Keeley MT-2 Mod and BD-2 Phat Mod

Whitestrat

Ok. I've gotten this pedal for a few weeks now.

I must say, this thing surpassed my expectations with flying colours. I used to like the old MT2, but I've always found it a little stifling and dry with too much crunch, not enough oomph and a little too much fizz.

We start with position 1. (there are 3 modes. Stock, Ultra Tube and Triple Diode Mode).

The stock more sounds like the MT-2 before, except it's a little clearer, and more open than previous. Not as compressed anymore, but still quite buzzy. It's ok, though I expected more from this pedal than this mode.

I switch to the Triple Diode mode. Wah lau eh... This thing suddenly changed. I plugged it thru my TINY Fender Bronco amp at home, and I'm suddenly facing a solid state amp WITH AIR!!!!! It's big, open, airy and punchy! When's the last time I heard this? A MESA Dual Rectifier. And this is a 15w Solid State Amp!!!!!

But being a small 8" speaker, it's got it's limitations still. Thru the 10" on the Laney tube amp, and it's much bigger. But this time, because of the stock 10" Jensen, the MT-2 comes across a little warmer and rounder.

I move to the Ulta mode, and it's scary loud. Not as different from the triple diode, just much louder, more mids, and the bass remains the same, which gives the impression that it's reduced. Not my thing. The MT-2 now sounds too "rock". I want metal. The triple diode mode it is.

So I take it to a jam session. Now I'm playing thru a real MESA Dual Rectifier. Except, it's set 100% on clean, vintage mode. Low gain, and no break up. Clean is clean.

I turn on the MT2. I get dynamics on high gain!!! I get controllable tone variations! I get modern METAL tones!!! (Think Alterbridge. Very Alterbridge!!!!)

I never imagined it. The Keeley Mt2 Mod can turn the simple MT2 into a tone monster with super high gain, that is not compressed, buzzy or fizzy.

Shiok.

here's another review, that basically says the same thing from a different source.
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f30/keeley-mt2-boss-metal-zone-25380.html

The other pedal, the BD2, was also impressive. It's fat. The old BD2 was thin and cruncy. Nicely thin, but you'd want a bigger fat tone from that pedal. This mod did it. The full gain stage sounds almost fuzz-like. It's responsive, transparent and punchy. Not as smooth as I'd like it to be, but nevertheless, nice. Strangely enough, the BD2 on high gain screams and chuggs more than the Keeley DS-1 I got. That one a bit disappointing to me. I'm still trying to get used to the DS-1. It's nice, but with the crunchbox, I can't imagine the DS-1 replacing it. The BD2 ont the other hand, CAN and WILL replace my Tubezone Overdrive.

The MT-2 is still the winner. Of all 3 Keeley pedals I got. I'm unable to provide clips, since I can't record my pedals like Shreddy can. But you can hear them on Keeley's site. http://www.robertkeeley.com/ But let me warn you: the MT-2 clips aren't as impressive as the real thing.

Last edited:
i gt a keeley MT-2 recently too... it's sound damn awesome.. the Turbo is very scary and can blast ur amp it's really TURBO!!!!

Bro where you get the MT-2? The keeley site can only use paypal.....

Last edited:
The Keeley BD-2 is an awesome pedal! Got my chance to demo it.. Really great sounding pedal.. Wonder how it compares to a Zendrive though..

These Boss pedals really need a good mod. Then they really shine... at least a good deal brighter.

Ya... the MT-2 sounds now like what it SHOULD sound like from the beginning. Then again, it's not the 80s kind of metal tone anymore. More like the modern metal sort of punch.

The BD2 was nice. Now it's even nicer. More organic.

The DS-1 on the other hand, doesn't sound a punchy as the old one. It's more transparent, and more open. But when played loud, it's awesome!

Ya... the MT-2 sounds now like what it SHOULD sound like from the beginning. Then again, it's not the 80s kind of metal tone anymore. More like the modern metal sort of punch.

The BD2 was nice. Now it's even nicer. More organic.

That is true. This is one of the reasons why I never really understood how anyone could like a modern stock Boss dirt pedal into a clean amp. Maybe the stock BD-2, DS-1, SD-1 rocks in front of a dirty tube amp but the any of them (and the MT2) stock into a clean amp - blah. Even the Boss demo on youtube... did you see the newer one where the DS1 was demo-ed? The moment it was switched on, it was fizz galore and I thought the demo-er's face fell for a moment.

The DS-1 on the other hand, doesn't sound a punchy as the old one. It's more transparent, and more open. But when played loud, it's awesome!

I find the Keeley DS-1 modded towards driving an amp or stacking with other pedals. It does add too much low end though, methinks.

I find BOSS pedals to be revolutionary pieces of art, yes, art.
Alright, I know nuts about circuitry, but most of us, if not all, can agree that Boss pedals sound good stock, good not great. But, it provides a fantastic platform for people to perform their own mods on it and make it a truly wonderful beast that is on par, or even better than boutique pedals out there.
BOSS pedals that I think sounds great stock (in order):
SD-1
DS-1 (MIJ)
BD-2
MT-2

Of course, I'm only dealing with drives here (I'm not much of a modulation guy). But thing is, with a huge array of mods out there, the possibilities of a BOSS pedal is ENDLESS.
Eg. Just for the BD-2 alone (in order of popularity):
Robert Keeley BD-2 Phat Mod
http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=14
Monte Allums BD-2 Mod, BD-2 H20 Mod BD-2 H20 Plus Mod
http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html#boss_bd2_kit
Analog.Man BD-2/Super Mod
http://www.analogman.com/boss.htm
IndyGuitarist BD-2 Brent Mason Mod, Fullbody Mod, Tube Mod, Fuzz Mod, Tweed Mod, Hotrod Mod
http://www.indyguitarist.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=67
Vodka Mods BD-2 The Anna K
http://www.vodkamods.com/bd-2.html

With so many variations of the BD-2 (which I think is an excellent pedal), I could just have 1 entire board of BD-2s! :mrgreen:

That is true. This is one of the reasons why I never really understood how anyone could like a modern stock Boss dirt pedal into a clean amp.

Actually, you're right. It's nicer into a dirty channel than into a clean. But the PHAT Mod for the BD2 is nice into a clean channel, and so is the MT2 modded. Stock, they're a little tasteless.

I find the Keeley DS-1 modded towards driving an amp or stacking with other pedals. It does add too much low end though, methinks.

I think you're right man... I'm gonna go try stacking it with something else... Like the BD-2.:mrgreen:

haha thats why my level knob is always full. its definitely much better than the stock ds-1, better than some jap ones imo. but its not super duper fantastic.

i have yet to try the mt-2 yet. )):

On the Keeley BD2 and SD1...

My friend and I did a side-to-side comparison of his BOSS BD2 and the Keeley BD2 the other day.. the interesting thing was that both pedals didn't sound all that different.

The Keeley managed to clean up the sound, make things more organic and open, stopped the squeals at the higher gains. Another big plus, the Keeley had much less tone sucking while bypassed as well.

Our conclusion: if you love the Boss BD2 you're definitely going to love the Keeley BD2. Whether you're going to fork out the additional cash for it really depends on how obsessive you are about going from good to better (way better)! :D

As for my Keeley SD-1.. I'm loving it! Lying somewhere between the tubescreamers and other distortion pedals.. This baby sings.. Crank the gain up, and apply a little vibrato and you get loads of sustain on the brink of breaking into different overtones.. and the germanium transistor in the SD-1 ... is an acquired taste.. Drools.

the forbidden place, my herosss
icon10.gif

Back