All IbAnEz JEM lovers in here!~ on the double!~

Considering a guitar's make, price, playability and value, I'd sincerely steer clear of a JEM .

I believe this guitar rates tops for cosmetics and has good pickups, but for some reason, for the asking price, I would rather get a good RG for performance.

I would purchase the guitar however, If i were an avid Steve Vai fan, purely for collection purposes.

the jem in mirror finish looks just wrong, whereas the js in chrome looks heavenly, i think gerald was juz posting to show us this point rite? :lol:

Re: Hmm

neuro182 said:
Haha *raised both hands* I'm innocent, not taking sides :D Both are good in their own ways :lol:

heehee :lol:

anw wad mr moo said is true, ur paying top $ for the vine inlay, which will not improve tonal quality, and at that price can def get a more feature packed guitar

Hmm

Hmm.. The more I look at my RG350DX, the more it looks like a JEM555WH without the monkey bar grip. But sound wise, its like the Green Tea brand - Heaven & Earth!!

But I still love it :D

neuro182 said:
Hmm.. The more I look at my RG350DX, the more it looks like a JEM555WH without the monkey bar grip. But sound wise, its like the Green Tea brand - Heaven & Earth!!

But I still love it :D

well if you want to, you could route urself a monkey grip, used to see a lot of DIYers on the ultimate-guitar.com forums doing monkey grips on their guitars

neuro182, there's actually a very big issue with the pre-2003 jem555. The Lo Trs trem is totally totally inferior. Granted, its better than the Jem Jr's ILT1 bridge but just ask anyone who's owned a guitar with a Lo Trs trem. Its a nightmare of unstable tuning.

Come 2003 onwards, the Jem555 has a much better trem, the Edge Pro II. Still inferior to the big brother, Edge Pro, but much better than the horrid lo trs.

Anyway, when it comes down to comparisons... the Jem555 is still not prestiege make... the half done vine is well... half done.

If you can't afford the real thing, then the Jem555 is the closest to a real Jem.

subversion said:
another probe- will you then purchase a JEM because of the Steve Vai factor? if not (looks aside) what then is your reason?

Even somebody designs JEMs and Steve does not play them, i will still buy them because of their beauty, superior craftmanship, good electronic and hardware.

jeremyrozario said:
neuro182 said:
Haha *raised both hands* I'm innocent, not taking sides :D Both are good in their own ways :lol:

heehee :lol:

anw wad mr moo said is true, ur paying top $ for the vine inlay, which will not improve tonal quality, and at that price can def get a more feature packed guitar

what more feature packed do you want? Les Paul tone?

jumbofret said:
This JEM is the closest you can get to Vai's very own guitar...

JEM-7V WH Perfect Mod.(Sustainer Mod w/Buzz Feiten Tuning System)

44713_b.gif

sub2.jpg

Personally, I don't like JEMs as much as you guys. It's cool and great for playing, but I don't know... Must be the Monkey Grip, lol

I saw Vai playing dat guitar in G3 DVD.
What pick ups are those? That guitar seems to hv some extra toggle switches & volume/tone.
Anybody can shed some light?

I agree with BlackMoo. I would rather get a good RG at that price.

edder: The Monkey Grip is just a unique cosmetic feature. Doesn't affect playability, but I believe it affects the guitar's resonance and hence, tone. Holes are very stylish and unique, and I must admit this, the Swiss Cheese guitar Bumblefoot had appeals to me more than the JEM! :lol:

Jay_Clones: That's a perfect JEM out in the guitar market (Unavailable in Swee Lee)... Closest you can get to Vai's guitar... Vai's fans will die for this one...

Jay_Clones said:
I saw Vai playing dat guitar in G3 DVD.
What pick ups are those? That guitar seems to hv some extra toggle switches & volume/tone.
Anybody can shed some light?

the pickup in the neck is a fernandes sustainer, aand i have no id what that does, any1 else can shed more light?

Like the name... it sustains a note infinitely. At least till the battery dies.
Works like an Ebow.

2 well known systems out there... the Sustainiac Sustainer and Fernandes Sustainer. Jackson also has one but I don't know much abt it. Sustainiac's version is currently much small than Fernandes' version, requires less routing.

Do a google and you'll find their websites and all the info you need.

well guys i think Jems really feel different from the other ibanez i've played. maybe its a mentality thingy..but jems..dont just represent Vai to me.

i'm not a huge fan of Vai..frankly i prefer the styles of Reb Beach,Kotzen blah blah..but hell i like the jem for what it is.. - a work of art and a well built equipment.

i once procured a particular Jem 77FP for close to bout $2k but had to give it back due to a crack in the upper horn where the neck and body meets.But that moment i really felt the weight and feel of a real axe.( it does feel really different..non plasticky)

I'm still looking for the Jem 77FP or the BFP though..it may be a long shot but anybody's lookin to sell one..drop me a mail!~

Back