Manchester United 2008-2009 Season Thread

ya la.. all blame dudelove!:twisted: lol
the result was shit, but well, 4-1, four points ahead, 1 game in hand ^^

It's good for the blood to boil a bit once in a while. I would be suprised if fans just took this laying down. Speaking of fans - one of my European friends says he finds it strange that we call oursleves fans of football teams when we are not actually at the stadiums week in and week out to see the matches live. Now - if only I had a few million dollars to spare ;) We would be classified as spectators and not fans by him.

tell ur friend he's weird lah, because spectators 'watch'. they get to be at the home ground! to you know, 'spectate' and actually watch the game. ahhaha. we don't have the means to actually be there, so we're fans by showing our support through other means!

i was at a pub catching saturday's game. the ang moh dudes next to me were hurling vulgarities against united like nobody's business. haha. goshhh. but then i was too busy feeling upset about the way the game was going to actually think 'yes taunting is healthy!'

Wait till you check out the fans in Europe.Every derby seems like war and they even taunt each other outside the stadium.SG fans are still childish?

well too bad this isnt europe...deal with it...sg fans will forever be childish despite their age

Last edited:
isn"t AIG man u's sponsor?

sial lah they all- in this time of economic crisis summo

Outraged Obama vows to block AIG bonuses

http://sg.rd.yahoo.com/partners/afp/SIG=10n1rur92/*http://www.afp.com/
AFP - Tuesday, March 17 WASHINGTON (AFP) - - President Barack Obama Monday ripped into bailed-out company AIG, vowing to block multi-million-dollar bonus payouts by the giant insurer as public anger builds against Wall Street excess.

Conscious of the potential backlash as his administration readies new support for the financial industry, Obama said the planned bonuses for executives and traders at American International Group were an "outrage."
"This is a corporation that finds itself in financial distress due to recklessness and greed," he said, in a rare flash of public anger, at a White House event with owners of small businesses.
"Under these circumstances, it's hard to understand how derivative traders at AIG warranted any bonuses, much less 165 million dollars in extra pay," Obama said, after details of the payouts emerged over the weekend.

"How do they justify this outrage to the taxpayers who are keeping the company afloat?" he said, adding half in jest that "I'm choked up with anger here" as his voice caught at one point.
On Sunday, administration officials said there was little that Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner could do legally to stop the bonuses, because they were promised under AIG employment contracts before the insurer was bailed out.
But Obama, noting the substantial government support extended to AIG, said: "I've asked Secretary Geithner to use that leverage and pursue every single legal avenue to block these bonuses and make the American taxpayers whole."
Massive losses at a London trading division have forced the US government to pump some 150 billion dollars into the crippled AIG. On March 2, it unveiled another emergency injection of 30 billion dollars.
According to widespread reports, the bonuses are largely going to traders at the very London-based financial products unit that is blamed for AIG's spectacular fall from grace.
AIG was deemed by the US government to be too big to fail, given the intricate web of ties it built with other financial institutions after underwriting their riskier investments in the tanking property market.
Obama said that underlined the need for Congress to pass new financial regulation "so we don't find ourselves in this position again."
He called for "some form of resolution mechanism in dealing with troubled financial institutions, so that we've got greater authority to protect American taxpayers and our financial system in cases such as this."
The president, while noting that current AIG boss Edward Liddy only took over last year after the employment contracts were drawn up, said the bonus controversy "isn't just a matter of dollars and cents."
"It's about our fundamental values," he said to applause from the small-business owners, whom Obama lauded for struggling to keep their companies afloat "without the benefit of government bailouts" or hefty bonuses.
"And all they ask is that everyone, from Main Street to Wall Street to Washington, play by the same rules. That is an ethic we have to demand."
In a letter to Geithner Saturday, Liddy said the bonuses could not be canceled due to the threat of lawsuits for breach of employment contracts, and that AIG risked an exodus of senior employees if it does not pay them out.
But the row will do nothing to improve the political environment for government support for Wall Street firms.
The US government has already extended 700 billion dollars in bailout money, and more is possible as the Obama administration readies a new program of support to help banks clean out their toxic assets.
Richard Shelby, the senior Republican on the Senate's powerful banking committee, said he hoped that Congress would block further aid to AIG.
"A lot of these people should be fired, not awarded a bonus. This is horrible. It's outrageous," he said on ABC television.

since the financial crisis began i've been worried about united's sponsorship. seems like aig is in bigger trouble than ever...haha united should go get a beer sponsor lah, sure wont go out of business one. :p

food biz will also not suffer - maybe McDonalds ... ? Then can change name to Mc Chester United?

or the ultimate food sponsor - TONG SENG CHICKEN RICE ....

AIG will pull out after next season or maybe earlier as they no longer have the ability to sponser Man United anymore. They have paid £56.5 million to sponser United for 4 years. Huge amount.

AIG will pull out after next season or maybe earlier as they no longer have the ability to sponser Man United anymore. They have paid £56.5 million to sponser United for 4 years. Huge amount.

yeah and they can pay off USD165m for bonuses..

i hope we get a new sponsor.

when AIG first sponsored man utd, all my friends (non-man utd supporters) called man utd "Am I Gay". haha vodafone was much cooler

Hopefully we can amend the lost we had at OT the other day.....I have a feeling we are going to the final of Champions League. We shall prevail

to be fair, porto isn't much of a threat, but that's no reason to get complacent.

but, im actually excited when i heard it was liverpool and chelsea, again. ahaha..

Last edited:
Pool against Chelsea, Utd against Porto and Barca against Bayern.
Who shall prevail?

Last time Porto won against United was when Mourinho was in charge of them. Let's hope they'll overcome this.

even as a man utd fan, i must say that the level of football they are playing now is utterly disappointing. their passes are half-hearted and their always playing the ball into crowded areas and making things difficult for themselves. even if they're a man down, they are capable of much better football.

fullham on the other hand is playing simple yet beautiful football. they pass and move into space and close us down really well.

but... man utd will prevail. just you watch

Back