V-Picks

Just got my first set of v picks from Brendon this week! Decided to join in and find out what all the hype was about. Had quite some trouble with it not arriving in the mail after a week but it finally came. I've been using jazz III s (like everyone else seems to be) for a really long while and never really got used to thicker picks when i gave them a go. I've used stubbys once or twice but never kept to them.

First thing i can say is that i was really surprised as how comfortable it was to use the picks, i was expecting them to be cumbersome right of the bat due to the size and thickness. It really does provide a better grip as advertised and has little chance of slipping away from you. The biggest difference i noticed immediately was the difference in volume, much louder than jazz III s or the stubbys i tried it against. For me, i felt tone wise there was an increase in presence and fatness, for lack of a better word to describe it. Also a slight bump in the mids and highs, clarity would probably be a good way to put it. Definitely good for lead lines and the like.

As to whether i'll be relying on these as my go to pick i'm still not very sure! Personally i found the difference in tone rather subtle. Not sure if i'd be willing to pay six dollars a pop for each one in the long run. Glad i had a chance to check these out though.

Just saw this thread and thought i would write a review about it.

Got a original and ultra light from Brendon some time back, have been using these picks for a month now. Was previously using normal picks and decided to check these out.

When i received them, i was really surprised by the thickness of the original. I thought it would be impossible to play with them. But i was really surprised how quickly i got used to it.

So here's my simple noob review of the v-picks

Pros:
- In terms of tone, definitely better than standard picks. Louder and fatter tonal quality.
- Really comfortable and offers better grip compared to standard picks.
- I find it easier to do pinch harmonics due to the sharp tip but it really is down to personal preference.

Cons:
- That chirpy sound you get, especially when using thicker v-picks. Thinner ones like the ultra light are still ok.
- Hmmm, aren't exactly cheap, compared to other picks...
- Heart-aches everytime u do a pickslide (Refer to pt above =P)!
- Really easy to get misplaced and really hard to find it afterwards!

Somehow, you build a kind of reliance towards it when u use it for long enough. But maybe it's just me. The size, shape and thickness are just right for me. Right now, my favourite is the ultra light.

Overall, i think these are good picks. Definitely worth recommending if you're ok with the price.

Cheers to Brendon for the good service too.

-Jon-

Hi peeps,

stumbled upon this thread and decided to buy the Screamer Medium pointed one. Emailled Brendon at brendon@bgwguitars.com yesterday. But no reply to date. Any idea whether I got the wrong email or something else? Thks in advance.

Just wondering, is it possible to break these picks?

I heard they are of high quality, but im the kind that breaks a pick monthly at minimum.

Also, has anyone tried the v-picks duet? Please review. Thanks :)

I think these picks are close to indestructible. Once you've held it in your palm, you'd know. It's thick and at the very most it'll wear out really fast before actually breaking (if that's even possible with such thickness),

I once broke one of the thinnest models (forget which one exactly) by sitting on it in my wallet repeatedly. :(
If not, relative to normal picks, they seem indestructible by normal usage. As in, you're never gonna break it by playing.

PA030003.jpg

What's a review without pics right?

I've been using different picks before the v-picks came along, my fav being the ultex jazzIII (top centre) until a few hours ago. I'm not a believer in marketing bull on how great products work, but I, like some of us like to read reviews on how it really works when it is really used. So here are my opinions and thoughts:

Decided to spoil myself with a couple of well, high end picks to see if its really good. I ordered the screamer (lower middle), Diamond (lower right) and Brendon recommended the normal medium (lower left). These arrived 2 days later in the mail, super service. Thumbs up for that.

For ease sake, I'll just break down quickly on:

picking/strumming

Normal medium: Good feel, sounds more warm/rounded than the screamer, about the same with the Diamond. Just a tad smaller than the screamer on surface area, but about the same thickness. Good for both picking and strumming, hence the versatility.

Screamer: Its really pointed, sounds heavenly when picking, playing riffs. Strums just as well, but slightly higher pitch sounding tone, prob due to the pointed end. Feels good when picking, you can feel the contact between the pick and strings. This pick is more prone for picking style

Diamond: 4.0mm Thick pick. Great for strumming, you don't need to use a lot of strength for it either. The tone and volume is remarkable. However, being a thick pick, I can't really feel the contact of the strings when picking or strumming, its a bit of a downer on that. Not only I want good fat tones, I would like to feel it too. Well, can't have the best of both worlds. This pick is good/better for strumming.

Tone

All three picks get better tone than what I previously used. Thickness and material plays a huge part.

Comfort

All right, these are by far the most comfortable picks I had. The feel and grip of these are just nice and feels comfortable on the fingers.

Again, the above review are only my opinion and thoughts, so yours and others may differ.

My new favorite is the screamer until a next v-pick can overthrow my choice..maybe I will wait up for santa to mail me more..hohoho..

Last but not least, the service from Brendon. Absolutely salute his standard of service..Fast and trustworthy to his buyers. Cheers mate! Keep up the good vibes in our community.

Sean.

Just to add in to the bulk of positive feedbacks/reviews from fellow softies. I ordered the V-Pick Diamond ($15) and the delivery was delayed by 4 days. When I finally received my order in the mail , Brendon included a V-Pick Medium ($6) as 'compensation'. I was very happy with his service and I would like to highlight one point - Brendon ships his stuff to you before payment (not the other way round). I mean.. come on, who does that? Usually (I do buy stuff online) you pay the stipulated amount before the item gets delivered to you. This just goes to show Brendon's trust and dedication to his customers.

Now to the actual review. I used the V-Pick Medium (the V-Pick diamond was for my friend) and it really makes your playing more audible than what normal picks are capable of.

Why should you get a V-Pick?
- It increases your pick attack naturally.
- It trains your right-hand-picking dexterity.
- Your harmonics are much more audible.
- It increases your note accuracy. (If you're playing with the right technique that is.)
- If it wasn't this good, there would'nt be a lot of good reviews to this post - agree?

Back