Pedalboard Pictures!

bd2's a randol, ts9dx aparently modded by marc (as stated by the seller) and its a stock ad9. nothing fancy, i just love the warmth of the ad9

New toy on the board.

A custom design Retroman Beano rangemaster boost.

CUSTOM4.jpg

It sounds very very good. For those who know... when used with a tube amp, a rangemaster can lead to tone haven. Seriously. Brain May used one. Clapton (duh). That black sabbath guitarist... so on so forth.

I thought it wise to own at least one of history's more reknowned tone makers and so I bought 1, customised to my preferences.

And surprise! It works boosting dirt pedals... and even SOLID STATE amps. Very pleasant surprises indeedly. And I'm glad to say, it sounds excellent...

Retroman used a variable tone stack in lieu of the typical 2/3-way voicing switch that is found on the modern rangemasters(e.g. Analogman Beano) so its a little more tweakable/versatile and that tone stack is the KEY to getting the right frequencies boosted.

I tried it on a Marshall MG15 (piece of crap yes yes? Heh.) and using a little amp drive, slammed the Beano into it... it sounded better. So much more inspiring to play.

Anyway, enough "hype". More play.

we just restocked the ibanez lu20.

you may compare it side by side with the dt-10, tu-2 and d'addario tuner. everything is in stock.

thanks.

david
ebenex music

Retroman used a variable tone stack in lieu of the typical 2/3-way voicing switch that is found on the modern rangemasters(e.g. Analogman Beano) so its a little more tweakable/versatile and that tone stack is the KEY to getting the right frequencies boosted.

it does lots of everything :wink:

edder, eh.. well... erm...

I don't really think the Rangemaster JUST boosts treble. I even think the term "treble booster" is slightly misleading...

It doesn't just... like up the treble frequencies... I mean, heck, then why the hell spend the time + effort to hunt NOS OC44 transistors that are noisy and where the QC is way down low? Just use an EQ pedal and boost the treble frequencies then.

No man... the way this thing works... its different. The way it interacts with a tube amp (the original intent) is just... magical. To my ears of course. What do I care what others think?!!?!?!?!?! :twisted:

The best description I got about what a Rangemaster does was actually from some... techie's write up on it. The write up can be found via analogman's website. Its just a simple description of what the pedal does but this is what stood out to me... something along the lines of, the rangemaster takes your treble, adds gain to it, and for every octave up, the gain is roughly doubled.

The tone stack on the Beano is the key to versatiltity though. Treble high to woofy, growling lows. Useful sweep. And for some reason, the thing cleans up VERY well... it can be used to easily tame your other dirt pedals when stacked... just turn your vol knob down a little. Also, if used with treble boost settings, turning down your vol knob turns your tone into some spanky thing. Cool stuff.

Back