8th Soft's Drum Xchange/Meetup - 17th Nov 2007 ! DXS Group Photo-Taking at 3pm

hey chewy,sori abt cutting at ur trade towards the end of the video. it was due to my inexperience with trading. it was really fun trading with u though and it was really cool of u for being such a sport when put in such a position when asked.

yes...blown away by Md Noor...

he seems to have been overlooked at Drumfest and Thomas Lang's clinic (or even in the general public mindset as compared to his local counterparts), but through no fault of his or Tan Boon and the rest of the Drumfest organizers. maybe as with most other things, the public in general tends to feel drawn to foreign or even non-Asian artistes and sometimes forget that we have homegrown "hidden tigers" within our midst. perhaps a clinic with him at the helm will fix that? so that he gets 100% of our attention :mrgreen:

anyway there's this quiet confidence in his surehanded strokes. like he knows what he's doing, he knows what he can or cannot do and he doesn't feel a need to be "in your face" about his strengths. when he spoke, it was like talking to a friend, no airs.

hope he wasn't disappointed with our lack of questions. not that we weren't interested, think most were still sort of half asleep...heh!

the other person who blew me away was Dol (right spelling?). whether he's been playing in the club scene since the 80s, 70,s or 60s, you totally couldn't tell by the ease of his double pedalling and lightning hands. age is really no barrier, man!!

Last edited:
Md Noor was very inspiring...he didn't need to show anything to inspire actually...very down to earth and humble. Hope to see him around more often.

Just watched the youtube video...damn i love the sound of bass drum...reminds me of the aaron spears+usher vid...

The exchange this time was really a blast. Although I only managed to come after 3, it was well indeed worth my time going down. :p

The part where Ah Pek, Mark and Rajiv shared their knowledge of samba and songo was really educational, I was so pleased to be able to learn so much in such a short time. However, apart from the rumba and sonn 3 2 clave, I cant remember the names of the other patterns.. infomation overload already lol. Any chances where I can get info on all this terms?

Yup... MN was spot-on on trying to be somebody... just be yourself... you are known for your signature style of playing...

By the way... heard that my precious got some bashing by some young drummers when I left... Eric, are you having a good time with my precious at home?

I came late too, after 3pm. Heard so many good stuff about Md Noor. It's my punishment for being a sleepy head.

When I arrived, Chow Kit was playing with another boy, a bassist and Ah Pek. I thought that was really awesome!

And like spinninsticks. I love the Ah Pek, Mark and Rajiv segment too! Primary because I am still trying to learn how to swing properly and it was really educational hearing them about about the swinging feel, as well as various Latin rhythms.

Before disco, in the old days, swing was THE dance music! At least that how I feel lah, not sure about it's historical accuracy so don't quote me. And Latin grooves always have this dancey feel that you can't help but move your feet to. It really brings out the inner rhythm in you.

And yes, I adore dance music. Gimme, gimme, gimme more!

oh my oh my, lennat pls tell me you didnt bring the acrolite this time and you'll bring it the next meetup! pls pls pls.

and marc, watching it now. loading up real slow though.

Haha, I bought! I showed it to a couple of people only towards the end 'coz I was late. Wahaha.

But it was "flabby" because I changed the bottom skin myself and didn't do a good job at it. But Ah Pek helped me tuned it back up! Whoo-hoo!

You live so near me, can come by anytime in the day to check it out!

blueprintstudios

video was good. audio i think maybe needs more work. snare and cymbals sounded good... i'm not sure how to explain in technical terms but i think need to cut out some frequencies on the toms? the toms sound more like "bong" then "dhoom"... otherwise, nice! hope to see more :D

sidmontu : haha thanks, as for the audio.. well, this is a freebie after all, i'm not putting in too much effort on the mixing, just make it sound "audible and okay" kind of a rough mix. but yeah the high toms was more budget using cheap behringer C2 mics. (I know the floor tom confirm sounds okay, my favourite mic) , then later on half way I changed the left tom one to a standard SM57. if I recall hearing the later-recordings it sounded better + someone (I believe the guy named "ah pek") re-tuned the drums/toms. will keep updated tomorrow after work then continue mixing and all.

glad you guys like it

haha man so sad that i had to leave early - it was a blast though... i was like just sitting in awe.

blueprint - wow! thanks for making the effort - it's definitely one of the better drum videos on youtube because of the miking!

blueprintstudios:

Thanks Bro for the Recording - can't wait till it's done. (and....remember hor - the next round you teach us how to do this kind of simple recording at home or small Venue right)...Thanks I am sure many will be interested after listening to it.

Zildjohn: -

Thanks for taking the pics for us - waiting for the upload and copies to do Promotion for DES using your pics.

Everyone That Attended: -

Thanks for your time, for attending and joining and sharing with us all on Saturday - -You Have All Made It Happen and Happening For Us All. ........ It was indeed INSPIRING...and we have proof of this.....

I shall put up the Pics tomorrow & some videos on How Inspiring you Drummers were.

PS: - The Committee at the CC was astonish at the numbers of Drummers there, and ask me - How DId All These Drummers Came Together - I was really proud of you all.

A group of People came in (Jiv & Drummeright was drumming) - - - but was ask to leave by the Committee there cause they are not Part Of Us - but they all came in - because they were simply inspire by the way you all drum.

From this group came a guy - who ask James "Can I drum, Can I drum"...I brought him to the Tama where Bro smithdrum let him drum - he was so excited for those who were there who saw it.....

You Guys & Girls ROCK.kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk man. !

The PIcs will be up tomorrow

Myner, D_H might not be talking about you. But it's good that you admitted you hit quite hard. haha. Md Noor's approach is really creative. I've never heard of ghosting with fingers on the snare while playing cross stick.

The Mb10 is made to take the bashing but the issue is the correct technique of bashing so as not to damage the cymbals. The Mb 10 set cost about $1k... so you guys out there do be responsible as it is a privilege to play on those cymbals.

RD you should play too!you are great drummer!
btw,did anyone notice the guy in pinkshirt who attended the meet up on sunday?
i found he's kinda.......creepie.i mean he was really brave to go in front and play but but..he started to act really2 creepie..

DID ANYONE SEE HIM?

Back