Pedalboard Pictures!

Mr. Middleman Returns

I half-heartedly went along with an idea the Idolmaker had worked out with Mr. Middleman. It was more out of curiosity than anthing though I must admit that the bait had me tempted. The promises of easy cash made me hesitate, made me doubt myself. Mr. Middleman had a Japanese "connection". He wasn't cashing in with the Goose's pedal so much anymore so he decided "we" would launch "Gomer Effects" and dump these into the Japanese market. They were waiting hungrily. I just needed to lend my name to it. I just had to come up with pedals. Which pedals? It didn't matter to these two what the pedals were. They didn't know or care. Anything. The Idolmaker had been fascinated with a couple of pedals I had modded years ago which just sat on my shelf. One was the DOD Vibrothang. This pedal, modded, had freaked him out. "You need to bottle that shit and sell the piss out of it, son". He took to calling me "son". Nevermind that it really wasn't mine. Another one was an opto-compressor. He loved it. It gave his copped blues licks "that" sound. It unfortunately ran on a bipolar 18 volts and was a lovelovelovelovelove to work the bugs out with a charge pump. It took too much of a current draw. It needed a true bipolar supply. That wasn't really the problem though that I had with it. It was too closely related to Jack Orman's and Midwest Analogue's retake on the Anderton Compressor for me to feel comfortable in using it other than just for myself. "Huh? What?" said the Idolmaker. "I don't care where it comes from, you need to bottle that shit and sell the piss out of it... son". Through the months we piled up a handful of these "sell the piss out of them" circuits. They were to be sold on the Japanese market by a Japanese distributer as "Gomer's Effects" through Mr. Middleman's Music Store. Every ripped off one of them. A fact which nobody, not in the slightest, seemed to care about. This was Business.

I found myself sitting across the table one evening with the Japanese Connection. I was squeezed between Mr. Middleman and the Idolmaker. Plans were being formed. The Japanese guys were very nice, I must say. Extremely polite and well mannered. They treated me with the greatest respect which I believe to this day was sincere. I don't really know though. My question to them was simple. Why me? In fact, why any of this? Why this intense interest in circuits which actually go back 30 years in some instances and originated in the minds of Japanese designers? True engineers and true electronics experts? Why do you guys pay so much money for Americans to rip off your own circuits and resell them to you? The rather sad thing was that the older man (there was an older man and his traveling mate who was the guitar playing demo tester) knew this though I don't think anyone ever straight out asked him. He looked slightly embarrassed but he took the time to go on and try to explain the situation in Japan to me.

In a nutshell, Japanese youth is as propagandized as the rest of us. They are ignorant of the roll their own fathers have had in shaping the industry for musical equipment gear. They believe too that someone like the Goose is offering something never before seen. The poison has been very effective. There are voices of dissent I did discover later when I got the chance to correspond with 2 bona fide Japanese electronics engineering experts. They know full well what guys like the Goose, and other such bullshitters with "5 Year Business Plans" are doing. You think AG is heated about this? These guys are too. More so even because it's steeped in a kind of Nationalism. A pride in what their own countrymen have done and a general lack of appreciation for their own past by their own youth. This may sound odd but they resent the pilfering of their own heritage's IP in terms of electronics innovation. I completely understand this and I cannot say that I blame them. Freestompboxes.org isn't the only place you'll find that this kind of crap just burns the hell out of some people.

I grudgingly gave my consent and the dinner ended. I was to be the new Goose. The next night, to my surprise, the older and younger visiting Japanese gentlemen showed up to my gig. To my even greater surprise the first Goose came along too. The younger man, Jun, sat in with us and he was an excellent guitarist. Before he left we went through the pedals on my board. He really liked them a lot but it was hard to tell what they were by just looking at the board. There was one particular "pedal" he was interested in. It was six circuits in a cake pan. All run in series. I unscrewed the cake pan from the piece of raw wood it was sitting on and the young man's eyes grew large and wide. "Dan-erectro?". Yeah, man... Danelectro mini pedals. All the non OD/Distortion ones which interested me. I love them. "Ohhh", he said... "Sound good!". Yes, they sure do.
He also like my gutted, modded, truebypassed, toggle switched to hell Peavey Hotfoot Distortion - my Rat pedal... my own personal "'Mo' D" distortion costing a grand total of $28. He wanted that one. I gave it to him and he took it home with him back to Japan.

The next day I told the Idolmaker about the exchange. His response... "There you go son, that there's our pedal lineup. You need to bottle that shit and sell the piss out of it."

Gomer goes to Alabama

This is the end of the story. The meeting with the Japanese had happened in January '07. It was expected that I would start small with anything and build up the whole "lineup" over time. "Product" was due in May. What "product" was I to build? Nobody cared. It didn't matter. Just build anything. I built nothing. This set the Idolmaker off. I needed to get serious with this. I needed to get structure in my life. I was screwing it up for everyone and time was wasting. Eventually, after being badgered almost weekly by the Idolmaker about my lack of progress and my lack of life structure, I collected all my bodged, hand drawn circuit diagrams and modded schematics. Smudged, sloppy, half finished - I put them in a makeshift portfolio. I hopped a flight on a PA28 Piper Cherokee with a friend of mine to a place in Alabama to meet with an industrial designer. My friend would drop me off there, I'd take care of business and he would return to pick me up in a few days after he visited his family in Nashville.

I was dropped off at the destination airport. I rented a car, got a hotel room and then headed out to my meeting with the schematics engineer. He was very patient and helpful. $1000 and a day and half later my shoddy portfolio of half assed modded circuits; circuits which, in my mind, weren't even rightly mine, had been transformed into an impressive array of professional level, factory production ready work. I'd recoup some of the money through the boards ordering. All that was left to do now was to give them one last go over, making sure all was correct because once the schems went out there was no turning back. Any mistakes made would be just tough luck and I'd have to fix the miscues afterwards.

I sat in that hotel room for 3 days due to a problem on the return leg with my friend Jim. It wasn't his fault. It couldn't be helped. I decided to wait because he needed help with the rental costs of the plane. In the ensuing 3 days I flatly, finally decided to trash the whole idea. Once and for all, for good. I couldn't live right with the "plan". It wouldn't let me rest. It was a blatant lie. I was going to be selling pedals which weren't my designs, through people who didn't even care and didn't even really like me. I was just the new Goose. The past six months had shown the plan coming apart and it had made these people I mistook for friends very unhappy with me. This was to be a Business after all and I was just born, maybe bred - I don't know - to be incapable of going along with this kind of thing. I fought it the whole way and in the end, deep down inside I considered it an illegitimate scam. The company I was keeping was with liars and scammers. They of course did not see it that way in the slightest. They were Businessmen. They had a vision. They were going to be players. The were going to have clout. They were providing a service people needed. They were Professionals. All that crap. All that total, pure, salesman crap. Didn't know what they were selling. Did care in the slightest. They just saw sheep and they wanted to be the shearers.

The Idolmaker ended up finding someone else. He had to have. This was the guy who six months earlier watched as I used a multimeter to check for speakerwire continuity with stark wonder. "What's that beeping noise mean?".

He has set himself up as the Goose. He's free to do this. I'm free to ignore it and move on. I expect that he should leave any connection with me out of it. May he lay eggs-a-plenty.

my new setup
427.jpg

oh my goshh! niceeee

haha, forget to indicate in the post, i didnt wrote that, its all cut and paste from a big hooohaaasss thread among a particular diy/clone effect forum where lotsa booteek makers are active in as well. The copy past is only bout 1% of the whole thread(more than 50 over pages or perhaps even more if i remember correctly) that deal with ethical issues in pedals biz, design etc. Its even better than soap opera...
icon10.gif

pathein: i read the post in its entirety. i'm glad i don't splurge my money on shit like that. only od pedal i ever owned was a bad monkey, which was really awesome, btw. i hope more people read that and gain awareness.

haha, forget to indicate in the post, i didnt wrote that, its all cut and paste from a big hooohaaasss thread among a particular diy/clone effect forum where lotsa booteek makers are active in as well. The copy past is only bout 1% of the whole thread(more than 50 over pages or perhaps even more if i remember correctly) that deal with ethical issues in pedals biz, design etc. Its even better than soap opera...
icon10.gif

I've read that before...

It is pretty amusing that a modded TS or something simple circuit worth a couple of dollars can fetch a ridiculous amount of $. The techics laugh...

On the other hand, regardless of what the box at the musician's feet is really worth... there's the intangible value that still exists - does the pedal mess with the player's mind in the right way? Does it make him play in his best way? You know? Stuff like that...

I guess if some famous guitarist bought a Langraff DO and ended up inspired to make some music... who's gonna fault him for buying a pricey tubescreamer?

On the other hand... to clone circuits and then goop them... *cough*love*cough*pe*cough*del*.

woah, shreddy, if you take out the dmm and replace with the small one, you can add one more pedal on it at least
icon10.gif

woahhh rau eh, echoczar wait 3 years????

Not sure what are the extras in the current version of echoczar, mine was 2006 model and the waiting time was couple months only, then. 3 years now is ...WOAHHHHH!!

Yeah, I know. I have a modded DD3 on the way. I rem when it was my first delay pedal back in the day and I was upset with how it sounded stock. The repeats kept getting in the way of my playing, so I got it modded with that hi-cut mod.

I COULD mount the DD3 on top of the DMM ya know? Bwaahaha.

How's the Echoczar faring? Is it giving you what you expected/wanted?

Hey Sub.. I can't discern a few pedals..
The maroon pedal (its not the Fudge right?_=)
The Tone Factor pedal
The black pedal between the Screwdriver and Turbo Tuner
The powered by Celestion pedal

But nice board! It shows how Goose's pedals can still maintain their stand amidst other effects boutiques! Goose should go global lah.. Like how Levan keeps emphasizing that local bands need to go global, so do our effect builders!!! :mrgreen:

Sub? What sub? Subversion believes in amps. Not pedals.

The maroon pedal on the right is a BYOC script phaser with 2 extra knobs because that increases the tone three-fold. ;)

The ToneFactor pedal is the old Analog Filter. Its an envelope filter, so far, the best feeling and sounding one I've tried.

That black pedal is a BamBasic NuPlex Overdrive. Its a single silicon transistor drive, much like the Beavis Audio Trotsky Overdrive. Google BamBasic and for clips, the Beavis Audio Trotsky Overdrive. Sounds more dynamic and much bigger than the Trotsky. It has 3 modes of operation - silicon diode clipping, germ diode clipping and no diodes/clean boost. The 1st option gives a slightly mid-scooped raw jangle... pretty mean. The germ takes that, rounds off the silicon-ness and adds growl to the lower-midrange and its more meaty. The clean boost... that's what I'm using it for. It sort of boosts the lower mids a little and adds "air" to the overall sound. Like how a jazz hollowbody sounds. Something like that. But because of the enhanced lower mids, if I have the blackstone and screwdriver on, the tone turns into a growling riff monster. Running the BS into it thickens the overall tone - a nice variety. Running it into the screwdriver has the growl effect. It would be good to note the kind of tone I love, many people comment it has a lot of fizz.

The powered by celestion pedal is a heavily modded Boss CE2. True bypassed, vol boost when stock is no longer there and the bass is increased. Has switches to change the character of the chorus and to double the rate. Organ sounds and metallic flangey sounds are available. An old favourite that might sound a little boxy at room volumes but when jamming and loud, the boxy-ness issue becomes overshadowed by the fact that its very light and pleasing to the ears.

I COULD mount the DD3 on top of the DMM ya know? Bwaahaha.

How's the Echoczar faring? Is it giving you what you expected/wanted?

talking bout mounting, how mount rehousing the dd3 and dmm in one, throw in extra stompswitch that changed the connect sequence of the 2 delays(dd3 to dmm or dmm to dd3)

echoczar was more of a educational thingy for me at that point. Finally get to hear the "whats so analog bout analog delay in pedal format" kinda. Love the features and the darker delay repeats in it. Dont really play with it much nowadays. Iam happy and satisfied with dl4, magicstomp, ud stomp or empress superdelay. The analog delays(echoczar and the 2 moog) are really more of collecting for my kids diapers/milk powder money in future if pedals still relevant then.

it seems like quite a huge downsize shred....wondering if you'r missing any of your signature tones from your old pt pro rig.

Just read that post, and it seems to be pointing fingers at me for recently acquiring a Menatone Fish Factory. >_< Still, it sounds awesome to me, so I guess it was still money well spent, even though it is probably possible that inside the shiny white box is a TS7 circuit with a trimpot moved. =/

it seems like quite a huge downsize shred....wondering if you'r missing any of your signature tones from your old pt pro rig.

Not really.

The Octron was replaced by the MI Audio Pollyanna - still got my octave up and octave down.

I got space for 3 small gain pedals (as on the picture) or 1 big (e.g. Openhaus) + 1 small. The Pro could take up to 4.

I have a smaller tuner.

I have clever space management.

I can carry my pedalboard for longer distances because capacitance is lessened and my signal is strong. i.e. the board is lighter.

haha seems like everyone is downsizing. I've taken the plunge too after some backbreaking memories of carrying a pedaltrain 2, den upgrading to a misse mp1 with wheels before downsizing to a pedaltrain junior!

DSC00934.jpg

I realised most of my essential sounds are covered here, and my back is much lighter now. Leaving my moog murf and wah off the board and will take them along only if needed.

Back