RS Guitarworks Pots & Caps

Have you tried the modern kit on the strat? how's the vintage Jensen cap for the strat? I'm planning to upgrade my strats (both of them) but I'm not sure if I want vintage or modern. Unless I adopt the same approaches with my LP, where Billy advised: "You can get the vintage tone with the modern wiring, but not vice-versa."

Hmm... Decisions, decisions.

IMO, for the RS vintage kit, the difference in sound after installing is more apparent in my LP than in my strat. But then again, the previous pots in my LP were already very old and badly oxidised. Anyway, with the RS kit, 50's wiring, Bareknuckle The Mule and other upgrades, my LP sounds as good as it can get. :mrgreen:

As for the Jensen cap in my strat, I would say it gives a little woodier edge (vintage vibe?) to the sound, though rather subtle. But it's the RS volume pot that makes the sound more open and the tapering much smoother. I'm using the Bareknuckle Apache set, so this strat would still sound vintage regardless.

I've not tried the modern kit on a strat. For my H-H tele (koa body/rosewood neck), I'm using the modern kit meant for PRS. The sound is clearer and more open as a result. Pickups used are Bareknuckle Rebel Yell, which has a more contemporary voice. With the RS volume pot, I need not use a treble bleed like before.

I agree with you RS pots and caps bring out the best in your pickups. In my case, Bareknuckles are my favourite pickups and IMO, the RS kit makes them sound better. Good luck in your decision making. Either way, it will turn out alright.

;)

for the loose electronics caps & pots, which ones you guys recommend?

hydesg, got another softie ask me if you want to ship in rs together gether? :)

that is fast.. hehe.. ok hydesg, you guys carry on first

been reading up, got many different types of pots & caps to list..

i am still dazed & confused as which pot value & different caps meant for what,

basically i need to get a set for tele or esquire(1vol 1tone & a couple of capacitors),

another for 335 or les paul type(2vol 2tones & 1 capacitor), so which comp should i get?

the most 'mind boggling' for me are the capacitors used, can anyone here try simplify them?

thanking you in advance! :mrgreen:

eieio: Haha same here. I'm still trying to find out which ones are compatible with my guitar then consider which models to get. So many! Some more I scared if I buy the pre-wired kits, the guitar tech will go "Alamak, pre-wired already, now cannot fit, if single parts can fit". Haha. I guess I need to measure everything first and email them.

Maybe if there's another consolidation of orders, I'll join in =))

haha.. all i know got long shaft, short shaft & solid shaft
ok let me break down the components, maybe it'll make me understand them better

for eg.-
RS GuitarCap® by Jensen .015 paper and oil
RS GuitarCap® by Jensen .047 paper and oil
Luxe repro Paper and oil Grey Tiger caps.
Luxe repro Paper and oil phone book cap.
Luxe repro Paper and oil Bumble bee caps.

Pre-Wired Premium Modern Electronics Upgrade Kit- Long Shaft [PWPREMMODKIT]
(2) 500K RS Long-Shaft SuperPots™
(2) 500K CTS Long-Shaft Audio taper pots
RS .022 GuitarCap®
RS .015 GuitarCap®

Premium Modern Tele®/Esquire® Style Electronics Upgrade Kit [PREMMODTELE]
(1) 280K RS Solid-Shaft SuperPots™
(1) 250K CTS Solid Shaft Audio taper pots
RS .047 GuitarCap®

RS New Pre-Wired 335 Repro Harness [PW335BEE](re-issue)
(2) 500K RS Short-Shaft SuperPots™
(2) 500K CTS Short-Shaft Audio taper pots
(2) Luxe repro Paper and oil Bumble bee caps.

Pre-Wired Vintage 335 Upgrade Kit [PWVINT335]
same both using 500k pots except for the capacitors
(1) RS Paper and Oil GuitarCap® by Jensen .022
RS Paper and Oil GuitarCap® by Jensen .015

Last edited:
RS GuitarCap® by Jensen .015 paper and oil - PIO Caps for neck tone.
RS GuitarCap® by Jensen .047 paper and oil - PIO Caps for bridge tone
Luxe repro Paper and oil Grey Tiger caps. - Standard 0.22uf caps for both neck & bridge
Luxe repro Paper and oil phone book cap. - Usually for Strats, I think.
Luxe repro Paper and oil Bumble bee caps. - Same as grey tigers. Just different look.

RS GuitarCap® by Jensen .015 paper and oil - PIO Caps for neck tone.
RS GuitarCap® by Jensen .047 paper and oil - PIO Caps for bridge tone
Luxe repro Paper and oil Grey Tiger caps. - Standard 0.22uf caps for both neck & bridge
Luxe repro Paper and oil phone book cap. - Usually for Strats, I think.
Luxe repro Paper and oil Bumble bee caps. - Same as grey tigers. Just different look.

I am not sure which caps to get either. think Ill get the RS Guitarcaps which are cheaper, and probably more consistent.

I am not sure which caps to get either. think Ill get the RS Guitarcaps which are cheaper, and probably more consistent.

No, they're different. The Jensens are warmer, and have more woody tone. The RS Caps are designed for a more modern tone, with more clarity. There's no better or worse, just what you prefer. I personally like clarity, that's why I went with the RS Caps.

basically i need to get a set for tele or esquire(1vol 1tone & a couple of capacitors),

another for 335 or les paul type(2vol 2tones & 1 capacitor), so which comp should i get?

the most 'mind boggling' for me are the capacitors used, can anyone here try simplify them?

What sort of tone are you after?

Tell me that, and I can probably tell you what caps you want.

But they also have the pre-wired kits for Teles, Esquires, 335s and Les Pauls. Why not order the pre-wired ones to save you the trouble?

thats what i thought too but the one i want is going to cost almost usd$200.. crazy!

as for the tone chasing, i've to get back on that.. pressure + stress to explain in words.. haha lol

basically they are going to be for classic '57 pafs, guess its easier for me to understand by breaking down the caps used through visuals..

the top 2 set for 335(bumble bee vs jensen) & the bottom 2 set for tele/esquire(jensen versus rs 0.47 + little yellow cap from vol pot to switch)? -

bf6ae347.jpg

1687f16f.jpg

ebafe4da.jpg

b522b939.jpg

Last edited:
as for the tone chasing, i've to get back on that.. pressure + stress to explain in words.. haha lol

the top 2 set for 335(bumble bee vs jensen) & the bottom 2 set for tele/esquire(jensen versus rs 0.47 + little yellow cap from vol pot to switch)? -

Your Jensens and the Bumblebees generally serve the same purpose, and deliver very similar results. The main differentiator is the RS Guitarcap. Which you end up using is a result of the sort of tone you're after, and vice versa. Regardless of instrument, or wiring.

just curious, is the MO done and over?

Would anyone else want to order? haha, thinking of picking up some stuff..

Latest posts

Back