What does singapore music need?

3notesAbar said:
With regards to quality of local music, i think recording quality plays a huge part dont you think? Aside from musicians being upgraded, i think sound engineers, producers etc etc have to move up as well.

Yup, you're right... engineers and producers should move a step up along side with the musicians. :) not to worry on that cause i think most of the engineers and producer in singapore would give themself a hard kick in the ass if they think they're damn good and don't wanna move up cause that would only means everyone would overtake their position at the industry. :) i'm always learning on every recording session i do cause i do think is never the same things to records from bands to bands... :) to have a good product, communication is important so that everyone in the set know what to expect.

DoubleBlade said:
3notes : I'm just curious , is this the band that Jachin had in mind all along? Cause as far as I know , in Jan-Feb this year he was looking for band members to form a band....

Sorry i missed your post there. Yeah i guess this band is pretty much it for him. but i bet he didnt intend it to be the 6-piece lineup it is now!

ephyra said:
yay! thanx guys ... gonna record our next songs there hopefully ... oooh forgot to comment ... great show 3 notes ... awesome performance ... woah ur bass solos are mean Twisted Evil ... one of the best local bass players i've seen so far ... hope u guys release ur album soon ... i will be one of the first to buy !! rock on Cool

Thanks man. You came to our Phunk gig?

We need quotas on foreign bands so that local bands can have more opportunities in the local club circuit. It's WAY overdue.... 8)

I agree with James, music cannot be forced.

If you force music, what you get is another Singapore Idol, or those type of shows which, in a way, yeah, does let people showcase their talent, but the main aim is to build up a hype and stuff like that.

You cannot force a one hour segment on the radio, because if people doesn't like that, they will just simply tune in to another radio!

Why do labels want to support already groomed talents instead of grooming home-made ones? Because, that's where the market is! That's where they can rake the big bucks which enable them to operate!

It's a long way to the top. In everything. It may take another what, ten, twenty years before the local scene is really booming? and after that, what?

You look at the music scenes all around the world, how they were actually created, and nurtured. Small bands, playing small gigs, getting more and more support, till they have a big following in the indie industry, then you get signed. That's the indie to major label transition. You think big bands always have it easy? No way!

There are, however, avenues which have been made for the local scenes to grow, eg. heart rock singapore, regular gigs, and even baybeats.

Yes, one may say, limit foreign bands, let the local ones thrive. Sure, do that, and you may stand to lose out on the exposure of what others in their countries are doing, are achieving. Because, after all, in this area, Singapore is NOT a benchmark maker, but rather a benchmark aimer. In this area, Singapore is still a baby, a third-world status. It's growing allright, but the growth is not yet as much as those in other countries.

One way is, yeah, sacrifice, sacrifice and sacrifice. Are you willing to support good local bands by buying their CDs, which may be self-released, self-edited, self-mixed? are you willing to help them grow by supporting them through gigs or even mini-concerts? Are you willing to help them reduce their recording costs, jamming costs and all those by supporting them?

That's how they can grow, otherwise, lots of bands will be 'nobodies' who may just have been THE bands that will propel the music scene here forward, the ones who can make it all better.

And what does the local scene need? Simple. They need local support, and that translates to YOU.

reyar said:
Threads like this pop out every few months! :lol: I have to agree with rottenramone..
i feel 'nearly everyone' will benefit from reading this post by reyar. i salute u and ur band.

ronnie did mention abt his trip with My Precious to HK and Japan. and Plainsunset did a mini tour in New Zealand sometime back too.

Tribalcast said:
http://202.52.73.76:8000/ - Lioncity DIY Radio Station (Just add this url to your media player)

89.7's Ria Rock Live - Every Friday (Live Broadcast on 5pm) & Every Sunday (Repeat Telecast on 9pm)

I hope these two will help a little for those who know so little about local music. Cause these radio stations do expose some local bands music. Check it out.
just curious, is the 89.7 slot the one hosted by Bo from Urban Karma? when the slot was at a different time a long time ago, he played some 'unmainstream' stuff on air. salute to the guy too!

Its interesting that an idea to get our musicians and their music a broadcast voice or channel to be heard is met with such opposition or indifference...and while I appreciate some of the moral values behind freedom of speech and equal opportunity...I for one would like to see Singapore with a thriving music INDUSTRY and not just the scene that it always seems to be...

Context may be different but the idea is the same and the end benefits are what is being sought after...

http://workers.labor.net.au/17/news7_radio.html

Local Music on Radio - Make it the Law!

The MEAA has called for local music content levels on commercial radio to be set by law, claiming self-regulation has failed.

In a discussion paper prepared for the Federation of Australian Radio Broadcasters (FARB), the Alliance argues that commercial radio stations have not delivered on local content levels since formal regulation was lifted in 1992.
"Since 1992 there have been only marginal increases in Australian music content within some commercial broadcasting formats and real declines in others since self-regulation has been introduced," the submission says.

"Self regulation has not achieved the flexibility and fairness promised," the submission says.

The review follows the federal government's recent decision to allow parallel importations, a move that has flooded the market with cheap imports and pirated recordings.

MEAA argues that in this environment support from the local radio broadcasters is more important than ever in an industry that employs an estimated 10,000 people.

"Creative and commercial success on both a national and international basis is impossible without the assistance of commercial broadcasters. Indeed without widespread airplay it is unlikely that an Australian artist will chart let alone have a national hit.

"And unless there is guaranteed airplay there is little, if any, incentive for major record companies to record and promote Australian artists"

For more details content Megan Elliott at melliott@meaa.aust.com
[/b]

http://www.ancient-future.com/radioquotas.html

Venezuelan Radio Quotas
A Great Idea for Localities Everywhere

by Matthew Montfort

7/23/2005

The Venezuelan National Assembly recently passed a law requiring that no less than 50 percent of all music played on the nation's radio stations be Venezuelan. Of that, half must be classified as "traditional."

I coined the term "world fusion music" and firmly believe in the benefits of cross-cultural collaboration. I believe in freedom of speech and a free media. But I firmly support this law. It will help keep the seed material of Venezuelan music alive, and it will help support local artists.

A July 19, 2005, article in the San Francisco Chronicle reports:

Backers say the harps and bandolas that now resound through this country of 25 million are playing the overture to a musical revolution. "We've always had traditional Venezuelan records in stock, but before a few months ago we never sold any -- not one," said Miguel Angel Guada, manager of the Disco Center Superstore in one of the capital's largest malls. "It was all Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys and that sort of thing. But now I'd say one-third of our business comes from Venezuelan artists, which is absolutely incredible." The new law can make listening to the radio an adventure in dizzying contrasts. One minute a disc jockey might spin Puerto Rico's Daddy Yankee rapping about "Biggie and Pac," and the next minute it's flutes and fiddles from the Andean highlands. Some Venezuelan rock and pop artists have begun to record cover versions of traditional songs to take advantage of the mandates. Almost all local artists, regardless of age or genre, are reaping the rewards. (The original article on Venezuelan music quotas can be found on SFGate.com):.

Even though it would make it harder for me to get my own music played all over the world (and most of my airplay income definitely comes from outside the USA where there are still pockets of respect for musicianship left), I think every country should have a similar law to preserve traditions and support local musicians. While the US music and media industry presents its opposition to such laws in free speech/free media/free trade terms, the reason they are against the Venezuelan law is it restricts their power and makes it harder for them to monopolize music sales. But the Venezuelan law doesn't prevent any type of music from being played on the radio, it just gives equal time to local music.

The implementation of a similar law is especially important in the USA, where radio stations owned by big media companies have very narrow play lists that keep out the most creative musicians and don't allow for local programming. For the United States, I would suggest a very modest law requiring that, in exchange for the use of the public airwaves, all radio stations be required to fill at least 10% of their music programming with music made in the local region, and fill an additional 10% with music performed by musicians who are graduates of music schools or are acknowledged masters of specific musical traditions. Imagine the change if just 10% of the music played on the radio was made by artists well trained in music!

This would insure that the best musicians in the world would get at least some air time (virtuoso level musicians get almost no airplay on US commercial stations now) and that local musicians would finally have a small voice locally. This small change would bring huge benefits. For the first time, most people would be exposed to a few recordings by creative well-trained musicians, a few examples of various musical traditions, and get to know a few of their local musicians. This could eventually lead to a situation where people are as proud of their local musicians as they are of their local sports teams.

If that happens, the music industry would grow exponentially and people would get much better music. This would help greatly with the general state of culture in the USA, which the right wing has been complaining about so loudly. Ironically for the right wing, the way to better culture in the USA is not to merge church and state while giving more power to corporations to exploit the marketplace, but rather to require that public airwaves serve all the public by presenting diverse points of view and cultural experiences. The free market is excellent at getting individuals what they desire and are willing to pay for, but not very good at getting society what it needs.

Getting such a law passed in the USA in the current political climate is a tall order. The music and broadcast industries would lobby against it even though it would ultimately be in their best interests, and there would be constitutional concerns based on the flimsy but often winning legal argument that money is a form of free speech. But these are not reasons to give up. If the public demands diverse local programming, broadcasters will eventually make some modest changes even in the absence of a law forcing them to do so.
[/quote]

Back