what do u play in stores?

omg vaiyen.. lol

Anyone ever grab a fender strat, tell the uncle you're gonna do a spit polish for him? Lets see his reaction...

Maybe he decided to concentrate on his Mohegan Records thingy liao.. Ppl like him , Helmie(Rastafari) and Wan (Borders =sideline; Straits Records) all have side project like Independent labels and stuff.. i think their day job is to sustain such passion.. 8) Wan has since left Borders to concentrate full time on Straits Records and so had Helmie.. maybe it's time for Adam too lor... All of them are some figures from the local underground scene though..

after i check the neck i usually play a random mix of stuff to see how comfy the neck profile is. on acoustics i tend to favor dave matthews stuff, and on electrics it'll be a mix of stuff like queen's bohemian rhapsody and as i lay dying's 94 hours. then a bit of palm muting so you have an idea of how your hand feels against the bridge when you palm mute (cause you know how it always feels different depending on the type of bridge you're working with? my faves are tonepros fixed bridges so far, but i can deal with tele barrel bridge saddles. my least favourite are floyds, but then i'm not much of a trem person anyway) 8O

Keyboards - bang on the lowest and highest registers to check on the tone and realism/ clarity of sound. Then play light and heavy notes to check on response. Play a little scale and chromatic. Check on the various tones in the bank. Check the ports to see where they are located and how many there are. Attempt to lift it a bit (when no one is looking) to check the weight. Check the wheels (pitch and mod) for their responses. Then if the store owner is still staring at me, I play Richard Addinsell's Warsaw Concerto - that usually makes him keep quiet. It also tests the heavy respones of the keyboard (as is Grieg's Piano Concerto No 1). May play something like Claire de Lune to assess light touch.

Guitar - no expert, but check the tone by strumming a little and plucking a few chords. Check for buzzing at the higher frets. Check the harmonics. Check the wood. Check the resonance of the body. Check fretboard and bridge. Then if the store owner gives me that "buy or not" look, I play Cavatina from Deer Hunter. That usually makes him walk away.

Hmmm...just curious, does anyone request certain/specific stomp pedals/effects/amps to test the guitars with? Perhaps if given the chance to test a potential guitar I wanna buy in the future, I might bring down my whole pedalboard to test-drive it...sounds overkill? I know that most people think it'd be best to test with a clean tone for the most accurate depiction of a guitar's tone...I kinda agree with that, but at the same time, we wanna hear how they sound with the pedals with use, right?

Elias said:
I might bring down my whole pedalboard to test-drive it...sounds overkill?
hahaha, i wouldn't mind if i were managing the store! it would look like you were a really keen buyer, and wants to know how the guitar would sound with the whole works! but, i don't know how the other stores might feel. :D

Store wont think much lah. I think the people beside u will. Like imagine, u take out 10 pedals out one shot then lie it on the floor.
Hahah machiam giving free performance.

i think the idea of trying the amp with your own guitar and efx setup is pretty important. Though just a tad bit troublesome.

Newbie said:
Like imagine, u take out 10 pedals out one shot then lie it on the floor. Hahah machiam giving free performance.
hahhaaha, like pasar malam style... lol. reading this in the office, i think people around me think i siao, always laughing aloud by myself.. 8O

duskalways said:
Newbie said:
Like imagine, u take out 10 pedals out one shot then lie it on the floor. Hahah machiam giving free performance.
hahhaaha, like pasar malam style... lol. reading this in the office, i think people around me think i siao, always laughing aloud by myself.. 8O

Yah...wait later got kids/people thought you're a staff there and ask you how much those pedals cost and ask you to demo for them...Then you'll :axe: those fellas liao...*lol* Just like once I was in Swee Lee Bras Besah branch after work, this fella came up to me and asked 'ehh...what keyboard would you recommend my daughter ah?' :smt021

Hahahaha can understand. Lol. Aiya just bring and try lah who cares. Nobody will think so much one.

ALRIGHT... Finally can bring my 23 BOSS DS-1 pedals down, connect them in series and use my Daytona racer pedal for a Vox Wah.

BlackMoo said:
ALRIGHT... Finally can bring my 23 BOSS DS-1 pedals down, connect them in series and use my Daytona racer pedal for a Vox Wah.

Warn me not to go anywhere near sweelee when you're doing that. Hehe, i can't imagine the load of noise that'll be generated by something like that :?

Still, it's gonna be a sucka for noise man, the more pedals, the more the probability of noise generated. Lol, imagine 23 distortion units in series, god save my ears :lol:

Back