Review needed for Ibanez JEM Junior

Hmm

Currently, I'm using my RG27SP & its using a Lo TRS II bridge & I find that e tuning wld go off even after using it for a few songs plus e fine tuning is kinda hard to adjust. I wonder if e JEM Jr uses dat trem bridge too?

You could expect the same with the Jem Jr...UNLESS, you swap out the bridge for an OFR, the tuning stability is gonna suck. Doesn't sound nice but that's the truth :(

Brother, a normal JEM uses the top of the line Ibanez trems. Edge, Lo Pro Edge and now its the Edge Pro.

Note that to get the tone of Vai you don't necessarily need the Jem Jr. Vai's JEMs have Evos and are made of alder. The Jem Jr doesn't even have those and its made of basswood. Not a good way to start trying to sound like Mr Vai.

Your RG27SP is a good axe, neck thru body right? Pity the the TRS, go and upgrade. You can get what I got, the Gotoh Floyd Rose, which is ard $220 excluding shipping (abt $30-$40) and you'll notice a great improvement right away. My friend did that, replacing his Lo Trs with the Gotoh and his sustain, tuning stability and overall trem feel has improved significantly.

Go upgrade your axe. Its worth it.

Lucky thing I dunno how to whammy... if not no $money$... haha...jkjk...

But I think ur Rg when upgraded can be better than JEM jr... no point buying it because of 3 letters (JEM)... seriously consider upgrading, or u can go down the shop and carry out a blind test... if u really into JEM, save up and get a better one...

Good luck from curing of G.A.S... haha... cheers

imo not really worth getting the JEM-jr , the resemblence to the real JEMs is purely cosmatic... got to play one last sunday, Didnt like it at all, the neck felt cheap, pickups are "okay" only and it doesnt stay in tune well at all . Imo getting a RG is a better alternative.

omg...lol didnt know my jem jr is such a useless piece of crap...i didnt know what to buy when i got it... :cry:

Hmm

ShredCow: oic.. my guit is not neck-thru, jus a bolt-on.. where can I purchase this Gotoh floyd rose bridge that u mention abt?

tany: I don't mind buying it over from you. kekeke.

tany said:
omg...lol didnt know my jem jr is such a useless piece of crap...i didnt know what to buy when i got it... :cry:

Dude, don't think of it that way man. If you're willing you could always spend some cash to upgrade it, and make it perform better :)

Just like cars, pieces of crap guitars can be overhauled and modified into hot rodded instruments of envy :twisted:

dude, Jem Jnr are usually made in korea. But that don't make the guitar any lousier. Similarly, basswoods JEM do sound like vai. I used my JEM777VBK for more than 10 years and still sweet.

In fact, don't have to sound like vai. Just play like him. Forget about what people tell you if this is good or this is bad. too many suggestions, might as well spend thousands of dollars getting those 'recommended' ones.

Trust me, purchase base on your feel and comfort on that guitar at your current level. So what if it breaks on you, through that you become a more experienced player and user.

Don't just listen to quotes. Give steve vai a samick guitar, he can still put on a good show.

superak said:
Trust me, purchase base on your feel and comfort on that guitar at your current level. So what if it breaks on you, through that you become a more experienced player and user.

Don't just listen to quotes. Give steve vai a samick guitar, he can still put on a good show.

Man, thats true... I totally agree with you... if you play well, a crap guitar in your hands will shine.

But don't you think its kind of funky, to spend the cash on a JEM Jr, when you could use it to get an axe that has at least better tuning stability? I mean, the ILT1 trem is worse than the TRS trem...

Hee

superak: I tried it & I like both e cosmetics as well as e sound, but maybe as what ShredCow suggest, I'll upgrade the pups & bridge. I guess that wld be e most feasible solution for me now :)

Thanks all for ur kind contribution to this thread :D

my brief take on the JEM Jr: if you've decided to invest in one, you're probably more into visual appeal than functionality. this guitar isn't endowned with the precise JEM appointments & the overall tone could have been better. there are countless RG models which will out-perform the JEM Jr.

help me

subby: yupsie I guess that's e cheapest JEM-lookalike I can get, but now I'm kinda waivering between a Jem Junior or an RG450DX.

I'm using an RG27SP now, but e Lo TRS II bridge is killin' me. I love e sound it produces with e V pickups that I upgraded, but I need something with a beta bridge & beta sustain, so any suggestion to go with those criterias in mind.

I'm quite ignorant when it comes to guitars, so that's why visual comes 1st when selecting a guit, then I'll test e sound. Jem Jr, if im not wrong, is also like an RG jus dat it got e handle thingy rite?

i personally like the touch of wood and stuff but i will definitely change the bridge and pups...i mean that was my second guitar so it sounds so much nicer than my first :lol:

What pup?

tany said:
i personally like the touch of wood and stuff but i will definitely change the bridge and pups...i mean that was my second guitar so it sounds so much nicer than my first :lol:

What pickups are yours fitted with? Ibanez INF?

Re: help me

neuro182 said:
subby: yupsie I guess that's e cheapest JEM-lookalike I can get, but now I'm kinda waivering between a Jem Junior or an RG450DX.

I'm using an RG27SP now, but e Lo TRS II bridge is killin' me. I love e sound it produces with e V pickups that I upgraded, but I need something with a beta bridge & beta sustain, so any suggestion to go with those criterias in mind.

I'm quite ignorant when it comes to guitars, so that's why visual comes 1st when selecting a guit, then I'll test e sound. Jem Jr, if im not wrong, is also like an RG jus dat it got e handle thingy rite?

there's a limited edition RG450 (MIJ) at the bras basah showroom (dark blue), it's an Asia only release. the best thing about it is that it has a mahogany body & the maple fretboard induces lots of neck clarity which you'll love if you solo in the neck. it definitely has a superb bridge- Edge Pro, for your whammy encounters.

the pickups remain to be Ibanez's own stock V/ S-series which aren't too repulsive in this guitar.

spending on the JEM Jr IMO is a misallocation of your dear funds, the guitar doesn't project a worthy purchase, it's an attempt to bait those who find the JEM concept appealing but wouldn't care much about what it's suppose to propel.

Back