New Ibanez Catalouge 2006 UPDATE!

Phil said:
True, but I don't know about the new Mick signature model's playability and such.
Come to think of it, it caters to collectors more than serious players. It would seem kinda odd to be using a Slipknot oriented guitar when you are performing it your band.

then all the signature model will be like that.

The Mick Thompson axe has quite a number of things going on that makes it rock IMO. The EX Edge bridge offers unparalleled stability. The fine tuners will really help when downtuning and playing with thick guages.

However.

Rick Harris has pointed out on his Ibanezrules site, that it costs like 1,700USD.

Now that is ridiculous.

Throw in the inlay, and its just... ugh.

a good signature IMO will cater to niche preferences for the endorser but at the same, not tampering with the overall asthetics. the JEM & JS models are among such guitars. perhaps this is the reason why the K7 models are hardly moving off the shelves...

Thats 1 thing, abt the asthetics.... The K7 inlay was bad.

Yeah, abt the FX Edge bridge too, when it first came out, ppl were calling it an overengineered fixed bridge... but well, when playing with low tunings and heavy guages, the FX Edge will boost suberb stability and fine tuning.

ShredCow said:
However.

Rick Harris has pointed out on his Ibanezrules site, that it costs like 1,700USD.

Now that is ridiculous.

Throw in the inlay, and its just... ugh.

Agreed, the price is absurd.
But hey, the inlay is nice alright. :D

subversion said:
a good signature IMO will cater to niche preferences for the endorser but at the same, not tampering with the overall asthetics. the JEM & JS models are among such guitars. perhaps this is the reason why the K7 models are hardly moving off the shelves...

the reason why the K7 models arent selling is the ridiculous inlay and the pricing. ibanez really shot themselves in the foot this time by repeating the same mistake.
both are good guitars but priced out of the price range that they're designed to appeal to (the younger crowd), and the inlay on both completely turns off anyone else.

anyway didnt mick's custom ibanez have black bevels/binding on the red body? it looked much better, ibanez should have included that on the model.

unsane said:
the reason why the K7 models arent selling is the ridiculous inlay and the pricing. ibanez really shot themselves in the foot this time by repeating the same mistake.
both are good guitars but priced out of the price range that they're designed to appeal to (the younger crowd), and the inlay on both completely turns off anyone else. .

yuh i agreed, it is way2 expensive....about the inlay, munky and head inlay is not even k7, but itsn't it the signature guitarist design,how they wanna look it not how other want it to be.....i mean i ask few of my friends about steve vai Jem inlay....and some find it doesnt appeal...so its all fall on ppl view of a guitar...but i don tink the design to appealing for younger crowd reason being to expensive :? for younger crowd to purchase it....but wat amazed me abt the guitar is the U-bar floyd rose...though ppl say is a normal floyd rose....

headwan said:
yuh i agreed, it is way2 expensive....about the inlay, munky and head inlay is not even k7, but itsn't it the signature guitarist design,how they wanna look it not how other want it to be.....i mean i ask few of my friends about steve vai Jem inlay....and some find it doesnt appeal...so its all fall on ppl view of a guitar...but i don tink the design to appealing for younger crowd reason being to expensive :? for younger crowd to purchase it....but wat amazed me abt the guitar is the U-bar floyd rose...though ppl say is a normal floyd rose....

1. It's not a Floyd-Rose, it's Ibanez's own Lo-Pro Edge unit

2. Nothing amazing- it's just a Lo-Pro with 2 whammy bar holes so the custom bar can be inserted.

in any case, the K7 is a wonderful player, very resonant- mahogany body + genuine Dimarzios. pity the inlay...

haha sub you looking for marty friedman signature too? i think the blue sz guitar that he is using is really cool though.. just look special.

APOLOGIES for reviving an old thread but i don't wanna start a new one.

just wanna share some confirmations with regards to Ibanez's 2006 offerings, forgive the lengthy entry...

Summary of new/ discontinued Ibanez models for 2006.

Prestige
RGT- No changes

S-series
• Discontinued: S2075
• New: S2170- basically a cosmetically enhanced 2075, now featuring a figured bubinga top (previously poplar)

SA
• Discontinued: SA2020
• New: SA2120, also a cosmetic enhancement, neck now features a bubinga reinforcement as oppossed to the previous walnut

NOTE: Despite being a Korean make, this model offers a hard case in the price package, do enquire this applicability.

SZ
• Discontinued: SZ2020
• New: SZ4020, features a neck-through design & new finish, natural flat

RG
• the RG3120 is still available for the Asian market despite being withdrawn in the US

• No new models introduced

• RG2620 offered in new finish- cubed black pewter

RGA- no changes

RG (Standard models)
• No changes

SZ
• No new models introduced

• the SZ320 is not offered in black/ gold anymore

• SZ520 now has a flamed maple top offering with new heartbeat inlay

IbanezSZ520FMTKS.jpg

Artist- 2 new models

• ARC- singlecut solid bodies, dual humbucking
ARC300DVS.jpg

• ARX- dualcut, dual humbucking
ARX300CRS.jpg

Artcore

• All models now feature medium frets (previously vintage frets)

• New Artcore Custom model AS103- dualcut, dual humbucking, semi-hollow unit
AS103NT.jpg

• AGS83B- singlecut, dual humbucking, featuring a thinner body depth. A very Les Paul vibe from this one.
AGS83BATF.jpg

SA
• Standard models now feature the SAT Pro bridge (previously exclusive to Prestige models)
54.jpg

• All humbucking models now feature Ibanez's True Duo bridge pickup except SA120 . This is a splitable humbucker with a stacked outer singlecoil. Guitars with this pickup feature a push-pull volume knob.
23_02.jpg

• Humbucker mounting ring is now the arched-sided, rounded corners of the Prestige make.

• New model SAS36- set neck, SSH pickup combination
SAS36FMDRS.jpg

• SA260 not offered in transparent gray any more

S-series
No new models

S520 offered in new finish: Dark violet flat. The metallic olive (green) version has been discontinued

Gio
• New- GRG150 (basically a GRG170 with pickguard)

• New- GRX20

• New- GRG121: if you fancy the fixed bridge RG321 but on a budget, this is the alternative
pic here: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/img/eg/m/GRG121_BKN_2B_01.jpg

• New- GRGM21 mini Gio guitar
GRGM21WH.jpg

• Revived- GAX70

• Discontinued: GAX30/ GAX75

• GSZ is now offered in basswood body instead of the previous mahogany

Signature series
No changes: Satriani/ JEM/ Paul Gilbert/ Mike Mushok

Andy Timmons- AT200 discontinued

Noodles
• Discontinued: NDM1, the guitar with the duct tape finish, as it was better known as (still available in US)

• New: NDM2, another Talman designed, singlecut
NDM2BK.jpg

Mick Thompson
• New for 2006, Slipknot guitarist gets his own signature model, featuring mahoggany body, fixed bridge & active humbuckers
MTM1BR.jpg

Jazz models
• No changes: Scofield/ Metheny

George Benson
• Discontinued: GB100

• New: GB15, basically a GB10 with neck pickup only
GB15TR.jpg

subversion said:
NOTE: Despite being a Korean make, this model offers a hard case in the price package, do enquire this.

+1000

This has been a point of contention in the US and its an impt point to note...

The upgrades to the SA series are MIND BLOWING! SAT Pro bridge on all?!

I dunno abt the True Duo humbucker... hehe... not many favourable comments abt it on Jemsite!

interesting to see the True Duo feature excluded from the Prestige SA2120. whatever it is, if it sounds good then it's a bonus, otherwise, it's a gimmick...

agree with you on the SA upgrades, it seems that Ibanez has finally paid some attention to these overlooked models, however our market is still deprived of the neck-thru std models- sad, eh?

The SA is fast becoming THE most versatile guitar for me... able to cover both vintage and modern territory, as well as almost any kind of genre. Does it surprise you that i WANT one? 8)

Latest posts

Back