Pedalboard Pictures!

tuner --> wah --> kalamazoo --> ht-dist --> DMB
Yeah, that's pretty standard. Place the pedals that you'll use more (or need to hit easily while acting cool / not looking at the board, like whichever one you use for chorus parts/solos) in front... physical placement doesn't have to follow the actual signal chain, just need the right length of patch cables and some creativity.

Was feeling greedy, wanted to throw everything there and then figured out i need new, longer patch cables and really lazy to go and physically fix them up.
Yea i'm just gonna put those important ones.

Ahem

Those are just my thoughts and my opinions. Why would you not consider the sd1 anyways? If you tune in between a song then yeah, tuner last in chain is a bad idea, but hey its a pitchblack, its very accurate, anywhere.

And yeah id rather not argue with you. My post was directed to zesn anyways.

Tuner always first in signal chain, why would you want to tune an effected signal?
Anyway thanks for your opinion.
I love my dist and i need to keep it there, the sd-1 is quite a spoiler even though it can boost some gain..
the tone suck is woah.

d784c56c.jpg

Waddup brah.. looking good as usual, what happened to all the Moog stuff btw?!

Tuner always first in signal chain, why would you want to tune an effected signal?
Anyway thanks for your opinion.
I love my dist and i need to keep it there, the sd-1 is quite a spoiler even though it can boost some gain..
the tone suck is woah.

Tone suck? Isn't it the only buffered pedal in your set-up? Assuming your wah was modded to true bypass like what most do.

Also while it is better to put a tuner first in the chain, it is not a MUST.

Tone suck? Isn't it the only buffered pedal in your set-up? Assuming your wah was modded to true bypass like what most do.

Also while it is better to put a tuner first in the chain, it is not a MUST.

Also you dont have any swirly stuff. An e string will still sound like an e string even if its distorted.

actually it does make sense to tune the geetar with its signal going straight into the tuner input.

Why most does it that way, is not of a preference thingy but according to the physic of sound measurement of wanting the tuning to be as close to the fundamental frequency of the individual string(tuning accuracy) without additional harmonics frequencies that
might affect the reading/sensitivity of the tuner.

Hehe, of course, both ways of placement will still get a reading on the tuner, no doubt bout it.

Distortion, depending on the amount and difference in harmonic content, will at least affect the speed of tuning, even if the overall accuracy is still quite good. Furthermore, the Deluxe Memory Boy has very extreme chorus/vibe modulation, and even a clean delay will also be a hassle when tuning multiple strings in succession.

Since both sides agree it makes little difference, why not just put it at (or near) the start instead of finding ways to justify putting it at the end?

Last edited:
Since everything is thru-bypass anyways it doesn't really matter where the tuner is?
It's better to be at the start but in some cases the wiring doesn't allow you to do so.

Haha, I'm not a believer in true bypass. In fact, I would think having it at the end of a bunch of true bypass pedals, being further from the guitar, will result in a weaker reading (whether significant or not, I don't know).

But the bypass is not the issue, it's more the practical concern of having to turn off some or all pedals in between songs in order to tune effectively.

The only situation where I found it 100% beneficial to put a tuner after something was a super clean compressor, if not some guitars with less sustain are quite irritating to tune as the reading keeps fading out quickly.

But we all agree it's subjective and case-to-case basis, so let's move on lol. Everyone should just use a Snark clip-on nowadays. :cool:

Last edited:
it's more the practical concern of having to turn off some or all pedals in between songs in order to tune effectively.

The above is what make most sense as well other than wanting to measure the fundamental, to have the tuner all the way infront.

if just bedroom wanker, it prolly doesnt make much difference, but if need to play shows often and tuning inbetween songs, heh, no one prolly like to step dance frequently, just to tune.

Of course tuning still can be done, but then, just like picking my nose, why would i wanna put my arm round my head before my finger can penetrate my nose when i can just poke me finger straight into my nose.

Lol relax guys, don't need to quibble over this.
Agreeing with carboxymoron and pathein..
It makes the most sense to have the fresh signal from guitar going into the tuner.
So i'm just gonna put it at first anyway.

And about the buffered thing..
I'm just leaving the sd-1 out of the equation because it doesn't sound as good everywhere it goes.
The wah isn't modded also, and sucks tone too.
Might not be using it often so i can leave it out, and live with the suck when i need to =/

As much as i don't believe in true bypass, i cannot hear the distinct tone suck in my TB pedals.

Hmm, try playing without the wah and see hows the signal? Im not too knowledgable on wahs, but i have heard horror stories on how wah "sucks your tone".

It's cheap, fast, portable, cute.
But definitely not the most accurate.
I'm anal about my tuning. =D

THIS! Best tuner ever! Portable, cute, accurate, fast. What more can you ask for?

Clip on tuners dont exactly work when you'r in a studio with a thumping bass player. My snark started to go off in tuning accuracy when I tried to tune my guitar in midst of all the action, the tuner started to pick up all those vibrations.

For me a pedal tuner is a must. For all secondary purposes, it also doubles as a mute switch.

Back