RS Guitarworks Pots & Caps

Whitestrat

These components should be classified as hazardous materials or come with a warning.

I had my 2 pauls' guts replaced. This is THE one modification I felt 100% justified in spending the money to do so. I cannot believe I held out for so long to do this, and I'm glad I didn't wait any longer.

The Standard with the burstbucker pros really opened up like a new book. The guitar now has this top end response which I was aiming for from the start. EVEN WITH THE TONE KNOB ON "0"!!!!
wow.gif
The guitar tone will get a bit less trebly, bit it would never lose definition, regardless of whatever pickup I'm using. Now it's quite evident what the pickups can or cannot do. The general characteristic is there, but at least I know now that the fault (if any) is no longer contained within crappy electronics. (though I will eventually have to change my stock switch when it fails)

Then came my Slash with the SH55s. This one was odd. It didn't open up as much as I thought it might be, and the guitar still sounded too warm and not defined enough. But the overall tone did improve, and I was able to get a lot of funky tones with the new unrestrained controls. (more on that later). I'm now quite sure the SDs are not what I want... I'm thinking of throwing some Sheptones or Skatterbranes in there. Haven't decided yet. One thing though. The woman tone on these SH55s was so nice, that it made a friend of mine ask me to try to see if his stock R9 could do the same thing. It could not.
laugh2.gif

The thing about these pots are that they expose every nuance of your current pickups; flaws and attributes!. If they were not to your liking, then they would show you more clearly WHY you didn't like them, and what you would need to sort out about them. If you liked them, then they'd amplify what you'd like. You learn a lot about your guitar's current state with these pots.

The controls... Oh man... THIS is why I said they should have come with a warning. Now I really cant stop fiddling with the knobs. I've discovered so many ways to use the controls now, that this has made me specify to the luthier who's building my custom build to use ONLY RS kits for the build.

The volume knobs, indeed retained treble when you rolled down the knob. (no need for any more treble bleed kits!!!) They cleaned up the signal very very well preserving the actual amplitude of the volume you're producing up to a point, then it really fades off to nothing, rather than just drop suddenly. It's almost like: 10 to 6 gives you basic gain variance, and 5 to 0 gives you gain + volume variance. But that's not entirely accurate either. The volume changes from 10 to 8 are also there, but a bit more subtle, allowing you to just roll down a slight tad to get a nice rhythm crunch on one pickup, and switch to full blast on the next to solo, all without losing tone and definition. Volume swells are now a thing of controllable beauty!

The tone knobs are something I'm still getting used to. Not because they're bad, but because they're subtle. This, I attribute (I think) to the RS caps. No mud. none at all. Just rolled off treble. Woman tones are now extremely agressive. Almost fuzz-like when you're using the right stomp box (for me it was a crunchbox that sounded the best with this).

No other brand of pots behaves like this. Not CTS, not DiMarzio, not ErnieBall, not Alpha. the RS Superpot is really fantastic!

All in all, I used to say there was no such thing as a miracle pill for tone on guitars. Now, I'm happy to eat my words. It's not easy to produce a sound clip that shows how good these controls are. You really have to try them for yourselves.

BTW, for those who are about to ask, I ordered the modern kit. The clarity is astonishing.
thumb.gif

All, and I mean ALL my guitars are going to have this mod... ALL.:twisted:

P.S. One last note: We live halfway around the world from the USA. (literally) I ordered my parts on a Friday, and I got them on my table the following Wed!!! Billy also answered all my questions promptly, and clearly, both by email, and on this forum. Paula was a bit too efficient, and sent out the order before I had a chance to even add to it. THIS is what I'd call FANTASTIC SERVICE!!!!

www.rsguitarworks.net

Last edited:
They are NOT hazardous and they SHOULD be in every single guitar!

I'm glad that you actually dedicate your time to writing this whole thread and review of the RS superpots. They really deserve more recognition here. I have not been able to put everything in words like this.

I have to agree about the woman tone thing though. Only recently then I've actually tried it. You're right, they are very aggressive, which is something that does not seem possible before i swapped for the RS Superpots.

Another big thumbs up from me too!

Spend your money on them, they might seem expensive compared to other pots and caps, but when you hear and feel the difference, its really worth it.

All, and I mean ALL my guitars are going to have this mod... ALL.

All the best man, I don't know how much thats gonna cost you! :mrgreen:

Have you tried RS/Fralin Paf or big block pick ups?

Thinking of changing the burstbuckers in my R7 to something with a tighter low end.

Am thinking of ordering the pots and caps and possibily pick ups from RS.

Last edited:
Have you tried RS/Fralin Paf or big block pick ups?

Thinking of changing the burstbuckers in my R7 to something with a tighter low end.

Not tried Fralin PAFs, but I didn't like the fralin single coils. For the price of those Fralins, I'd look at the Sheptone pickups if I were you...

I like my Skatterbrane option... Rod Kinkade is working out something for me to deliver the tone I want... It may even come with real PAF stickers!!!! Hahahaha!!!

So far, my PAF hunt has come down to 2 choices. Skatterbrane, or Sheptones. Well, i've got 2 Les Pauls. who says I can't do both?:mrgreen:

All the best man, I don't know how much thats gonna cost you! :mrgreen:

It's just the pots and caps. Not so bad lah. I have to do guitar by guitar... slowly.

I'm tempted by their RS Bridge assemblies too. THAT is expensive!

Last edited:
Glad you like them. :)

I'm going to throw one RS superpot to Dan @ Oni Guitars just for him to check it out.

I honestly think that RS makes the best pot out there.

Wow wow great review by Whitestrat. Am deeply considering this mod for my (very very low end) les paul. Don't think my Ibanez is compatible as it says MII guitars wouldn't fit in unless I expand the hole.

Whitestrat, so you ordered this one?: http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=31_59&products_id=296 So your tone knob is a CTS, no?

How do I know if I have metric knobs and pots in my guitar? And how do I know if I should order long or short shaft ones?

I doubt so it's priced at USD80+ so I expect the total cost should be around SGD160.

But I wouldn't deny that all the mods I plan to do will add up to 3 times the price of my guitar. Hehe. It's my favourite guitar, so yeah. First guitar = sentimental lah. Haha.

Whitestrat, so you ordered this one?: http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=31_59&products_id=296 So your tone knob is a CTS, no?

No, i ordered this: http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=47_62&products_id=178

It's pre-wired for me already... Neatly.:mrgreen:

But yes, the tone pots are CTS, but these CTS pots are made specifically for RS. They are NOT your off-the-shelf CTS pots. They are: "Premium CTS 500k audio-taper potentiometer, LONG shaft. While not metered, these pots come with extremely tight tolerances (+/- 10%). These pots feature brass shafts and mil-spec construction."

Military spec construction means a more sturdy build, and probably made at a higher cost than your usual ones. They are brass shaft.

For you, I would suggest you email them and tell them EXACTLY what you have (guitar) and what you aim to achieve with your RS parts, and what sort of music you usually play. They will suggest accordingly, and also advise you on what you may or may not need to do.

Most likely, yours will need long shaft, as short shafts are meant for historics and vintage LPs.

but what if my les paul its a not well known brand... will they know the meaasurements too? i have a rallly les paul.. and this thread made me wanna order it now.. lol

but what if my les paul its a not well known brand... will they know the meaasurements too? i have a rallly les paul.. and this thread made me wanna order it now.. lol

you have to know what you expect what to get, what the pots and caps do, rather then just follow the crowd.

the question is, do you know what they do?

If you really want them, then what's stopping you from stripping your Rally LP to measure the dimensions?

Honestly, while some people say that this mod is something everyone should do BEFORE considering changing pups, I have to say that they are mutually exclusive. You MUST know what tone you're after. Changing pups is a way of gambling. You may get it, you may not. You CAN get your tone if you know exactly what you're after, without changing the pots.

But if you do this mod, you will find out what exactly about your current pickups you don't like. Because everything is unlocked.

Think of tits in a bra.:mrgreen: (hypothetically speaking) They look great right? Some say they like big, some say they like small. But how would you know if those tits you have claim on are what you REALLY like before unhooking the bra and checking them out without interference from an external dampener before you decide? Big tits ain't everything ppl claim, you know?

That's what the RS pots do.;)

I discovered RS pots and caps more than 2 years ago. Since then they are a MUST HAVE for every guitars I owned. Currently, my LP and strat are fitted with RS vintage kit, and my H-H tele has the RS modern kit.

Whitestrat: Yeaps I agree to what you said, seeing the potential difference it can make. It's like having a cupboard with ten equal size doors to open then having 3 small then one big door.

I shall email Billy when I'm ready (financially). Haha.

you agree with the nipple hypothesis or the...? lol
if i go bra less?(the in thing at the moment :p), just get indv pots & caps
anybody ordering? can let me know? maybe can share share.. split shipping cost

:mrgreen:

I am thinking of getting the metalbrane for my les paul. heres a clip.
What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7J3AEMTnmM

Having heard most of Rod's available clips, I find any of his pups would be great choices. It depends on what you're after. I personally would choose the Ben-Wabranes if I was after a hotter bridge tone. I would still want the neck to be as low output and as clear though. The Metalbrane neck MIGHt not be to my liking because it's a bit hotter. But that's a personal preference. You might like it!

But if you're looking at Branes, check out the Sheptone AB set as well. Then decide. Either would be a great choice, but you might find one nicer to you?

Last edited:
Currently, my LP and strat are fitted with RS vintage kit, and my H-H tele has the RS modern kit.

Have you tried the modern kit on the strat? how's the vintage Jensen cap for the strat? I'm planning to upgrade my strats (both of them) but I'm not sure if I want vintage or modern. Unless I adopt the same approaches with my LP, where Billy advised: "You can get the vintage tone with the modern wiring, but not vice-versa."

Hmm... Decisions, decisions.

Latest posts

Back