Manchester United 2008-2009 Season Thread

that Portugese dude is the European Footballer of the Year...

"PARIS: Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo won the European Footballer of the Year Award here on Tuesday.

The 23-year-old Portuguese star is the first from his country to win the coveted 'Ballon D'Or' award which is given by 'France Football' since Luis Figo in 2000.

His award - which he has widely spoken about having said in the last week that not only is he the best footballer in the world but also the second and third best - comes on the back of exceptional performances for his club side last season.

He scored a remarkable 42 times in 49 matches as United secured a memorable league and European Cup double.

However, Spaniard Fernando Torres can feel hard done by as he scored a lot of great goals for Liverpool in the Premiership and the only goal in the Euro 2008 final against Germany. "

-AFP

As much as I love Man Utd...I believe this guy..however wonderful a talent he is..is a PRICK...his pre-season saga 'tween Utd and Real..is holding the very club that allowed him to blossom to where he is today to ransom..

I DO NOT LIKE HIM AT ALL....I'd rather another footballer won this award...
watch out..when the transfer season open or next season..this dude would repeat this pattern again and again..

yeah i dislike him too. but all credit to him lah. he deserved it.

i still rmb when he limped off injured against aston villa. the fans were booing him like crazy. and what does he do? signals to them "i'm number 1". thats unnecessary provoking of the crowd and sheer arrogance.

and when he gets sent off against city. WTF was that face! haha i mean... nvm..

true bro he deserved it with his heroics last season BUT he has yet to prove his mettle on the World stage...

Maradona...now that's my hero...however flawed he is..is a GENIUS on the field..
I do not remember him holding his club to a ransom..from Boca transferred to Barca..from Barca to Napoli..

true bro he deserved it with his heroics last season BUT he has yet to prove his mettle on the World stage...

what i think, is that his unbelievable stuff in the bpl and champions league made up for the world stage crap. even i have to admit 42 goals for a winger sounds far fetched.

he needs some humbling though. very arrogant person.

I think berbatov was really not needed in the man utd team. Fergie should not have bought him with that kind of price tag. Fraizer Campbell should not be loan to tottenham for berbatov. He was not even near to average in the derby match. It was a wrong move for united to get him. Don't you guys agree?

yes! totally agree with you!
Tevez is much better than Berbatov. Berbatov should be the one on the bench, if it wasnt for his arrival, tevez would have been scoring goals now

Ronaldo is pure arrogance.United need to scrap him.Use his re-sale value and get some humble talents to buck up United's performance.Fergie should just let him go if City puts in a bid.I cant stand him anymore.Time to give his other compatriot a chance.

Hopefully Nani wont turn out to be a player too similar like Ronny.Lets see if United can perform even better without Ronaldo on the pitch serving his red card handed to him recently.They should start getting used to life without him if he pulls of another saga with Real Madrid.

United should turn to some French and German talents.Coming the recent International Friendlies,many debutants for country have impressed me.Too many to name and recall.

yup.. imagine what we could have done with 70milion pounds.

arrogance.. sigh..

the good old players, scholes, giggs, why cant the younger players look up to them as role models. they are satisfied with their pay checks, they keep a low profile. wish we still could have roy keane to blast their attitude publicly again.

wooo!

Man Utd 1 Sunderland 0
Vidic 90+1 min

last 14mins, with the extra-time included was amazing.
Red wave after, red wave after red wave.. Pressure play at its best.
sunderland may have been aggrieved with them deserving a draw..
stats from soccernet shown that Man Utd had 31 shots, with 8 on target, sunderland 3 shots, none on target.
sunderland defended like there was no tomorrow.
could have been more if not for their tight defence, kudos to them.

sidenotes:
- ronaldo injured, probably a rib bruise or something.. but after his withdrawal, things started getting urgent.. so hmm..
- rooney picked up 5th yellow card, misses mext match against spurs.

Yet another scrambled performance by the Red Devils.Not that satisfying reflecting to their standards but 3 points secured is the main aim here.

United have to step into gear now but usually at this point big teams like United have fixture congestion which causes fatigue among the players but considering the depth and quality SAF possess I believe United and pull it through and scrape all the points needed to put them back to the top.

Next up Aalborg in the midweek CL fixture.I expect a half quality squad with some youth in the starting line-up.Players like Anderson,Nani,Giggs,Scholes need to play in these games as their season hasnt really started.They havent been playing to their assumed standards which is a disappointment.

crunch match tonight?

it's spurs guys! funny thing, berba might not make it tonight.

from manutd.com, Carrick, Berba, Ronaldo and Ferdinand are doubtful for the match.
to make things worse, Rooney and Evra are both suspended.

depleted side against spurs.

being realistic, it's going to be a draw, but the Devils better not play for a draw.

It was a draw, 0-0. Seems like this period is good for the smaller teams bcos of a less packed fixture list. Looks like it really is the season of the underdogs.

was @ KL, hoping the match would be shown over the hotel channels, but it didn't. goalless draw so sleep was the right choice :cool:

? It was Liverpool vs Hull. And with 4 goals in it, why wld u sleep? Unless u mean Newcastle vs Portsmouth? That had 3 goals in it.

i cant even watch a single match.im in china now.argh this sucks!

Man Utd to win the FIFA World Club!!

Latest posts

Back