Liverpool vs singapore match.

It's a shame and sad to see our people cheering on as our brothers being beaten up in our home yard. I think it makes a difference if the crowd were behind them. At least NOT that big margin.

honestly - wuould not have made much diffirence tactically, physically or any other reasons as the gap in class & ability is way too big..

the only thing is that for the ppl who booed the SG side ..... its like stabbing our SG boys in the back ....

I mean I can understand the hysteria of seeing their football heroes in the flesh and all but to boo the national team players - thats just not right.

Wow what a disappointment to see our fellow countrymen sing for Pool rather than Singapore.

I was watching the game between Man Utd vs Hangzhou Greentown.Despite having such a high profile team playing at their backyard there was still a huge turnout for the Greentown fans.Cheering on for their team which saw the home team put 2 pass Ben Foster.

Not many real fanatics in Singapore I believe.

Last edited:
When I first heard about Liverpool coming here to face the Lions and turning Kallang Stadium into Anfield, I began to have mixed feelings. Its a good thing I wasn't at the stadium watching the game as I would have a dilemma on who to root for, since I was a supporter of both sides.

I'll be honest. I watched the game on TV and I was actually rooting for the Lions. Congrats to them for giving their best in the game. Its a good test for them and they still have remaining Asia Cup 2010 qualifiers against Jordan (remember the after the game brawl when the Lions won 2-0 here?), Thailand and Iran.

I wonder when the last time you guys paid to watch/support the lions in action? Anyone support local team in Sleague against teams such as DPMM, Albirex and Super Reds?

Well the reason why the Sleague doesnt attract many local people speaks for itself.Both the people and the organisers have to be blamed.Including myself.shit...

Should watch the Sleague.
They got good competition this past few season.
last season Super Reds looks amazingly good and push our local club all the way for the title.
This season it is DPMM.
DPMM got some quality players and I think they are part timers!!
Remind me of the old Lions (Fandi, late Borhan, Kadir), they are part timers with Singapore in MLeague but their performance are world class in every game!!!

yea i also was sort of cheering the national team on...
Liverpool winning Spore, understatement.
Show more love la. i was at home watching tv. each time they put in a goal , it was quite saddening. Image you playing with the liverpool mates! Honoured, yes. But seeing your own ppl roaring for them, leaving yourself defenseless?
not that nice eh..

heheh hello again guys! to me, i just feel that its not worth paying $88 to see a team of second stringers playing against singapore's 11, even though we lost flat out, it would be nice to see the first eleven of liverpool playing! As we could all see, their 2nd team and some first team players could own singapore hands down, imagine how happy benitez would be, a few million dollars in the pocket richer after leaving singapore!

heheh hello again guys! to me, i just feel that its not worth paying $88 to see a team of second stringers playing against singapore's 11, even though we lost flat out, it would be nice to see the first eleven of liverpool playing! As we could all see, their 2nd team and some first team players could own singapore hands down, imagine how happy benitez would be, a few million dollars in the pocket richer after leaving singapore!

granted some of them only played a few minutes, but how is a team with reina, dossena, riera, alonso, mascherano, carragher, agger, kuyt, benayoun, torres called second string?

Such a Shame!!

I was watching the match on TV, and yes, it was Anfield. I thought those people (practically everyone at the stadium) who were cheering and "proud" that "their" team thrashed our Lions ought to take a look in the mirror. Some of the Liverpool players may not even know where the hell Singapore is until recently. What has Liverpool team given you? Each one of you spend hundreds and even thousands buying their merchandise so that the players can get paid obscene salaries, and what have the team done for you?

I always feel strange when "fans" refer to such teams as "my team'. It is one thing to be a fan of a FOREIGN TEAM, it is another thing to cheer them on and look really happy when they thrashed your countrymen. Do you guys really feel proud? Just think of what the Liverpool players are thinking...you actually think they feel so warm and appreciative that their "fans" are behind them? Wake up guys! They are wondering why the hell are there people stupid enough to cheer them to thrash their own team! This is indeed quite unique to Singapore as you will not find this in many countries.

Very very sad indeed. And what a shame.

i dun feel strange. and i'll be frank, i do not like watching the spore team. the last time i supported them was during the malaysia cup era. then,they have standard. now,i see no improvement at all.

yes i am proud of the liverpool team bcoz i have been supporting them for a very long time.

dime mentioned: I was watching the game between Man Utd vs Hangzhou Greentown.Despite having such a high profile team playing at their backyard there was still a huge turnout for the Greentown fans.Cheering on for their team which saw the home team put 2 pass Ben Foster.
if people said that local should support the lions etc that day, then WHERE are the lions supporters in the stadium? at home cheering on tv? why did i only see people wearing liverpool jerseys?

these are the kind of games the lions need to play more often. against stronger opponents.
look at their display last sunday. i can freaking feel tat they are pressure holding on to the ball.

if one said tat liverpool bully only. then its too bad la,no foreign clubs in the world who have a reputation would come here for a friendly to lose.

remember those malaysian league days...
singapore,brunei,kedah,selangor,pahang,sarawak etc...
singapore n brunei is a country.
the malaysians are as states.

Agreed. At least they should not boo the local players. The Singapore players must have felt bad when almost all in the stadium were supporting the visiting team and booing them. Demoralising. I felt that the Lions will perform better if they were cheered. What a shame.

i dun think tis is true. were u there?

so far i didnt hear anyone boo-ed at them tat nite. i DO hear applause for every gd movements etc for both liverpool and the lions. even i applaud!

What/Who is YOUR team?
Doesn't mean you are Singaporean, Singapore is YOUR team?
It strikes me when I see faizal post on 'The Singapore Football Scene Thread'.

Many youngsters regards BPL as their team (manures, cheatsea, lfc,etc).
Ask them about those teams and they will list you the players and yada yada.
Ask them about the Lions and they will go ... "aahhh I don't watch Sleague."

You can have manures, cheatsea or even Barca vs Singapore and the whole saga will repeat itself. Even when Singapore fight for a place in WC2010, most people think it's a joke. NS has never been fill to the brim unlike in MCup days, even though the Lions are fighting for the nation pride against other top nation teams to put Singapore on the world stage in SA.

Now ask yourself this, when was the last time you see The Lions in action in competitive match and when was the last time you see BPL/La Liga/Serie A teams in action?

Will you stay up/wakes up in the early morning to watch the lions games at 3 am just like you stay up to watch BPL/La Liga/Serie A team in action?

Finally, how many of you guys have the lions jersey?

if people said that local should support the lions etc that day, then WHERE are the lions supporters in the stadium? at home cheering on tv? why did i only see people wearing liverpool jerseys?

+1
this is true.
what makes people think that those reds fans that are in NS are supporters of the lions?
i think there are some manures fans there as well and i don't think they are there to support the lions. just there to diss the reds fans?

+1
this is true.
what makes people think that those reds fans that are in NS are supporters of the lions?
i think there are some manures fans there as well and i don't think they are there to support the lions. just there to diss the reds fans?

yes and they kena take out tat dirty jersey and stay topless, instructed by the friendly neighbourhood policemen

in relation to the dudes in man utd shirts.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP2YKlXwiSc

at about 0:42
this should have happened to them for their stupidity.
not a supporter of any teams in the mix (man utd, pool or local lions) but wearing a rival shirt to an exhibition game like this is just childish and stupid. why not they complete the whole fashion show with an everton jersey as well.

and i agree with dioswkg that being a citizen of a country + the love of football would not mean a natural reason for me to support my national team.
however, the 'this is anfield' announcement is just ridiculous.

Can't help it.

For some people, their age has nothing to do with their IQ or EQ or even common sense.

Most are just plain childish and petty.

Really sad sods. :rolleyes:

in relation to the dudes in man utd shirts.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP2YKlXwiSc

at about 0:42
this should have happened to them for their stupidity.
not a supporter of any teams in the mix (man utd, pool or local lions) but wearing a rival shirt to an exhibition game like this is just childish and stupid. why not they complete the whole fashion show with an everton jersey as well.

and i agree with dioswkg that being a citizen of a country + the love of football would not mean a natural reason for me to support my national team.
however, the 'this is anfield' announcement is just ridiculous.

different mood la. spaniards are much, much more passionate. also for them it's more of a spaniard vs catalan thing so to show up at the nou camp and sit amongst barca supporters in a madrid shirt is really really insulting

the MU fans were probably just trying to be funny in the singapore game

orrrr wait by that logic, so you mean if let's say some brave fella were to pay 88 dollars and turn up in a lions jersey with indra's name on it and sit amongst a group of hardcore liverpool supporters, you would beat him up and strip his shirt just because he wore a singapore shirt to 'anfield'?

What/Who is YOUR team?
Doesn't mean you are Singaporean, Singapore is YOUR team?
It strikes me when I see faizal post on 'The Singapore Football Scene Thread'.

Well, u seem to have an issue with me posting on that thread. I've been watching the Lions play from their M'sia Cup days since the early 90s and even when I was overseas back then, I had to rely on backdated Straits Times papers for their results. I've been following their progress since then and till now. I admit the national team's standard can't be compared to the ones of the yesteryears and more work needs to be done in improving but that's not gonna stop me from supporting the Lions. I believe one day they will make it big time.

If nobody's gonna support our national team, then how are they going to improve w/o support and motivation from the fans?

Latest posts

Back