Selecting a Electric Guitar for a newbie

over the net, directly thru the man himself. But the waiting time for it gonna be long. At least 2-4mths or even longer. Want to know more about them, just go to any search engine and type in bill lawrence. The info is all out there.......

Bill Lawrence is up & running!

Just email... and well, I got a reply & package arrived about 3 weeks later.

BUT!

There was an extra pup in the package, so I emailed Becky abt it... no reply.

Toss a coin ya?

Shredcow, you are one lucky guy.

First, a free MIJ!!!! DS1.. then a free pickup!!! ...

Dude.. share me some of ur luck!

I also got a free DD-3, amongst other things.... :)

The Bill Lawrence pup is not free. I'm holding onto it. If Becky doesn't reply, I'll pop another email, then... i dunno... they run an honest business you know what I mean?

Yeah... So Daniel... Got any stuff to give away for free??

jkjkjkjk

Actually, i think the epiphone Les Pauls and squier strats are rather quality guitars for beginners.

Seriously. I started out last year with a squier strat(didnt really touch it then cuz i was having a major exam... only really "practised this year". Its a really quality guitar. In fact, i prefer using it instead of my fender most of the time.

Epiphone Les Pauls are really good as well. If you dont mind the weight.. Its a great guitar that comes with great looks and sound =)

As for pickups, don't change yet until after you have played with the guitar for quite awhile. I only changed my squier's pickups last month! And it was only one pickup that i changed! The middle one.

Hope i've been of some help(im usually a lousy chiong-poster)

well, instead of the marshall 15w (208 from marshall law)

might i recommend the 230 dollar 30w peavey (i think) from sweelee

it has a better distort imho (with a crunch switch) and enough wattage for jamming w/ drums.

also, try guitar connection, kelvin can pull out guitars from his storeroom arnd ur budget... like 3-4 for u to try to get a feel.

i thinks that

shredcow has this

"u carry ur amp to go jamming" reply after every of my amp ideas

LOL :D

well if ur looking 4 value use a bolt on.if u want easier access to upper frets use bolt on or set in. and amp tone is all impt to me. go all the way and get a tube amp. i wld, if i were u. but tube amps are quite ex, starting frm 700+ so if it doesn't fit ur budget then jus get a small practice amp. bigger amps that are not tube or tube sim amps are not worth, dun get them. jus my 2 cents worth.

Santa said:
i thinks that

shredcow has this

So do you?

Your amp ideas have been one where being able to jam with a drum set is a prerequist...

Santa said:
i thinks that

shredcow has this

yeah i wanna know too... Do you carry your amp to go jamming?

Hmm.

I considered getting one of those a loong time back when they first came out. I saw it in this fernandes catalogue when I was in Sec 2.

Anyways, a squier telecaster would be my vote because not many guitars teach your how to hone your chops like how a telecaster does. My take is that once you can play some good stuff on a telecaster you can play splendidly on pretty much any other guitar.

And just to throw another spanner into the works, I'd suggest the Vox pathfinder 15R for a solid rock / blues tone. Just please change the 2-pin plug to a 3-pin to avoid the nasty buzzing sound which plagues any single-coil guitar.

So (to threadstarter) apart from improving your skills with this basic amp+guitar combo, I'd suggest you save up along the way and prepare to buy any pedals or accessories which you might desire.

Take a look around on the forums, ask sensible questions and I'm sure you will go a long way.

HELLO!!! I am new here. I waslooking ard for a good newbie guitar too. SHd i learn guitar on an acoustic or electric?

I saw the Epi. LP special 2 at Luthermusic for only 300 ard there. Is it a good guitar. At sweelee, the squier is out of stock. Which shd i buy? Or do u have any othere to recommend me?

Shd i buy a marshal 15w amp frm Luthermusic or are there better/more value for money 15w/20w amps?

my friends do.

anyway i just give that as a prerequisite as being the poor student i am, i cant afford to have two amps

or to pay money on jamming studios

anyway. its a SUGGESTION.

not an order.

Xypher said:
HELLO!!! I am new here. I waslooking ard for a good newbie guitar too. SHd i learn guitar on an acoustic or electric?

I saw the Epi. LP special 2 at Luthermusic for only 300 ard there. Is it a good guitar. At sweelee, the squier is out of stock. Which shd i buy? Or do u have any othere to recommend me?

Shd i buy a marshal 15w amp frm Luthermusic or are there better/more value for money 15w/20w amps?

its really down to you bro, they both have different tones, the squiers are fender based and sound twangy and nice for songs that dont go all crazy with ultra high gain (for the stock pups at least) , the lespaul is a rock guitar, its fitted with humbuckers that have a thicker more full sound.

When learning i'd say go for acoustic, it trains your fingers more making it easier to play electric in the future, also acoustic familiarizes you with chord patterns and progressions and such which could be a plus.

but in the end, its all down to you my bro to decide. all us softies can only help give our opinions after all. 8)

markedymark said:
When learning i'd say go for acoustic, it trains your fingers more making it easier to play electric in the future, also acoustic familiarizes you with chord patterns and progressions and such which could be a plus.

I'd say playing styles of an electric and an acoustic are vastly different. An acoustic does train your fingers to be stronger but that's it. What I'm trying to say is if you want to play electic than practise on an electric and the same goes for acoustic.

To threadstarter: This is what I suggest to anyone who wants to start any type of new hobby. If you are sure that you will be staying in it for a long time, then get good stuff. If not just don't bother, the cheap equipment will suffice.

Anyway, I recommend a yamaha strat in SSH configuration for tonal variation and possibly a smarvo amp which I think is awesome value for money and tone. Mikemann from this forum is the local dealer. There are also some shops in peninsula plaza which keeps them in stock. The 40 watt version is only around $180 or so. I've been using it for quite some time and don't care to upgrade soon =p

Back