Why men find it hard to commit...

roninriot

Banned
Why some men find it hard to commit...

LOVE YOU LONG TIME?
Why do men find it so difficult to commit to just one woman? We couldn’t really be that fickle… could we?

WRITTEN BY LEVAN WEE

I’ve never been any good at long-term relationships. They are as foreign to me as a UFO from Uranus and as far from my heart as the distance between Antarctica and the Arctic. Staying committed to a girl just isn’t in my DNA. Don’t be mistaken; I am not against the idea of love – I’ve been in love plenty of times. I’m just against the idea of keeping myself in love after its expiry date passes. Just like milk, the sweetest of tastes always turns sour eventually.

I’m sure I’m not the only guy who feels this way too. Since the dawn of time, probably when early men first discovered the full functionality of their little brothers ‘down there’, men have been instinctively commitment-phobic. Think I’m making this up? Well, recent statistics reveal the rate of divorce in Singapore to be rising and the rate of marriages to be on the decline. What this simply means is that the dreaded ‘C-word’ remains low on the priority list of things to do for guys – right beneath plucking our nostril hairs and eating poisonous Pong Pong fruits. It’s no surprise as well that teenaged guys dive in and out of relationships faster than they can shout “I’m horny for more, more, more!”

That’s not to say commitment is a bad thing. On the contrary, I admire any guy who’s able to commit to a girl for the long haul. But to me, a long-lasting love affair isn’t very different from dragging yourself through a desert, misled by an oasis of wonderful thoughts of living happily ever-after, only to realise that romance is a mirage that lulls your senses and knocks you down when you aren’t looking. Still, one man’s poison is another man’s meat – I’d just rather be getting more choices of meat than the other guy, if you get my drift.

I know what the ladies must be thinking; Why can’t guys just commit? Well, there’s a very good excuse….um, I mean, reason for our fear of commitment– five good reasons actually!

1. FREEDOM IS A NICE ‘F’ WORD
Freedom – we love it, we want it, we crave it. A guy values his freedom the way he values watching a football match with his buddies on weekends. When a man feels like a relationship is infringing on his freedom to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants to, he runs like a scared dog. It’s not exactly the best of escape routes but it’s certainly better than standing around and peeing on the rug.

2. LOSS OF FREE TIME
Serious long-term relationships take up an incredulous amount of time and patience. Most guys are horrible at multi-tasking – we can’t read the papers and hold a conversation at the same time to save our lives! It’s just not built into our programming. Work and play are two very separate commodities that each requires a specific amount of time. As a result, when a relationship starts to eat into our precious fun time, the alarm bells start ringing and we immediately start dashing for the nearest exit route.

3. FEAR OF GETTING HURT
Men are just as capable of suffering from a broken heart as a woman is – the one difference being that the guy usually has so huge an ego, he’ll never admit it. Commitment means wearing your heart on your sleeve, putting your emotions on the line and exposing yourself to the risk of getting hurt in the long run. The truth is, other single men will always be on the hunt for new women, so what’s to say the girl you truly love won’t pack up and leave you for another man who’s better in bed, richer or just plain cooler than you? As much as we hate to admit it, men are insecure and an insecure man is a man who will find any means necessary to hide his weaknesses – and that usually involves getting out before getting in too deep in a relationship.

4. WE’RE HORNY DEVILS
Usually when men boast to their friends about having slept with X number of girls (X = actual number of girls he’s slept with * shameless exaggeration), his friends give him a big pat on the back for being a stallion of love. On the other hand, a woman who readily divulges the number of men she’s slept with is usually greeted with far less fanfare and is oftentimes branded as being that bad ‘S’ word. It’s a sad but true reality that we practice double standards in our society and as a result, a man often finds himself having to prove his manliness through his ability to charm a lady out of her dress. In cases like these, less doesn’t always mean more and almost any young stud worth his weight in free love would hesitate at the thought of tying himself down to a serious relationship. To him, the very thought of bedding the same girl for the rest of his life is enough to give him cold feet and a sudden case of shrinking balls.

5. MONEY, MONEY, MONEY
The longer a man stays in a relationship, the more money he’s likely to spend (unless he finds himself a sugar mummy!). Even if a committed couple goes Dutch, it’s inevitable that the guy is bound to spend more money that he ordinarily would on silly unnecessary things like romantic dinner dates, extravagant Valentine’s Day gifts, and (gasp) maybe even an engagement ring. It won’t be long before kids start popping out of nowhere and everybody knows that these little bundles of joy will suck your bank account dry faster than you can change diapers. Money is power and power is something most men with a backbone love having. The more money he spends on a woman and the less he saves for himself just makes it all the less likely he’ll ever be able to afford his dream sports car or that condo by the beach. And we all know that a man who has no hopes of owning either of these things isn’t worth his weight in gold, literally

WHAT WOMEN WANT:

Fiona, 23, ‘unappreciated talent’

”Men are afraid of being labelled as losers by his guy friends. Commitment for a guy usually means making a lot of sacrifices he isn’t necessarily willing to make and devoting a lot of time to one girl. In most lasting relationships, women are usually the ones who wear the pants and that’s a lot of ego to swallow for any guy. What most women want is full-time commitment and unconditional compromise. Money is also sometimes more important than good sex.”

Jeerawan, 29, journalist
”The Peter Pan Syndrome can be found in many men these days. He dotes on himself and is afraid to make any kind of commitment to a girl. He wants to retain his sense of youth and the idea of settling down scares him. All women want from a man is never-ending affection, 24/7 undivided attention and a little extra spending power – is that really too much to ask?”

WHAT MEN WANT:

Peter, 19, ‘swinging sexy single’

”Getting tied down to just one girl is no different from being a canary in a cage. No matter how you try to be a swinger on your little perch, you will never feel a true sense of freedom. Why be a tiny bird when you can be an eagle, soaring in the skies for the next prey? What men want most of all is to relish in their sexual conquests and putting their eggs into as many baskets as possible. That’s why I’m a regular basket case!”

Freddie, 19, National Servicemen
”Men like possessions they can cash-and-carry, no frills, no instalments, just something they can instantly enjoy before moving on to the next big thing. Women are like coffee machines – they aren’t always necessary, they cost a lot, and reading their instruction manual is usually more of a chore than anything else. What men want is something instant like a simple 3-in-1 coffee mix, something to keep him up all night and doesn’t take a long time to prepare”

Last edited:
You know something, if you ask my bandmates, I think they'll tell you I give the band 24/7 attention. Aww, that means no relationship for me.

well its up to how individuals choose their path in life and make important decisions in life.. well we cant blame anyone but ourself for the major or minor setbacks we faced.. well,dont die and rot.. move on and live on with a much more refreshed mindset capped on what they have learned from their past mistakes.. well i have learnt mine and move on.. and now i'm happy with my life,my family,my gf,my band and my friends.. just learn how to give time equally to all.. cheerios..

after a man commits then its another thing to get him to stay commited bwahahaha..........ahhh but nowadays girls are like too lah i'm sure

equality ist goot innit????

haha.. girls are unpredictable at times due to pms.. well,thats understood.. we can always learn to talk and persuade our partners of life to equally have times for everything without failing to please anyone..

These aren't entirely my points of view. Simply writing as a writer, so 'some' generalizations need to be made for the story to flow more :) Just wanted to hear your individual opinions on commitment from both guys and girls on SOFT for the fun of it :)

Personally, I'm committed myself to a long-distance exclusive relationship so I have no actual gripes with commitment ;)

Last edited:
personally, i believe in fate(like all muslims are supposed to). i believe that i will meet that certain someone. but getting together is one thing, staying together is another. teenagers(generally) nowadays have the misconception of love. the meaning of love is lost. now love seems to mean - wow she is beautiful...i want her..i need her...i'll die without her...but what the hey is her name? i believe this is the sole reason for the problem we have.

as i observed, people nowadays have so many ex-girl/boyfriends. if that isnt enough, it seems that they are proud of that! they go..."i have 18 ex...ONLY". i'll just chuckle myself. i always go "i have 2 ex and i've been 3 years single" and they go "WTF! not boring meh!" haha. no comments.

certain experience from a certain someone who i feel reluctant to address as my friend:
came to me(in msn) crying, crying. just broke up, feel like want to die, hate all men(then talk to me for what right), hate relationships, not going into relationship FOR LONG. thing is..her FOR LONG is ONE WEEK.

i think that each of us should bring on and maintain the best man/woman we can be for our future wife/husband. I just got married this Jan, and what I've learned is that instead of meeting expectations of your other-half / or demanding from your other-half to "change" , we should just appreciate either the way they are, or even the fact that they're trying to Not-be-their-usual-imperfect-selves in order to make you love them more. I'm glad I've tried my best changing to be a "best-man-i-can-get-so-far (copyright:gillette)" before I met my wife. because now that was just the beginning of another phase.. from boy > guy > man > husband > father.

to the contented ones : yes good on you. you are happy with the way they are. human imperfection is perfection.

to the greedy ones : wake up and look at the mirror, if you're some george clooney(male) or some good looker, and you expect your man/woman to be on par with your level. then why the hell are you with him/her in the first place. just dump and go for the best, whom you think is good enough for you. ....

and when you find that person, the irony is that you're NOT good enough for HIM/HER!heh.

and what I've learned so far about commitment is, indeed, you now have not 1 family (your relatives) but 2, your inlaws. etc . all your time/freedom spent playing with your friends and yourself (ahem) will be jeopardized. but hey, look at it this way, if your friends are not understanding enough that you're not "bro" enough to hang out with them, they'll learn the hard way when THEY get married. or even worse if you think they're your friends now, till they get married they'll dump you aside and tell you they don't have time for you pls understand goodbye.

so live your lives happy, to each own individual opinion. some of you are scared of commitment. some are already in one and scared shitless. but it's what life/living is about anyway. the REAL singaporean man is the one with the capability to balance his priorities in life : freedom,health,love,family,home,passion (music),career and financial stability. and despite all of these, still maintaining sanity. if any of you laojiao softies are at this stage. you're truly my role model.

just came across my mind, if soft forum had an ad , the slogan would be "be a better person, be a SOFTie."

90¢ worth

I think it's important to be content but not try too hard to seek contentment. Sometimes people get attached for the sake of needing 'someone to be there for them'. It's important to be able to stand on your own feet first before being able to give yourself fully to a relationship built on honesty, trust and love. Same goes for the other party.

I think it's important to be content but not try too hard to seek contentment. Sometimes people get attached for the sake of needing 'someone to be there for them'. It's important to be able to stand on your own feet first before being able to give yourself fully to a relationship built on honesty, trust and love. Same goes for the other party.

I coudn't agree more.

Love and marriage is a DECISION not something that comes out of nowhere no matter how nice those talented linguistic people with a feather/brush/pen/keyboard/stylus like to portray.

Fidelity is another commitment and decision. I know of a friend who listened to his smaller hairy brain during his heydays of being Mr Rico Suave is now a sad lonely twat that is nothing but hot air. Probably a little bit colder now.

The World is made up of many Types of Man & Woman. Of course, ethically one should have only (1-Partner) for the rest of their life as Marriage is a Blessing.

There are some Man that not only thinks but act as above, so are there many Woman who thinks and act likewise.

However, there are also many who seeks something more – after their marriage (not uncommon these days). I dunno, maybe they want something called - “Excitement” or “Interesting” “Whatever lah” or is it the nature of mankind…………..that people like to taste something new out of curiosity eg like food, clothing, toys etc etc.

The facts remain – this is more towards Male…..

Reason: - Man are more Physical and Woman are more Emotional - - - This bear truth, so many male sure knows how to win the emotional part of a Woman . Winning emotional part of a Woman help gets what the Man wants Physically…..so true isn’t it. So to a man (sex doesn't means love lah), it could be just satisfying his own Physical needs that's all.

I love how this discussion is going. A lot of varied opinions but all valid in their own ways :)

As Steven Tyler of Aerosmith sang in 'Shut Up And Dance'
For some guys...
'Sex is like a gun,
You aim, you shoot, you run!'

'Sex is like a gun,
You aim, you shoot, you run!'

So true...........a good quote. (If he aim he shoot and he managed to run) - good for him - No Trouble if he is married and Vice Versa.

So I too believed - If there is an Entry Strategy, more importantly there must be a Good Exit Strategy, if this is the objective.....Hahahahaha !

trend is that now girls are also finding it hard to commit.

especially when guys are going through army and even 5 year relationships can crumble.

I think when you're nearing 30, both men and women generally will start to get desperate and want to settle down.

commitment sucks

I don't think it applies to all guys though

For me I can't wait to get married and start a family. But of course not too early considering the financial and marital difficulties we may face

Back