Is local music in Singapore dying or coming to life again?

I really like this topic, for me a local band can excel real big if they put their heart and sould in the band..if u want to make a band must all out lah...haha..however...i find recently the venues of gigs are very little...most gigs are held at blackhole..i miss FAD and crawlspace...
basically for me a local band can make it if they make friends with band of a smilar genre from other country's then making a split e.p. so our music can spread to another country..likefor an example making a split e.p with a band from msia and indonesia.. and from there a asian tour can be commenced...however u must be really2 tight..i REALLY really love local music...hahah. a few of em are plainsunset, gse, postbox, paris in the making, amateur takes control and lots more lah...its really hard to make it in spore..just give it ur all...however i hope more gig venues will be opened..soft is always the place to be to find gigs...<3 soft

Ok, so i was just randomly surfing through the forums, and i found this thread, and i thought to myself, "Oh, another interesting thread. Another person stirring up discussions trying to find out what Singaporeans think. I thought i did a paper about this a looong time ago"

And then i found out, it was my thread! WAHAHAHA!

Then i thought to myself, omg, someone actually reads 5 year old threads and replies??
(Yea, you. Heh heh)

Haha, too dude.

music aside, i wonder how all those people who at some point of time, using here as part of their music research for their studies, actually ended up with, grade, perception changed or simply couldnt be bothered and move on with time since their studies already over.

I guess you wouldn't wanna be one of those peeps eh?

So what was the findings of your paper?

i think the local scene is dying. not specifically the local music scene. but the local scene in general.

maybe we can look forward to more foreign acts.

I think as long as making music is 'fashionable', there'll always be another 'upcoming' band.

It's a dead horse that's gotten used to flogging& liking it.

All respects to our wonderful 'ancestors' of local music but during their time it was different.
First of all, they posess true talent (there's no ultimate-guitar.com mind you) and really deep passion. Before you butt in to defend ur 'whatever' point, they do not have as much distractions as we have now.
And they value their records because it's bloody inaccessible. (Almost obscure records vendors around) Despite a world without the internet, they managed to get a name for themselves.

Anyway, i kinda digress.
My point is local music has gotten better but not the drive and passion (in a-hell-of-a-lot-of bands). We have became 'too fortunate' and almost pampered in some ways.
We have gotten used to instant gratification and thus, most bands become frustrated after a year or two in the 'scene' and still being 'unknown' or as they like to put it,
UNSIGNED. (pfftt...)

Back