why is everything so expensive in singapore?

One thing I noticed too is that sellers that regularly post here sometimes ONLY post at Gtree, STClass or etc. and not in soft. For example, check out the mfx pedals at Carousel now. Familiar?

And as mentioned, the price is not what you'd expect to find in soft (slightly cheaper). No harm there. Like richardB said, it prolly has gone through the buy/sell cycle here and dont want to be 'found' out :p

Still, bargain hunters (eg. like me), should be aware of this and DO THEIR HOMEWORK lah so as not to be paying more than you should.

Just my 2 cents. happy shopping!

well I go to Japan soon for company, prolly come back with vintage mij 2x good for same price here...mayb 3x

Funny, if you could go to Japan and buy, then you should, so there would be no need to complain about how expensive it is in the soft buy/sell. There is a reason why certain things are cheaper in their country of make, due to the inclusion of things like import costs and airfare.

Funny, if you could go to Japan and buy, then you should, so there would be no need to complain about how expensive it is in the soft buy/sell. There is a reason why certain things are cheaper in their country of make, due to the inclusion of things like import costs and airfare.

yes i go, but not too much, first time in long time ok

nevermind ah, then when you buy, next time you want to sell, make sure its 80% or less of what you paid ok. :))

where got overpay, say u buy a guitar, $550 in japan, second hand price here is usually $600 to $800 then when u want to sell, according to your logic, it means you will also be selling at $500 or below, since you dont count in the extra costs right?

I am really sorry to read this. but this thread starter is a piece of shit. If you don't like their prices, don't buy. If you can travel to Japan where yen is low, buy and then don't try to rat shit anyone here by saying that you would sell it less than what you bought it for. I don't really understand the rationale here, except he is perhaps trying to get a better bargain for himself. Perhaps Ebay would help but has anybody noticed that the US dollar is up. i have seen good sellers here trying to push a good Les Pauk standard for just $2199. Now try to get a premium burst like that on ebay for instance and then factor in shipping and GST and then tell me that 75% of the guys here are trying to over price their stuff. Sorry… I digress, threadstarter probably cannot afford these properly priced guitars if he is looking for bargains

For the young kids: A guitar is a guitar, even if its 2nd or 3rd hand etc - it doesn't play any differently from one straight from the factory.

But honestly, if you are that cool, get a job, get a real life and buy brand new. Save you all the heartache of trying to tell everyone how you can't afford something and is fishing for a gift horse.

-- From an older muso… don;t believe my age… check my join date.

right on bro. For those that frequent Buy/sell forums would know the thread starter very well for his constant comments on people's sell threads, esp MIJ les pauls, MIJ guitars, asking questions and giving pointless comments like 'why so expensive' with no intention to buy at all.

examples for all to see: http://www.soft.com.sg/forum/showth...ria-semi-hollow-400-neg&p=1390787#post1390787

http://www.soft.com.sg/forum/showth...anese-Les-Paul-flametop&p=1386267#post1386267

http://www.soft.com.sg/forum/showth...(Price-further-reduced)&p=1377368#post1377368

this one is the best: perfect example of a lowballer
http://www.soft.com.sg/forum/showth...Guitar-*-Great-Price!!!&p=1273135#post1273135

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken
right on bro. For those that frequent Buy/sell forums would know the thread starter very well for his constant comments on people's sell threads, esp MIJ les pauls, MIJ guitars, asking questions and giving pointless comments like 'why so expensive' with no intention to buy at all.

examples for all to see: http://www.soft.com.sg/forum/showth...ria-semi-hollow-400-neg&p=1390787#post1390787

http://www.soft.com.sg/forum/showth...anese-Les-Paul-flametop&p=1386267#post1386267

http://www.soft.com.sg/forum/showth...(Price-further-reduced)&p=1377368#post1377368

this one is the best: perfect example of a lowballer
http://www.soft.com.sg/forum/showth...Guitar-*-Great-Price!!!&p=1273135#post1273135

truth hurting bro, those price too high

too high for you, no need buy. no need complain. simple as that.

$400 for mij aria too high? gotta be kidding me.

if you manage to find something cheaper, sure that's great but there is no need to say that it is too high if you cannot afford it. It's like you only want to pay $1500 sgd for a used Gibson Les Paul, and when you find no one selling it at that super low price in good condition you complain that everything here is expensive.

Don't be such sour grapes, you can't always get what you want. (Especially not at the prices you want to buy at.)

a very example right here :
DSDOY51.png

Last edited:
LOL. $310 for an ESP? This OP is a persistent super lowballer and a troll alright. I'm surprised he's still not banned here.

well I go to Japan soon for company, prolly come back with vintage mij 2x good for same price here...mayb 3x

Go Japan get a good deal, come back Changi airport pay 7% GST of the guitar price, you'll realise you got a worse deal.

The buyers in soft nowadays are full of lowballers and simpletons.

too high for you, no need buy. no need complain. simple as that.

$400 for mij aria too high? gotta be kidding me.

if you manage to find something cheaper, sure that's great but there is no need to say that it is too high if you cannot afford it. It's like you only want to pay $1500 sgd for a used Gibson Les Paul, and when you find no one selling it at that super low price in good condition you complain that everything here is expensive.

Don't be such sour grapes, you can't always get what you want. (Especially not at the prices you want to buy at.)

a very example right here :
DSDOY51.png

you are so smart what make you think you know what seller had or really say in message? n why dony u tell me what guitar sold for?

..........In addition to that, people's sense of value here is warped to put it kindly. While I do agree items are worth how much a buyer is willing to pay for them, time and again I see items posted above retail price or a pathetic difference such as 20-30 dollars under first hand. People trying to sell lower range japanese fenders for 1.2k make me laugh. Shipping needs to be accounted indeed, but it isn't as big of a deal as it's made out to be.

Also far too often I find people posting modified guitars and claiming that the "upgrades" make them worth several hundreds above an original piece, they can't seem to understand that what might be an upgrade to you is purely subjective and not always to others, and not deserving of a price increase.

Anyhow, the second hand guitar market in Singapore is quite atrocious in the lower end, it appears to get slightly more reasonable with the higher prices items at 2-3k where the sellers appear to have a semblance of knowledge on the items they are selling, emphasis on slightly.

Although I don't agree with the OP's cheapskate attitude and irritating lowballing tactic, but I do agree the second hand prices in SOFT are not really good value nowadays. I agree with this poster above, especially those in bold. The asking price, especially the sub $1K ones, don't seem to make sense at times. In the more affordable price range, people would prefer to buy a brand new guitar rather than buy a used one from you so as to save a measly $50-$150 for example. Just like today, someone is selling a used PRS SE with a bad ding for $750. Does he ever check what the current retail price (eg. from Davis) is?

Hey guys, just chill.

It's also a free marketplace where people are free to choose what they wanna sell, and how they wanna price things.

Whether anyone wants to buy it at the end of the day, that's another story.

Here's the thing, you would realise the ones that overpriced their used wares would prob never ever successful sell it. That's why you see their ads everyday. It is the same as how those that constantly lowball, they would never end up getting the item and at the end of the day, it will be sold to a more deserving buyer. Unless we have a super mod who is solely in charge of taking care of the buy/sell section, complaints for lowballing, overpricing will always be around. Why? Cause everyone is selfish, end of story. Everyone wants a good deal - I want to sell and recoup the most amount of $$ I can, and for the buyer - I want to buy the best goods at the lowest price possible. In local terms we call it kiasu aka scared to lose out. This is economics.

I think the whole issue of this thread is that yes, certain things are being overpriced in this section of the forum, yes certain people are just lowballing others. So what can we do about it?

If no one buys an overpriced item, who stands to suffer?
If lowballer tries and tries but cant get anything he wants, who is the sad one. Hmmm I wonder.

- - - Updated - - -

you are so smart what make you think you know what seller had or really say in message? n why dony u tell me what guitar sold for?

I don't really need to know, cause just look at these 2 replies:
"how about helping a struggling brother out and sell to me for less?"
"I WANT THIS GUITAR. ha"

Back