Pedalboard Pictures!

I saw one in TYMC a while back. Went for SGD120 at clearance. Still kick myself for deciding ten minutes too late in making my decision to get it.

Not sure with they would bring it back. TYMC doesn't seem to be carrying any Budda recently. The Budda's a keeper bro. The purple rocks. It's a really smooth and vocal like Wah. The trebles at the toe position doesn't make your ears bleed and doesn't get woofy on the heel position. I love it both clean and with my drive pedals engaged. Not to extreme but not to polite either. My only gripe about it is that it doesn't have a very wide sweep compared to the other ways like RMC and my old Bad Horsie. And the updated Budda wah pedal looks really nasty and ugly.
buddabudwah.jpg

But you know, it's all in the player's soul. Wah is like an instrument on its own, you got to practice rocking it to make the guitar really scream. Not wanking away on every beat like tapping in a delay time on a strymon. http://www.crybabydoc.com/index.html check out this documentary on the Wah pedal if you got the time!! really interesting stuff :D. Got distracted by it when I was suppose to be studying.

302625_10150413508577640_505107639_9847037_1183511722_n.jpg

Minor update, added the mini expression controller for M9 and touched up everything. Satisfying to play, very gig-worthy... Dare I say no more gas! (for now la)

Hey carboxymoron,

I bought a Blackstone and I just saw this picture of your pedal board with the Blackstone pedal. I found my pedal having a drastic volume drop when I go to drive mode, and also it seems that this pedal has very little low end. Very thin sounding despite adjusting all that is possible on this pedal. I emailed Jon himself and he says it could be me rolling off the guitar's volume knob, which I do but only from 10 to 9 or 8.

So far, I'm pretty disappointed with this pedal but I'm hoping you have some tips on how to make it sound fuller/richer. Or maybe you can even tell me I got a defective piece!

Appreciate your feedback, and I hope the Strymon has been serving you well. :)

Hey carboxymoron,

I bought a Blackstone and I just saw this picture of your pedal board with the Blackstone pedal. I found my pedal having a drastic volume drop when I go to drive mode, and also it seems that this pedal has very little low end. Very thin sounding despite adjusting all that is possible on this pedal. I emailed Jon himself and he says it could be me rolling off the guitar's volume knob, which I do but only from 10 to 9 or 8.

So far, I'm pretty disappointed with this pedal but I'm hoping you have some tips on how to make it sound fuller/richer. Or maybe you can even tell me I got a defective piece!

Appreciate your feedback, and I hope the Strymon has been serving you well. :)

Perhaps you got a bad piece? I've heard this pedal live during a jam and it sounded amazing! What guitar/pickups are you using?

@chungmun
I'm not a person who spends much time tweaking my pedals, usually just set and go... I also found it thin and nearly sold it but after reading a few hundred pages of posts on other forums, I was convinced to sit down and really fine tune it to my guitar (a '52 style tele, but with a Dimarzio Chopper T humbucker in the bridge).

First things first, there are two internal trimpots, for gain and treble. The internal gain has totally different response to the external controls. I.e. low gain inside, high gain outside sounds totally different from high gain inside, low gain outside. I find the internal gain to be more bass-heavy, and I have it set almost full clockwise. Almost -- if you go full clockwise you get a really funky fuzzy tone that the pedal wasn't meant to handle, then just back it off a bit.

For my amber channel, I have the external gain almost 0, and the level at unity. I use it as a mild OD, or my main channel for some songs, using my guitar's volume knob and coil split to get clean and OD sounds.

For my red channel, you probably know the gain is lowest at 12 o'clock, and increases in both directions, but with slightly different bass response for humbucker or single coil. I prefer the humbucker side even with single coils, I guess this channel really depends on the individual guitar.

The mids eq is the only one that bothers me now, because I prefer my amber channel with flat mids (full clockwise), and my red channel slightly scooped. However there's a mod that will make the mid control only apply to the red channel, which you can email Jon about.

I use it in the "reactive" or unbuffered mode, first pedal in the chain. After tweaking it to my guitar, I find that I get very consistent results on any amp. I just set the amp as clean as possible and EQ accordingly.

Anyway, I would be very reluctant to sell it even if I found an OD that I liked slightly better, because of the unique design and small footprint. Hope that helps! And yes, the Strymon is fantastic, though I keep hearing my other guitarist plotting to steal it...

@ice9 Thanks! Don't know how to use then should lend to me first...

Last edited:
The MOST important thing about the Blackstone is that it is as sensitive as the fuzz factory to buffers.
While the FF creates the craziest overtones and harmonics known and unknown to man, the Blackstone can either sound amazing, or extremely disappointing. You HAVE to put it first in the chain to truly appreciate the pedal unfortunately, or at least past a series of true bypass pedals.

The MOST important thing about the Blackstone is that it is as sensitive as the fuzz factory to buffers.
While the FF creates the craziest overtones and harmonics known and unknown to man, the Blackstone can either sound amazing, or extremely disappointing. You HAVE to put it first in the chain to truly appreciate the pedal unfortunately, or at least past a series of true bypass pedals.
That's not true. It can sound great after other pedals, but you have to change the internal switch to the buffered mode (the Blackstone doesn't have a buffer itself, the mode just means it can accept buffered signals). You will lose some touch/volume sensitivity but maintain the similar tone with some tweaking.

Last edited:
Hey, nothing! All my pedals are velcroed flat on the Pedaltrain mini. The M9 extends a few millimetres off the left side too..

haha oops! But how did you manage to flush the bottom of the m9 inline with the pedaltrain? The Cable heads would be in the way hitting the topside of the pedaltrain if you flush it that way without risers wouldnt it ?

Back