which guitar?

I wonder who needs a chill pill.

Tell me... How useful is this?

Nah, mahagony and alder.
No comparision. Different animals man.

An open forum works only when posters take responsibilities for their posts.

What does one have to prove to post one liners like that? And its not the first time he's doing that.

Reflect before clicking on the submit button.

If you know you're assuming then say so. Don't have to make it sound like you know.

Someone pass me my medication. :lol:

Sorry, edder, I didn't mean to offend you. I just have a weird and whacky sense of humour, that's all.

Regarding "learning the differences", it's based on personal experience. Just like what ShredCow said. I don't believe in reading and memorising articles on tonewoods, contrary to what "brundisium" believes. Never did it. There are too many disagreements in online articles, so their reliability is limited. The woods' tonal description from different sites confuses me too... :?

It's unfair to compare Strats made of alder,ash and mahogany. Just try them and see if one of them is to your liking, regardless of what others may think. :)

Cheers

ya boy i think edder is cool, emotions gets interpreted wrongly often in text form... i think if u r a pessimistic one, u'd interpret everything negatively... 8)

I share your sentiments dude... though probably not as strong.

Thing is... what you want is the ideal situation... and its not going to happen here, as you can see, from the time you first posted abt this issue till now, nothing's changed. However, I'm sure those whom you replied to, got the idea square in the face.

What i'm getting at is this... there's no point getting sarcastic about it. Just throw the truth out plain and simple, with a touch of tact is possible. You're running out of patience already but the fact remains that for every un-informed member you chide for inaccuracy, they would prob learn their lesson and do more research. Ppl do get educated... problem is, there's a lot of ppl here in this forums and more new ones coming in everyday...

I'm not getting at you or something.. I just want you to chill. The person you direct your sarcasm would prob hold up and get stubborn.

Offend me? Nah... I have a pretty high tolerance. Don't sweat on it bro. :lol:

Everyone has got their own opinions and so do I.
Everyone is RIGHT in their own ways and so am I.

To comment on something like the SOUND OF WOOD(tm) or anything else involving sound/feel wotever, you need to have hands on. You need to play the guitar for an extensive period of time. You need to know specifics.

Experience like this does not comes from reading Warmoth.com or any other websites.

NO one piece of wood can give you ONE SPECIFIC sound. eg. Mahogany - WARM (what is YOUR definition of WARM?) An instrument is a combination of many things. NOT just the wood.

Now my beef is....

How come you guys are experts in everything when you're still in your O's?

I'm just a jealous old man cos kids are smarter than me. Go away. Don't bother about me. Ignore me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jumbofret said:
Sorry, edder, I didn't mean to offend you. I just have a weird and whacky sense of humour, that's all.

Oh I'm an old horse. I'll go on forever. :lol:

Ideal situation? Nothing is ever ideal.

And for those who can't take my comments? I can't really take yours too. Play fair. And thats fair. Tit for tat. You post something stupid, I'll rebutt. 1-1.

After all... its an open forum. Lets grow and lets care and share my brothers.... 8)

ShredCow said:
I share your sentiments dude... though probably not as strong..

Btw edder... or anyone... anybody knows if I were to cut a deep groove into an electric guitar around the pups... much like an acoustic... but not hollowing out the electric. How much of tone difference will I be expecting?

The Caparison Apple Horn has this groove... said to improve resonance or something.

wangdexian said:
nak said:
i bet the AT will melt any fender strat out there. i mean, even one of the king of tones was surprised when he touched his own guitar :lol:
Nah, mahagony and alder.

Sorry, edder, but what's your problem with wangdexian's post? I agree with it to a large extent, because nak's post was somewhat insinuating that the mahogany-bodied Strat is better than the Fender Strats (made of alder or ash). And that twit (it's payback time! Remember the PRS thread? :twisted: ) wangdexian was sorta saying that we cannot assume that the AT is the best, it depends on our liking, style etc... And he probably meant that we should try them and see for ourselves.

Now, different guitarists have different tones in mind.

Eric Clapton and SRV use Strats that are made of alder. Yet, their tones are coveted by many old-school guitarists.

Just because Andy Timmons is floored by his guitar's tone, doesn't mean that we should get ATs from Ibanez because they are better than alder/ash Strats and forget about alder/ash Strats.

PS I finished my Os a long time ago. Are you really an "old man"? What do you work as? From my experience here at SOFT, I doubt you are a man.

jumbofret said:
PS I finished my Os a long time ago. Are you really an "old man"? What do you work as? From my experience here at SOFT, I doubt you are a man.

JUMBO!!!! MAN!!! *sigh* Look at what you typed? Now thats.. I dunno what you mean lah, questioning edder's sexuality or what? I think its a very provoking statement.

Do edit your post.

Personal attack. Minus 50 points. :lol:

And thats where technical discussion and sober debates ends.

Have a nice day. :D

p/s: Isn't wangdexian a BASSIST in his O's?

jumbofret said:
wangdexian said:
nak said:
i bet the AT will melt any fender strat out there. i mean, even one of the king of tones was surprised when he touched his own guitar :lol:
Nah, mahagony and alder.

Sorry, edder, but what's your problem with wangdexian's post? I agree with it to a large extent, because nak's post was somewhat insinuating that the mahogany-bodied Strat is better than the Fender Strats (made of alder or ash). And that twit (it's payback time! Remember the PRS thread? :twisted: ) wangdexian was sorta saying that we cannot assume that the AT is the best, it depends on our liking, style etc... And he probably meant that we should try them and see for ourselves.

Now, different guitarists have different tones in mind.

Eric Clapton and SRV use Strats that are made of alder. Yet, their tones are coveted by many old-school guitarists.

Just because Andy Timmons is floored by his guitar's tone, doesn't mean that we should get ATs from Ibanez because they are better than alder/ash Strats and forget about alder/ash Strats.

Too late. Respect lost. Points deducted. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ShredCow said:
jumbofret said:

JUMBO!!!! MAN!!! *sigh* Look at what you typed? Now thats.. I dunno what you mean lah, questioning edder's sexuality or what? I think its a very provoking statement.

Do edit your post.

You know.. at the rate you go Jumbo.... you seem to be offening lots... and a forum is a community like it or not... The way I see it... you really have to try to tone down.

Anyway, Edder, how ah? My above post on cutting a groove in a guitar?

ShredCow said:
Btw edder... or anyone... anybody knows if I were to cut a deep groove into an electric guitar around the pups... much like an acoustic... but not hollowing out the electric. How much of tone difference will I be expecting?

The Caparison Apple Horn has this groove... said to improve resonance or something.

You seek to improve your guitar's resonance desperately!! :D
The Apple Horn has the thin FD finish as well as the Apple Horn engraving.

You might want to consult Malcolm regarding this... I bet the logo engraving has got something to do with the projection... Kinda like the concept of Tokai's Sound Stream.

man, if i cut anything into my S series, i will have a hole THRU my baby. :)

I just want to get a confirmation on the groove... perhaps for a custom next time.

btw, talking abt improving my tone... i'm seriously considering stripping hte paint off my S520. I love my tone right now but i feel its not woody enough.

ShredCow said:
You know.. at the rate you go Jumbo.... you seem to be offening lots... and a forum is a community like it or not... The way I see it... you really have to try to tone down.

Anyway, Edder, how ah? My above post on cutting a groove in a guitar?

Nah... I think he meant it as a joke. I'm ok with personal attacks. Call me names, call me stuff, I don't care. My bank has got enough cash and that makes me happy. :wink:

Anyway back to your question... I DON'T KNOW and I won't even pretend to know. :wink:

No, I am not questioning his sexuality, but rather his age. I know that he is a guy from linguistics pattern, but I wonder if he is a boy or a man. He claimed to be an old man, yes? Is it a personal attack to question his age?

Yes, I know wangdexian is a bassist taking Os this year. Met him at the last SOFT meeting.

Well, edder did say:
"Now my beef is....

I'm just a jealous old man cos kids are smarter than me. Go away. Don't bother about me. Ignore me."

ahhh jumbo, now you're twisting and turning.

From my experience here at SOFT, I doubt you are a man.

jumbo dearest, tell me if I were to say that to you, what would you think I'll mean?

:lol:

I'm not that old lah... but compared to kids taking their O's.... ok... nuff said.

jumbofret said:
No, I am not questioning his sexuality, but rather his age. I know that he is a guy from linguistics pattern, but I wonder if he is a boy or a man. He claimed to be an old man, yes? Is it a personal attack to question his age?

Yes, I know wangdexian is a bassist taking Os this year. Met him at the last SOFT meeting.

Well, edder did say:
"Now my beef is....

I'm just a jealous old man cos kids are smarter than me. Go away. Don't bother about me. Ignore me."

Back