What does singapore music need?

Can I say that we stop talking and start attending gigs, start practising, start to get our acts together and get our stuff exposed, whether on your own blog/soft website/other media?

There will be no end to talking about it. sigh.

my view for local bands

the english audience here is smaller, smaller even for bands probably, look at those who have gone internationally famous were are solo chinese artists..

most bands here perform english..

singaporeans hav to study and cannot put 100% during teen years.

so wat if u have an hour every week on radio, if singaporeans don't like the genre we cant do anything..

also bands, who have made it big in Asia sing mostly their mother tongue or native language.( chinese , jap ) .

Many Singaporeans are already affected by globalization and influence of western countries and their. Hence the rise of english bands.

Its hard for sg to find a identity nowdays...

Maybe we should return back to our roots? If not how do we identify ourselves on the international scene? We wouldnt want people to know singaporeans' genre is just a copy of other countries' music?

Re: ..

rottenramone said:
Can I say that we stop talking and start attending gigs, start practising, start to get our acts together and get our stuff exposed, whether on your own blog/soft website/other media?

+ 1093019032921381728931283781723971827398721983769837508172832398721983719872139872138172318265481682368612³/

personally i dont care. Scene or no scene, people who love music will continue to play music.

if you want a scene so that there are higher chances of playing music professionally, then i say practise, practise and more practise, and then start touring overseas.

my .02cents

i wouldnt want my band to go on television, just dont feel right.

a person's looks is overtaking everything else that a recording company is looking for. because recording companies want profit, they wanna earn from those young girls.

see, even the ou de yang has to be in animation rather than show his true face.

just my opinion =) peace.

Thanks Anthony. We're still writing songs as we go along. Trying to keep the songs relevant to real-world happenings that are current. We just finished an awesome gig, and will be recording at Snakeweed soon. Radio preview on 10th Dec 2005.

Re: ..

3notesAbar said:
rottenramone said:

+ 109301903292138172893128 378172397182739872198376983750 81728323987219837198721398721 38172318265481682368612³/

Well that's the most cliche form of online expression! :lol:

You guys are in denial, oh well.

I attended an Ugly in the Morning gig last year. It was held at the Youth Park. We were so impressed with their live performance, my bro and I shared money to buy their CD. I will just say that their live performance kicked more ass than their album.

sorry to change and hijack this topic :oops: but ya can anyone tell me where snakeweed studios located ... do they have a website ?? ... 3 notes?? :roll:

yay! thanx guys ... gonna record our next songs there hopefully ... oooh forgot to comment ... great show 3 notes ... awesome performance ... woah ur bass solos are mean :twisted: ... one of the best local bass players i've seen so far ... hope u guys release ur album soon ... i will be one of the first to buy !! rock on 8)

3notes : I'm just curious , is this the band that Jachin had in mind all along? Cause as far as I know , in Jan-Feb this year he was looking for band members to form a band....

hmmm

Singapore music scene:

Let me see........

The music is great, people are multi-talented but mostly i seen ppl are more focus on culture then music itself.Let alone bashing one another genre.....For instance A(loves metal) was insulted by B(loves R&B,Hip Hop) for the amount of noise metal music makes....And A being the smart 1 insluted B by saying hip hop/R&B promotes sex..........So this things go on and on as a cycle....It wont stop there....Don make me start on Skinhead.....i see people who more into culture and bashing each other culture is like Secret Society.....
Another theory...The dressing,lifestyle.....You into metal or punk or skinhead etc music and you wear gothic,boots,black outfit etc....everyday8O ....come on.....don tell me that you don get sick of it......Some even laugh out at people who into the genre but listen to other genre or not wearing the proper "dress code" by labelling them "Poser" and wannabe.....is it wrong to love other type of song?.......are there rules and regulation in some certain genre?.......but too bad is not only in Singapore.....I frequently goes to roadrunner blabbermouth.net and read the latest news abt music......and the comment are mostly like 35% positive 65% insults....insult are pointed out to the band who are more mainstream,scandinavian scene or POP:?: :?: :?:
We are Asian......let makes our music lifestyle different from the west.....

Threads like this pop out every few months! :lol: I have to agree with rottenramone.

I believe if you take your band serious enough to keep writing, playing and do a record with good sound quality, you'll be able to find your own audience :) no matter if you're metal/grind/punk/emo or pop.

I play in a smallish punk band. We put together a sum money (frm yr end bonuses and NS allowances) to record a full length at Snakeweed. We then pressed a thousand copies and send a bunch to show organisers. We clinched a string of shows. We also sent our CDs to foreign labels and got our CDs distributed in Malaysia and a separate release in LA.

In May this yr, we booked a handful of show dates in Malaysia and rented a van. Took leave from work and drove up North to play shows in JB, Ipoh & Penang. We sold shirts and CDs from our van outside the venues we played and made many new friends. CD/merch sales would mean petrol+food money to the next destination. We were shocked that some kids in Ipoh actually know the lyrics to our song when not many heard of us in SG! All thanks to internet and the Malaysian labels we sent our CDs to!

Altho most of the shows we play are small, we aren't complaining that the scene's not giving us enough exposure or the scene's too narrow minded cos I feel we aren't doing enough compared to indie bands in US/Europe.

I didn't learn how to manage a band from threads like these, I got the tips from google/yahoo searches and also, bands like My Precious who organised their own tours to Japan, Hk & Australia.

If you actually tried setting aside a portion of your salary/allowance for:
1. decent gear
2. studio time to record and practice
3. organising shows+tours
4. printing merchandise
5. maintaining a website
6. sending out press kits to show organisers/zines/reviewers

and still, no one bother listening to your band, thats when you have a valid reason to complain.

http://202.52.73.76:8000/ - Lioncity DIY Radio Station (Just add this url to your media player)

89.7's Ria Rock Live - Every Friday (Live Broadcast on 5pm) & Every Sunday (Repeat Telecast on 9pm)

I hope these two will help a little for those who know so little about local music. Cause these radio stations do expose some local bands music. Check it out.

Back