Selecting a Electric Guitar for a newbie

hackernox

Hi guys

Can anyone share what is good for a newbie. What to look our for?
Also please recommend on the Amps as well.

We don’t know:
· What you have in mind- which guitar shape do you fancy? How many pickups you like? How many frets? Etc…
· What kinda music do you listen to? So that we can match your preference…
· What’s your budget? most important of course…

Geez... this is tough.
:(
I am a complete newbie, so when I went into a shop they ask me what I want. I said I am a newbie, then they said I must know what I want so they can recommend. But then I am a newbie how do I know what is available.

So I come here, then you ask me what I want........ :cry:

Geez this is real tough.

Subversion listed down some questions which are the beginning and most basic questions for a newbie looking to buy a guitar. It those question cant be answered, iam afraid that it be difficult to help you. You need to have some basic ideas of :

-Most important, how much $ are you willing to pay

-what sort of guitar you like to get, for what style of playing(metal, punk, country, pop, hardrock etc),

-any guitarist/band that you like or listen to(easier to judge what is suitable for you)

-electric guitar, acoustic guitar, classical guitar or a bass

If the above few question still make you blur, hmmmm i also cant help much. Imagine if i have $100k in my pocket and i go to a car showroom and tell the salesman/women, I want to buy a car, but i know nothing bout cars, can recommend me?? Wont they think that i must be 1 screw loose. For the things you like, you got to find out more about it yourself first, if not, it's really difficult to help. Hope you understand.

Cheers

You must know what guitar you want, what are your influences and your budget. As for a newbie, it is not wise to spent more than 600 on your guitar. firstly, do you have a accoustic? If you don't, get one 1st as it will easier to bring it around for lessons and you spent less. Mostly everyone started guitar will get an folk/classical guitar and then move on to electric. You can one congress folk guitar at less than $100. Hope my advice helps.

:) As my subject said, I am looking for a Electric Guitar.

Yes, you guys are right. I have to know what I want. That is why I am here to ask what should I look for.

I suppose you guys started with some beginner set right? maybe you can share what did you started with and how much was spended.

I think there will be more newbie like me asking the same old stupid newbie question. So I hope this posting can help me and future newbie :) to kick off with a basic stuff. :)

You must tell us your listening band. In order to let have a clearer idea, i list out the different style with different guitars. These are only my opinion.
Blues: Tele, Strato or les paul
Rock: Tele, strato or les paul
Hard Rock: Most suitable are les paul
Metal: ibanez, ESP, Jackson and les paul
Punk: Anything guitar that have 2 humbuckers
Jazz: Les paul

And to play you need a amp to go with a electric.

I don't know much about amp. so can't help you :D
And i plan out a budget for you.

I take it that you are a newbie, so your budget is limited. Let say your budget is $800 and you play hard rock.

So,
Marshall MG 15 amp- $208-from luthermusic
Samick Les paul Copy- Around $300-from davis guitar
Monster Cable(Long lasting cable)- prices varies with length $20plus for 20 feet, i think so. -Sinamex
D Andrea strap- $6- from luthermusic
Picks- $0.50 from any guitar shops.
Total=$534.50 estimated value.

You still got 265.50 left and you can buy pedals with it.

Don't use my budget for your own use as this is to give you an idea what you need and how much cash you need.

Shop around and tell them what you listen to and what you play. They should be able to help you.

big thanks to marshall_law, This is really a great help.

I see Les paul is everywhere. So I guess it is very safe to get one. :D

So you’ve finally helped us to help you- you don’t mind a starter kit… I hope brother Marshall Law’s proposal would be of help to you.

We’re not trying to make you feel small because there’d be nuts who would recommend a $4K Les Paul with a $2K Marshall amp which is utter rubbish for a starter. You need something practical, something to help you get acquainted with the electric without too much hassle, also keeping in mind its value should you choose to upgrade subsequently.

If you don’t prefer to buy a mix-and-match combination, Squier, Ibanez & Yamaha have a starter pack for both guitar & bass. In a single receipt, you’ll be getting an electric guitar & an amp- the 2 basic ingredients to start playing. Before you part with cash, try them out in the store, or ask an acquaintance to audition on your behalf. Preferably, get someone who has reputable knowledge on the goods before any commitment. Remember to get back to this thread for opinions- we’ll be glad to help.

eh....... But I got a new problem 8O ..... :lol:

I managed to find info of Les Paul and Strato. But what is a Tele? :?

hackernox said:
Hi guys

Can anyone share what is good for a newbie. What to look our for?
Also please recommend on the Amps as well.

For a newbie, I would recommend Stratocaster copies as they are more versatile with different music types. They are also less expensive and very reliable and sturdy instruments. There are plenty of Strats around with prices starting from below $200.

I would only recommend the Les Paul copies once you are a more seasoned player and have better guitar playing skills. Learning to adjust tone and volume with the humbuckers pickups can be bit of a challenge for a newbie. At least the Strats have an easier pickup configuration for beginners.

For amps, most 15W amps are fine for home practice. Popular barnds are Peavy, Ibanez, Lany, and a host of many others. So many to choose from. They generally cost less than $200 for a 15W amp.

So, a budget of around $400 should get you off to a great start with an electric guitar and amp set up. Save the big bucks for better items after you are sure that guitar playing is for you and you wantto progress further.

Happy strumming and picking!

8)

If you are a newbie and dont even know what type of music you play, why are you laready thinking of getting an electric guitar? Or you want o start off straight with an electric. If this is so, get strat copies from brands, such as SAMICK, IBANEZ ( the GIO/GRX series ), or yamaha (but i dont quite like yamaha)

hi,

in response to your question, i would think that it will be a mistake to buy a les paul because you think that it is the most versatile. in terms of versatility its way behind strat or even a telecaster IMO.

morever, whats most important to you at the beginning will be the playability - ie how comfortable the guitar plays. that being said, the les paul is an uncomfortable guitar to play. its heavy, unbalanced and feels like a tree trunk. Looks nice, plays..not so nice.

Players generally find the strat shape comfortable to play, so try the fender strats and strat copies by yamaha and the like. Yamaha makes very good value for money guitars so dont let the personal preferences of other players cloud your judgement. Ibanez also has good starter guitars if your more rock/metal oriented, the RG series is very playable as well.

the BEST advice anyone can give you is GO TRY THE GUITARS yourself and see what kind you like best or find the most comfortable to play with.

As for the amp, a nice 15w practise amp with inbuilt distortion is good enough. If you have the dough invest in a POD or some other amp modelling device like the VAMP. they're good for bedroom practise. When you start your tone search you can start reading up on tube amps and the like, but at the start, a 15w is all you need for a long enough time.

guys really thanks for your help. Your comment and suggestions really give me a good basic understanding of electric guitar.

But as I read more I got more to ask :lol: so hope you guys don't mind bear with me a little more. anyway, I suppose there will be newbie like me in future so why not I ask a little more to reduce your future load :lol:

I read in some posting mentioning SSH and SSS. What are they? does the H stand for humbucker? What is their function (I suppose it is some kind of microphone). What is good for a newbie ....well with a budget?

SSH -2 single coil pickup and a humbucker

SSS -3 single coil (a classic example is the fender stratocastor)

HH- Double humbucker( ala les paul)

Ususlly the first letter means the neck pickup(Closest to guitar neck), 2nd letter is the middle pickup while the 3 letter is the bridge pickup. All 3 will have different characteristic due to the placement of it in relative to the string tension of the guitar.

Tone characteristic, single coil PU, when compared to Humbucker, tend to be thinner and more "glassy"(difficult to put in words, you will need to hear it). Classic example of single coil clean tone wud be stuff from SRV to Eric clapton to eric johnson and to some of red hot chilli pepper guitar tone.

Humbucker- Tend to be fatter and muscular in tone. Example, slash, Joe satriani etc.

Function of the pickup?

Basically and in the easy way to put it, its a piece of magnet wilh copper wire coil round and round it. When put in a guitar, it will pick up the string vibration, convert into the guitar sound that we hear thru amplifier.

For a newbie, imho, it dont matter so much as the ear is still untrained to differenciate between treble response, mid level, output "hotness", clean response, overdrive/distortion. Put it simply, to know difference in tone. Stock PU that comes with the electric guitar will do for the time being. Those after market PU are only suitable when you know what specific tone or characteristic of guitar tone you want. If not, it wont make a difference.

For a first electric guitar, my view is that, learn the basic well, etc chords changing, power chord, barre chord, sense of rhythm, melody. The pursue of the "best of gear" is a joke when the skill is zero.

Budget for PU, depend on how much you can spend. From 2nd hand pick up to brand new ones can ranged from $80-$400++. Yes, there are some PU that can get you a brand new electric guitars. So if you are not sure on the tone you are after, stick to the stock PU and, practice, practice and more practice :D

Yes, there are some PU that can get you a brand new electric guitars.

Example like EMG and seymour duncan.

My response to earlier post are, get what you like. Go shop around and don't stuck in one shop. Les paul and tele, strat are totally different guitars. We can't decide for you but suggest. So try out every guitar you see and there will be one waiting on the shelf for you to bring home. :D

emg or SD is like macdonald or kfc. What i had in mind was kinman and some of those boutique PU maker. But of course, nothing beat a bill lawrence when comes to quality and cost :D

Back