Manchester United 2008-2009 Season Thread

BIG BLACKBEAR - haha!! see!! no one even remembers that Hargreaves is with Man Utd!! That's how non-existant he's become! We really ought to sell the injury-riddled dude & use the money to bid in higher amounts for Ribery!!

I've always been a Hargreaves fan but fact of the matter is, recently he's become susceptible to injuries. He travelled to USA late last year to seek medical advice from a renowned knee surgeon & underwent surgeries on both his knees. His condition is a recurring one. So, that's the problem.

Of course it'd be great to have him at OT but i'm just saying that if in the new season he's still picking up injuries easily, we ought to seriously start considering other options.

owen hargreaves is like louis saha, just much worst.

the 2 of them arent bad players at all. in fact very very good players. had hargreaves played against barcelona, i think it could have been different. he is one of the best ball winners out there imo.

i feel really sorry for him because i dont think he can do anything abt this at the moment.

hahah lovehurts, def leppard!!

DUDELOVE - Well, if Utd keep Hargreaves, I hope & pray very hard that he'll recover fast & soon enough & get back to playing regular football like he was born to do. It's a real pity to see his talent just being put on indefinite hold.

And in my opinion, Saha is doing better at Everton. Good for him! He was a nightmare at OT. For every game he played, he'd be injured for the next 6 games.

Btw, Def Leppard? You mean my "location"? Hee hee.

Last edited:
i've heard man utd has swooped santos's young player, da costa?

saw the report from soccernet.

oh yea, hargreaves injury is until when?..seems to be very long..i wanna see him in action with carrick,anderson

i've heard man utd has swooped santos's young player, da costa?

saw the report from soccernet.

oh yea, hargreaves injury is until when?..seems to be very long..i wanna see him in action with carrick,anderson

Yeah, according to sources, Hargreaves underwent an operation on his left knee in Jan 2009 which meant that he would miss the remainder of the 2008/2009 season. But I have no idea what has happened after that. My guess is that he's still injury-laden. :(

I still recall how delighted I was when we signed him from Bayern Munich in 2007.

Apparently we had been tracking Costa for the last 2 yrs. So many transfer speculations.

hargreaves will probably return midway through next season. there was an article on man utd's web saying he will not be ready by the time the new season starts.

Thanks for the update, Dudelove!

Ai ya. Feels like we've been waiting for the last 5 decades for Hargreaves to make a spectacular return.

He's starting to sound like Ronaldo (the original one, not crybaby Ronny). So injury-prone.

I also think Man Utd should start looking out for a replacement for Van der Sar. I just am not sure if Ben Foster is ready to assume the position of 1st choice goalkeeper and Kuszczak just doesn't cut it for me. But of course no one beats my friend, Massimo Taibi. :mrgreen:

I'd love to see Casillas succeed Edwin Van der Sar. But i think i can safely say, that ain't gonna happen anytime soon! :rolleyes:

OMG...Massimo Taibi, the Venetian Blind! I still can't forget the shot he let in through his legs from Le Tissier...when he was already on his knees to collect that bloody ball! Heh...

In any case, have faith in Hargreaves. I have a feeling he will come back stronger than ever. The surgeries he went through were done to make sure that his recurring injuries do not happen again. Remember what happened to Giggs? He was so prone to hamstring injuries, especially since he used to FLY down the left wing. He had to go through therapy after therapy, analysing his movements and even down to the way he drives and how he sits in the car. He changed his style of play so as not to aggravate it...had to come to terms that he's no longer the curly-haired 17 yr old that moved like the wind.

Hargreaves will return. Mark my words!

Pujangga - Yeah, I'd love to see Hargreaves come back all new & improved. I really like him as a player & thought he fitted the Man Utd mold well too. So yeah, *fingers crossed*

LOL! Yeah Taibi & his legs. He was always letting balls through his legs. There was an article a long time ago when he was still playing & some people suggested he wear a "sarong" to prevent balls from passing through! :mrgreen: He was a tragic disaster for Man Utd! And i don't know why but i didn't think too highly of Fabian Barthez either though there wasn't a doubt that he was a good keeper.

Sir Bobby Charlton: Ronaldo will regret Man Utd exit

"Manchester United director Sir Bobby Charlton thinks Cristiano Ronaldo will eventually rue his decision to quit the club for what he believes to be a "vulgar" fee.

Sir Bobby at a press conference insisted Ronaldo will look back on his time at Old Trafford as the best years of his career. The United great also placed his full faith in manager Sir Alex Ferguson as he looks to reshape his squad for a fourth consecutive Premier League title without the Portuguese star.

He is a great player. He's been with us for five or six years and in that time he has improved beyond all recognition. I suppose, in time, he will reflect, and say that the best time he ever had in football was when he was at Manchester United. It was better for him and it was fantastic for the club.

But we have no divine rights, we talked him out of it for one year but he's gone and we move on. Ronaldo leaves us because as a young boy he always dreamt about playing for Real Madrid, so if he leaves us, it's with our blessing.''

- taken off soccernet.com

United should get G.Rossi back before Juve snatches him.

He was awesome during the confederation cup match between Italy and USA.
Damn, stupid SAF.

Well, it's confirmed that Tevez is leaving. I can't say that I'm surprised, as it seemed very likely from the beginning. I hate to see him go, but I can't blame him for wanting to move. Seriously, I emphatise with his situation...he feels unappreciated, perhaps. And the club's dragging their feet in trying to secure his services does not bode well for his confidence and their faith in him. It's not really nice, I must say, for them to do this to him. If they were serious in wanting to retain him, they should have done something months ago. I totally blame the club on this.

If one were to argue that it was because of the complicated nature of the deal since it involved a third party, it sure didn't slow them down 2 years ago when they got him in the first place, and on loan which is far more complicated then what is offered now. If Man Utd just agreed on the asking price months ago, they would have bought the rights to the player as well. No more complication.

Sad to see him go, but I wish Tevez all the best as he deserves it.

Foster needs to be more consistent.. But he's a good keeper overall.

Now that Tevez is gone, we have to rely on Berbatov and Rooney. I'd say we splash the 80m on a good winger and a good striker.

Back