Pedalboard Pictures!

quote: Is he really bringing the guitar back into the mainstream? I don't think so leh... Radio still got Riahana's Umbrella song, and loads of RnB stuff...

hehe bro shredcow, it will be pretty haywired to have only all guitar influenced rock songs to be played on mainstream radios. sometimes a little umbrella does add up some spice to our lives.[/quote]

quote: Hehehe... so many bands sound alike nowadays... ah well...

it gets pretty confusing sometimes because i thought the dj is playing 4 or 5 songs straight from the same band :lol: [/quote]

Dear Mr Shredcow,

I would say yes he is bringing the guitar to the mainstream. This is my take from my observations.

As you know, he went to Berkley for a while before he dropped out(someone please correct me), then he got spotted as a talent and was marketed as a lovey dovey pop star( Your body is a wonderland) due to his looks and so called sex appeal. As he was new to the scene then, he had to comply with the labels' marketing strategy and when he had a whole legion of fans( Mostly girls I admit, but who wouldn't want them as fans right?) and he became popular enough with a stable group of regular fans, he started playing and composing the stuff he had originally started out to do, leaning towards his SRV/Hendrix/Albert Collins upbringing.

Thus, fans being fans, follow him loyally thru his transition and swallow up everything he throws at them, and the next thing you know, young Girls and fans become curious about this "hendrix-dude" he keeps mentioning about, and some friends of mine even in Singapore have even asked me to pass them the original recordings of the songs he covers for dunno what reason lah.Hey some even started to listening to the old Blues records as they probably never heard BLUES till they knew Mayer.That is why its quite a phenomenon to me. He is reaching out to the demography where many guitar-based bands have failed since the flower power era of the 60's-70's.

There are some who belong to the group of purists who used to raise their eyebrow at his earlier reviews and etc , but are now slowly taking him seriously.(ME) I'm not his fan boy for that matter, I just appreciate his contribution to music thats all, and I seek to enlighten in any way I can.

:D

Not a fan, but JM's Trio and Continuum are on my repeat in my mp3 for now. Easy on the ears and makes me interested in guitars again (was going through the I-Hate-Guitar phase)

bro snuff, you're right, and he mentioned before in an interview that he had originally wanted to start off his musical career on the electric guitar, but realised that it was alot easier to penetrate the market as an acoustic guitar player with soothing/catchy mainstream songs.

I think the John Mayer Trio stint did wonders for him. It really gave him the space to explore and showcase his ideas on the electric guitar. Continuum is proof of John merging blues into the mainstream.

He sings and plays crazy fill-ins so effortlessly...his chord shapes are wonderful. If not for Mayer, I prob would never have started on some of the biggest blues names ever.

Yup Goose, I fell asleep twice while typing too :D

Next topic please, " Can humans safely co-exist with pedals without fear of them taking over the government?"

hehe bro shredcow, it will be pretty haywired to have only all guitar influenced rock songs to be played on mainstream radios. sometimes a little umbrella does add up some spice to our lives.

No lah Thailoverboy bro, not asking for the whole thing to be same - that would be the 80s! Dreadful! But as you know... good ole guitar orientated rock is quite.. missing.

Perhaps its slowly making a "comeback" lah.

Ella ella ella eh eh eh eh eh ella ella eh eh

Snuff, then good for Mr Mayer. Its nice to see people redirect to some really good (read: real) music.

That said... I kind of understand where Goose is coming from and well... I'd agree for the same reasons why I'd yawn at John Mayer's stuff too. No need to mention the reasons ya? Everyone has 101 (edder has 69 only though) reasons why their music rocks.

/quote
"hehe bro shredcow, it will be pretty haywired to have only all guitar influenced rock songs to be played on mainstream radios. sometimes a little umbrella does add up some spice to our lives"
/quote

Yeah, I think it's about time 'Ji ki sio hor sua' gets its credit man...haunting tune, reverby backup vocals and oh my...those vibrato end notes... :p

No lah Thailoverboy bro, not asking for the whole thing to be same - that would be the 80s! Dreadful! But as you know... good ole guitar orientated rock is quite.. missing.
[quote

actually i secretly wish that will come true :lol:

That said... I kind of understand where Goose is coming from and well... I'd agree for the same reasons why I'd yawn at John Mayer's stuff too. No need to mention the reasons ya? Everyone has 101 (edder has 69 only though) reasons why their music rocks.

Which is exactly why there's hardly a need to diss anyone's music. :D

I read in interview is that it was his plan. To start of with bubblegum stuff, then introduce blues to the pop world.

Anyway,
gimme one good guitar band nowadays
Fox1.JPG

The Derek Trucks band.

edder: lolz... He asked someone to correct him one mah... :lol:

Anyway, about a good band now with good guitar stuff in them...
Flame me all you can... :twisted:

but:
DreamTheater.jpg

^Their most recent two albums have song that sound like they directly lifted Muse songs and ideas and Dream Theater-ized them 8O

"ella" is Greek for the word "come" :D

Derek Trucks is slide guitars extraordinaire!

Come lets all have a collective opiniated YAWN about everybody else's choice of music :D

Latest posts

Back