Cable

cant help but to agree with shredcow. no one really would criticize your when your playing live just because of a little tone loss in your cables, of course reliability is another issue.

i've read all the pages of this topic... i'm pretty new to this forum but u'll wanna hear what i have to say.

i do agree with the part where when only u play in a studio ala bedroom u''ll hear the difference.

live, it's hard to distinguish between fairly good cables (and i'm referring to all cables mentioned above).

when it comes to reliability... i realised planet waves cables can stand the test of time. i'm not a person who buys high end cables and the most high end cables i bought are planetwaves (not the classic model, but a better quality ones, below the circuit breaker ones)

i bought one .....6 years ago. that time, the heads were colour coded. red head into amp purple head to guitar. guess what.... till today, that cable has no problems whatsoever.

my point? i'm not saying screw the hype of these other 'high end' cables. im' saying dont' embrace it because it has more $$$ attached to it. test it and see whether it's worth paying such money. if it is, then u've made one nifty purchase(s)

PS: i've bought like 12 cables of PW after that. no problems.
chern's cables look tempting tho. yeah...the $$$ and pictures attached to those cables makes u wanna try some :) did i just negate everything i just said? oh well :)

Aiyah... cables are an item that really adheres to the term "diminishing returns".

Beyond a certain price point, the differences start to minimise and then... you ask yourself, "is it worth it?"

And I think that price point is once you hit pass the mid-range cables. And no, planet waves isn't mid range, its actually in the low range, just to get an idea of what "mid range" is.

Play live, the tone, the audience doesn't care about tone. If they think you're noisy then maybe you have really horrid tone (sound) lah. Heh.

That said, the player is the one who notices. The musicians in the audience are the ones that notice. And me, being the player, I bother.

Most of us, myself included (hopefully heh) , will be able to play just as well with Boss pedals. Or Danos. Or Johnson. Or ah sengs. (bwahaha Edder)

And back to cables... I'll always remember a/b-ing 10 feet of planet waves with my 12 feet of Lava ELC cables on the el cheapo, crapo, and often dissed Marshall MG15cd. The differences were shocking to say the least.

good cables are not about how much it cost...

I beg to differ Sub because cables are not like... guitars. Guitars with their woods, ugh, cheap can also sound magical.

But you buy a cheap cable, no say, a free cable, the one you get from Swee lee when you buy an epihone guitar, play with it along, yeah, its fine and all that... but chances are - it will fail you more likely than a more expensive one.

Reliability aside, there's the matter of sound.

And the cheaper cables can REALLY suck the life out of your tone. Okay, maybe some people like that.

...especially the cable thats goes to your pedals ...if its sucky you loose the sparkle ... 8) If you can't hear the differance ... well too bad !
If your are a straight to amp kinda guy ...please pay close attention to cable type ...the differance is like day and night. I have seen people ending their *tone quest* with the *correct cable*.
i got a few diff popular brand at home and they stay at home !

Imho ...do check out http://www.lavacable.com
you are given a spectrum of *honest* choices !!

I believe what you hear counts as much as what the audience does :)

Tone aside, one thing I don't like about the PW cables is that once they're broken, they're broken. Even if it's just a simple re-soldering job, there's no simple option for you to be able to do so without damaging the plug. Plus, good luck to you if you're going to approach them to honour the warranty on their cable... if there's one in the first place.

i do agree PW is not mid range.... heck canare are considered mid range and so are GeorgeLs, based on one of the link u blokes posted

i do agree that once planet waves are broekn they are gone...

i don't agree that it's hard to get them to honour their warranty. just get ur reciept, and post it to them...the postage will cost u a bomb though..
i was in the states beginning of this year. brought 5 cables there... and guess what, with the reciept, they're willing to do a 1 to 1 trade!

oh another thing, my PW plug hasn't broken yet... 6 years already....
though i've been reading a lot of posts in this forum and other forums that plus are breaking and cables are 'snapping'

anwyays.... cherns... :) tempting ......no no not u ...cables.. :)

What I meant was getting the local distributor of PW products to honour the warranty for the cables. I'm not sure if it works the same way it does in the US if you buy it here. But that's something else altogether :)

Anyways, I await your email/pm! :lol:

One plus point for getting from cherns is you can customise the length of your cables. It especially satisfying for people like me who hates excess/dangling cable.

Anyway gotta love the speaker plugs I tell you guys. Big and robust.

May have ordered an instrument cable but I'm pretty satisfied with the PW cables. :) Those circuit breakers comes in really really handy.

US stuff - they exchange/return goods easily... their policies there allow for it, and the people wholly embrace it.

down here.

Hahahahahahahhaha.

speaking of PW cables, mine just crapped out on me. my amp starting making a buzzing noise, which only went away when i touched one of my pedals (so its prob the grounding). and i changed to my older PW circuit breakers which totally solved it, although they were a little cranky too. looking to upgrade cables real soon...

oh u mean send the PW cables to the local shops to do it? heh.... i've treid.... this is the reply

"oh, we'll help you post it to the US, unfortunately we've gotta charge you... yes yes, we dont' do the warranty exchange as it is given by PW and not us..."

but yeah... none of my cables KOed... :)

Ah !!! *suckasucks* get the cable Jonh Mayer use !!
Its so good ...you can play out of tune !! :lol:

JMEALYRICHG.jpg

i would too ...coz the fella who got me into noise ...does it big time

10128473-10128475-large.jpg

Cables

heh, i just got a custom cable consisting of G&H plugs with Canare cables from Cherns. Excellent stuff, im a bassist and i can say that in contrast to my PWs(circuit breakers) cables the RDM cables really retains some of my lows. Is it just me or PW cables seem to have much clearer highs and the lows seems to be "missing" a little.
Only sad thing is that since i have been using PWs for about a year this have made my Input jack to be very loose thus the RDM cable i have literally drops out from just the mere weight of the plug and cable along with gravity pulling on it. (im using a yamaha bb414 bass, the jack is located on the side)... yeah thats my view on RDM cables and PWs :D

i just replaced my el cheapo speaker cables with the rdm one.

theres a obvious increase and depth and range, kinda less one dimensional. no kid!!!!!!! :lol:

Back