Manchester United 2008-2009 Season Thread

Don't let me even begin on what flops of purchases other clubs have made. Berbatov played reasonably well with what he was provided with.

one flop purchase certainly won't eradicate another. yes Berbatov showed signs of assimilation but he doesn't show the predatory instinct of a goal scorer...yet. in due fairness, it's still too early in the season to tell.

but from this defeat, it's noted that some MU players tried harder than the rest.

ISNT AIG MAN U SPONSORS???????? :eek:

Government announces $85 billion loan to save AIG
1 hour, 21 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - In a bid to save financial markets and economy from further turmoil, the U.S. government agreed Tuesday to provide an $85 billion emergency loan to rescue the huge insurer AIG. The Federal Reserve said in a statement it determined that a disorderly failure of AIG could hurt the already delicate financial markets and the economy.

It also could "lead to substantially higher borrowing costs, reduced household wealth and materially weaker economic performance," the Fed said.
"The President supports the agreement announced this evening by the Federal Reserve," said White House spokesman Tony Fratto. "These steps are taken in the interest of promoting stability in financial markets and limiting damage to the broader economy."
Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson said the administration was working closely with the Fed, the Securities and Exchange Commission and other government regulators to "enhance the stability and orderliness of our financial markets and minimize the disruption to our economy."
"I support the steps taken by the Federal Reserve tonight to assist AIG in continuing to meet its obligations, mitigate broader disruptions and at the same time protect taxpayers," Paulson said in a statement.
The Fed said in return for the loan, the government will receive a 79.9 percent equity stake in AIG.
Earlier, Fed chairman Bernanke and Paulson met with Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and House Republican leader John Boehner of Ohio, to brief them on the government's option.
"At the administration's request, I met this evening with Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke. They expressed the administration's views on the deepening economic turmoil and shared with us their latest proposals regarding AIG," Reid told reporters. "The Treasury and the Fed have promised to provide more details in the near future, which I believe must address the broader, underlying structural issues in the financial markets."
On Tuesday, shares of the insurance company swung violently as rumors of potential deals involving the government or private parties emerged and were dashed. By late Tuesday, its shares had closed down 20 percent — and another 45 percent after hours. Still, no deal emerged.
The problems at AIG stemmed from its insurance of mortgage-backed securities and other risky debt against default. If AIG couldn't make good on its promise to pay back soured debt, investors feared the consequences would pose a greater threat to the U.S. financial system than this week's collapse of the investment bank Lehman Brothers.
The worries were triggered after Moody's Investor Service and Standard and Poor's lowered AIG's credit ratings, forcing AIG to seek more money for collateral against its insurance contracts. Without that money, AIG would have defaulted on its obligations and the buyers of its insurance — such as banks and other financial companies — would have found themselves without protection against losses on the debt they hold.
"It might not just bring down other financial institutions in the U.S. It could bring down overseas financial institutions," said Timothy Canova, a professor of international economic law at Chapman University School of Law. "If Lehman Brother's failure could help trigger AIG's going down, who knows who AIG's failure could trigger next."
New York-based AIG operates an insurance and financial services businesses ranging from property, casualty, auto and life insurance to annuity and investment services. Those traditional insurance operations are considered healthy and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners said "they are solvent and have the capability to pay claims."

AIG still has to pay manu what manu was promised.
and anyways the amount is reasonably low, 50 million spread out over a few years, so there wont be any impact.
and this is nothing compared to AIGs debt
i personally hate aig.. its damn ugly compared to vodafone a few seasons back.
so fgl.. dont be so happy haha,

they should put sponsors like Audi or something.since Audi sponsors their dug-out seats and cars.

Carrick blow, but Ronny returns

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo will play some part in Wednesday's Champions League clash with Villarreal, but Michael Carrick is definitely out and Dimitar Berbatov is a doubt for the Group E tie.

Ronaldo's rapid recovery from ankle surgery will see him involved in the squad for the first time this season, with the winger likely to be handed a spot on the bench.

“Cristiano will certainly be involved,” Sir Alex said at his pre-match press conference. “Whether we start him or not, irrespective of other players’ injuries, is still a major decision. I think it’s more likely that he will start on the bench."

The diagnosis of Carrick's injury is less favourable. A medical examination on Sunday showed the midfielder suffered a small crack in his right foot whilst going in for a tackle at Anfield. He could now miss up to six weeks of football.

“Michael's injury hasn't turned out well for us," confirmed Sir Alex. "He’ll be out for four to six weeks, which isn't good news. We have some other injury concerns ahead of the Villarreal game. Berbatov is very doubtful. He got a knee injury on Saturday. He came off for treatment and then played on, but there has been some swelling. We’ll work hard on that, but we may not have enough time.

“There were one or two other bumps and bruises from Saturday. Wes Brown got a knee injury and Patrice Evra felt sick during the game, but they should both be OK."

Fortunately, Sir Alex feels that he has plenty of options to cope. "It’s an important game with it being the start of our Champions League campaign," he said. "We have some injuries but we have a strong squad so we should be all right in terms of putting out a good team."

Hah nice one bro u've got it right! As for the game, i think Babel's goal was a bit lucky, the keeper's positioning wasn't good and he wasn't helped by his 2 teammates on the line, who didn't even react when Babel shot. But as they say in football, a win is a win. And i think Berbatov is a bum, he waits for the ball, not chases after it. That's why Rooney is best to partner him, he'll run like mad to chase down balls, then pass them to Berba to finish. Too bad Fergie had to play him on the right. But i must say, Tevez's goal was nice.

i am not expecting much from stamford bridge...cristiano looks sharp as always against villareal but still short of match fitness...berbatov is still doubtful...so a draw would do just fine for me

1-1

dang, there was a real delibrate push on rooney in our own penalty box by drogba.

and ronaldo's yellow card. that was stupid?

There were two players onto him, one slide from back, one slide from the side. Then he suggested to the referee that he had been fouled, then the referee showed a yellow card.

Latest posts

Back