extra mid range it delivers. Definitely increase in volume and a rounder tone.

But most importantly to the me, the feel of the pick when attacking the strings was the winning factor. it just feels the way right, , not like some cheap plastic.

Plus it looks like it can easily outlast 6 dunlop picks so i guess its worth the 6 bucks! Going to go for the dimension next time.

i received one last X-mas. due to the way i play it, it didn't last very long but it's no fault of the pick of course.

i received one last X-mas. due to the way i play it, it didn't last very long but it's no fault of the pick of course.

how does ur index finger withstand picking so hard? i cant even wear out a jazz 3. all my previous jazz 3s were either lost or given away or thrown away due to pick scrapes marks too near the picking area LOL

I was initially skeptical about how much difference a pick can make to your tone while playing. So I placed an order from Brendon, BGWguitars and was recommended the V-Pick Mediums. Before that I was using Planet Waves 1.2mm Tortex-material kind of pick.

So when I got mine yesterday, I immediately went down to doing an A/B test using the V-pick, a 1.2mm plastic pick and the 1.2mm tortex pick using my Fender Strat and Rally Les Paul. First impression was that the V-Pick was much thicker than what I'm used to, but I adapted to it after awhile.

And What a difference it made! Now my tone sounds much fuller and warmer. My bass notes are rounder, not as harsh as when I was using the tortex and plastic pick. I didn't have to play with too much effort because the V-Pick just glide through the strings making fast runs and riffs much easier to play.

So anyone who is skeptical like me should give it a try too. =D It's worth the $6 that you pay...

Just got mine 3 days ago! And I AM NEVER LOOKING BACK!

It's really is a NICE pick!
I was actually skeptical that a pick could make that much difference but it really does! I got a medium pointed one like Brendon recommended as received the day after. As far as service goes he has the best service. Going back to the pick, the major difference that i feel from the pick is the 're-gripping' of the pick. There's always that 're-gripping' that is present in other picks and in a way because of that i found that the V-Pick was quite weird to play at first. But after playing for awhile and getting used to it that 'no more re-griping' is actually it's best quality! You'll find that your techniques are getting smoother and cleaner. Your tone from your guitar actually gets better because of its design and material.

Definitely worth the buy, i'll buy more myself and create a collection! :D

I recommend others to buy it and experience it for themselves!

Thanks Brendon for your wonderful service! And also the V-Picks!
Expect to hear from me soon!

hello+kitty+v-picks.JPG

they are great picks indeed. hope they incorporate more grip considerations in their designs...

I've been a Jim Dunlop 2.0mm user for 9 years and I swear by that pick. However after receiving my V picks today, everything has changed.

This review would be a comparison with the stubby and the V-pick medium pointed, which I felt it was the most suited for me in terms of size, thickness and sharpness for the whole play-ability.

The very first thing I did when I held the pick was to do a pinch harmonic. OH MAN! The difference was huge, the sound came out with more clarity and the scream was with more shrill and OHMPH!!!! Its well sheared sides gave the pick a sharp pointy edge which no other commercial picks have. In ballad solos, the attack from the pick accentuate all the nuances giving you a fatter sound on individual notes. For shreddy runs, the sharp edges picks up all the notes providing consistency in the volume and clarity in pitch, leaving no room for muffled ones. Overall, it bridges the connection between the guitar and player to a whole new level of enlightenment and euphoria that only ceases along with the playing. It's 3 sides all in one pick rather than your traditional one sided! How value for $$$$, you got that right!

As all shredders would know that a thick and sharp pick is best for shredding due to its rigidity for better control over fast picking on strings and the sharp edge of the pick would flick the string harder bringing the full characteristic of the note. Using the V-pick improved the fluidity of my runs and gives me better control in my playing.

The only change one have to make, is to buy it and the rest is history. It's only 6 dollars.....so mai kniao (don't stingy)...

Conclusion: The feeling is........*image your first time laying your innocent hand on the boob of your first girlfriend, grasping it with your holy might* SHIOK ONLY!

Even though my picks arrived later than expected, Brendon, out of his goodwill dropped an extra complimentary pick. Kudos to him for his service recovery effort and I appreciate it :)

Last edited:
i've been a long time Dunlop Stubby user. after trying the V-pick, i'm still a Stubby user not that the V-pick is lousy- no. just that the pick doesn't address some of my playing concerns. but i still use them during breaks, when i feel i need to have something 'different' between my fingers when i play.

+1 to Brendon's impeccable service standards
animal-smiley-4898.gif

can any one please reccommend which thickness to use?

i mostly play leads and solos , so would a 2.75 or a 1.5 suffice?

I think its down to preference. Do u like fat picks or thin picks. The pointy edges are very sharp so I dun think it makes much of a difference.

I think its down to preference. Do u like fat picks or thin picks. The pointy edges are very sharp so I dun think it makes much of a difference.

that's the thing , i once remember loving to play with a stubby , but then i lost it , and used a regular 1.75mm pick , it and feels much better . but now i cant give an accurate preference , cause i forgotten how it felt like

the thickness makes a difference. it determines how much energy you use to pick your strings, many of us don't realize this is happening. we just don't think about it, we hold a pick & start playing. Dunlop Stubby doesn't come in an in-between thickness, only 1/2/3mm. you can check out the V-pick instead.

the thickness makes a difference. it determines how much energy you use to pick your strings, many of us don't realize this is happening. we just don't think about it, we hold a pick & start playing. Dunlop Stubby doesn't come in an in-between thickness, only 1/2/3mm. you can check out the V-pick instead.

yeah i used a 3mm stubby , but i lost it.

im looking at a medium pointed screamer , but cant decide on the thickness , argh! i dont wanna waste $6 , but the positive reviews and comments beckons me to try out new things.

one thing about thick picks which i dislike , is the chirping noise it makes , eeeuugwh...

so im looking into the preference of v pick users! i mean an agreeing majority is better then nothing right?

I feel that V picks make you very dependent on them. especially the psycho. once you start playing one, it's hard for you to revert back to normal picks. This is both a good and a bad thing. I feel is more of a bad thing if you happen to not bring your preferred v pick to your gig. even though Jazz IIIs are widely available, it's just so hard to get used to it again.

I tried to like V-Picks. It definitely had a nicer feel to it, but Stubby had a better tone to it compared to the V-Pick. Gave away all of mine but kept the Diamond for fun.

ah...

Got mine in the post box just within two days of order. Speedy!

Been using the Dunlop 1.14 Purple tortex and has been serving me well for my past amateurish years. Nothing wrong with the tortex but the buzz on this thread made me want to check this out…

Emailed Brendon and was recommended the regular medium pointed and the lite medium pointed. The regular V pick was much thicker then the 1.14 tortex while the lite version was pretty much… comparable in terms of feel of the 1.14.

My first impression is that the strummed chords seems to be more , for the lack of a better word, firm… or perhaps more articulated it had sounded.More detail and clarity. Playing solos wise, the notes sounds clearer and brighter.. I am actually quite surprised that these v picks have an considerable effect on tone and the choice of picks are much often overlooked in importance of tone chasing. The difference initially seems subtle but after hours with it.. The difference is more obvious...

in a nutshell... I feel that V picks generally improves the clarity of my tone....Give it a go…!

Last edited:
I'd have to give props to Brendon of BGW. I used to own a couple of V-Picks, namely the Small Pointed, Medium Rounded, Screamer and Diamond. I gave all of them away but kept the Diamond as it was very very warm sounding. My preferred pick remained the Stubby.

So after reading my post above, I got a complementary pack from Brendon with a fresh V-Pick Tradition and a Medium Pointed pick. Don't think anybody can top that kinda service! Sure enough, the V-Picks sound fatter than a 2.0mm Stubby, and around the same as a 3.0mm Stubby. However there's this 'glassy' top end to it, like adding a lil complexity to your overall tone. I pick HARD. And like I mean REALLY HARD. So my Stubby can be lose it's edge within an hour, and starts to be dull after 3 days of playing. But the greatest advantage the V-Pick has is it doesn't wear out that fast, and in the long run saves cash in getting picks.

Now this has peaked my curiosity to trying out other V-Picks. Think I'll contact him soon again. Thanks Brendon!

Back