Is local music in Singapore dying or coming to life again?

Re: Is local music in Singapore dying or coming to life agai

HeartRockSingapore said:
No offence taken AY. Just didn't understand your worries, and if you care to explain..

What I meant was that what if ppl just grab whoever is in the prominent spotlight as of the moment and totally ignore what has transpired b4. What HRS is doing now is paving the way for the future, be it our pithy little music scene can 'make it' or not... However, sometimes I feel miffed that there isn't enuff respect given to those who paved the way for what we have now... Unlike other countries, our own scene-sters have very little knowledge of our own music. So, it's not a case of mistaken identity about the whole 'forefather issue'.

When BigO re-released the Straydogs in 96 (?), it opened up my eyes to a heritage that we once had and could have... Every few young music lovers have actually heard Concave Scream untill last night... To me, that's just wrong.

It's good that the writer will include the current efforts of HRS. But from his tone, I was afraid that he might overlook what has been done in the past 15 - 20 years... the so-called underground music scene. Interestingly, I heard the National Archives have some old demos and recordings of bands from the past. That sounds good to me...

I'm not an expert on any scene or anything. I'm just a huge music fan and love all the things these different sub-cultures have done for their own scenes. RESPECT!

soft said:
To me, the currently music(pop/rock) scene is very much like the Internet good days.

wait for the recession to hit us again... when govt budgets are cut and consumer spending dips, woo hoo!!!

We had a boom in the early to mid 90's. The Oddfellows were signed. In 97, the Padres released Night under Rock Records. They played in Taiwan and for the King Of Thailand! I heard they were swamped by screaming Thai fans on the streets of Bangkok until they had to ask the rest of the patrons of a restaurant to leave so that the band can eat in peace. How more rock star can you get?

It was still quite good til the turn of the millenium... after tt, it seemed a lil dead and all. Nothing much happening. Everything works cyclically in life. I just wonder when Singapore music is uncool again, how many people will be left to pursue and admit their love for our own music?

AgingYouth said:
When BigO re-released the Straydogs in 96 (?), it opened up my eyes to a heritage that we once had and could have...

bro big O re-released the straydogs in 96 ? where can i possibly find a copy ? roxy ? would like to hear it , ive heard stories about uncle dennis commanding 5000 fans during their heyday , must be pretty good music

AgingYouth said:
very few young music lovers have actually heard Concave Scream untill last night... To me, that's just wrong.

Is it unfortunate or is it wrong?

If wrong, who or what is wrong? People can only listen when the opportunity is presented, and in this case Bb. Can there be a Bb all year through? Even if it can, will Bb wants to feature the same band over and over again. Perhaps, if they are there to promote certain bands in particular.

It may be the band themself who prefers certain type of exposure over others. Why is Ugly In the Morning and Ronin playing at all kinds of gigs all over Singapore? Why isn't Concave Scream (nothing personal, just for discussion sake)? there are organizers like MFG, HRS & AFUA doing gigs, with the exception of HRS that does not collect money, not even donations. Why not approach these organizers for more exposure?

Is there something wrong, as you have mentioned?

so far, most SOFTies think that the local music scene is much alive and kicking. Is there anyone who think otherwise?

I would say the people who are not going to the gigs, not buying the CD's and saying that "local music sucks". This is the majority of Singaporeans I meet. I think there is going to be a large difference of opinion between what SOFT, a group of obvious local music supporters feel and the what the general cd buying, gig going demographic of the population feels.

I think that the better Singaporean bands are world class given where their development is, but are greatly undervalued by the general population. If this is a "golden age" in regards to standards of bands then the proposed national convention should throw up some fascinating questions.

How about an avenue for local bands to air their stuff? We cannot put our hopes on a radio station... so why not a place where we can all record our sounds on a cd, and leave it in a particular place for people to take a listen to the cds? Advertisement could take humble forms of musak which can be played in shopping centres, or bars.

seriouslly, IMHO, to have the radio station playing local music. I rather not.

In the 90s, they did, but look what happen after a while and how many people here actually remember the programs that actually play just local music for 1 hr each week, interviewing the bands and such.

So, does it raise more awareness of it? Yes, maybe, but look what happen when there's no more of those. And sadly, if we locals, need the radio stations to play local music in order for more to find out to find out, support, then i say, we are hopeless and deserve to be look down upon....

I always believe, if one does really find hard enough, they will know where to find local goodies. Back then, with no internet, the words also spread around and thus resulting in me finding out about local music. Why not now? And thus, why should the stations play our own music to let more people know it. So what if they play, more exposure and more gig if the people they themselves don't listen to it.

On the places that let local bands play. There are quite a few. And its all waiting for people to go find out instead of talking so much on internet forums.

The golden age is not now, furture or back then. It has always been here, just that we are not aware of it....

soft said:
To me, the currently music(pop/rock) scene is very much like the Internet good days.

haha ... sounds good what : taking a darwinian perspective

only the best and fittest would be left , kinda good in terms of level of sound maturity and musicality ?

competition breeds progress and innovation

brundisium said:
The golden age is not now, furture or back then. It has always been here, just that we are not aware of it....

I like this..kind of existentialist. Time is not past cos it's gone, nor future cos it's not here....but NOW. cease it. Let's not NATO but act upon every opportunity presented before us.

i feel that the most important thing is for local music to re-establish its roots, and be proud of their own music. as for exposures, i agree, it's good that we promote the 'platinum-material' bands, but remember, they were lost lambs once too. It was through gigs that these bands were discovered. That's why it's important for us to give them exposures, and of course, develop a style of music, or rather, an identity which bands can carry and be known as a 'local singapore band' wherever they go. =)

Maybe

Hmm. Maybe nature will take its course?
We'd never know what the local Singapore music scene will become?
Maybe boom, maybe flop?
( Kinda like a redundant comment eh? )

But really, i read so much pro and anti Singaporean music comments, i agree there really is no end to the debate.

But i personally feel that local bands are very enthu. I have seen and known some of them very pia, even though not very publicised nor appreciated.

I know that Taiwanese support Taiwanese music and artistes. I think Jay Chou is just one of their proudest product.

( Why do i have a feeling i just sparked off another bomb comment.... But its all good, all in the name of speak your mind )

Hey, btw, anyone here have a spare Howie Day DVD: Madrigals?
WTB.

Re: Maybe

therealslim said:
But really, i read so much pro and anti Singaporean music comments, i agree there really is no end to the debate.

I guess when you ask for mass comments, this is what you'll get....and I'm sure you will draw a conclusion...though no one can be cork sure what will turn out in the end. This is neither science nor art.

HeartRockSingapore said:
Is there something wrong, as you have mentioned?

Perhaps, wrong is too strong a word... I hope that the youth of this generation will get a chance to listen to what has enthralled my generation back in the 90's. What is perhaps wrong is that there's no proper sense of muscial history in Singapore... In the States, everyone look up to the Ramones as the originators of punk. In certain states, they'll have their own heroes... In Singapore, the great acts are forgotten as soon as they fade away from the public consciousness. That's to me what's wrong.

Btw, Concave Scream is quite a family-oriented act nowadays. Most of the members run a design firm together and are married with children. I think their obligations run deeper than them having to run ard chasing gigs. Drummer Dean's daughter and lead guitarist Pann's son are damn cute though! And they came to support their daddies. Heh! :D

aging youth's comments made me think.

yes, we have quite a bit of history concerning local bands, but 2 things:

1) not many bands still carry on and do it cos they usually grow out of it.

2) how many current local bands count local music (exp the ones we quoted in the thread) as a direct influence?

most bands still draw their influences from other places other than singapore. and what our "forefathers" did doesn't really count for anything if there was no continuity with each new generation. you don't get many bands who said "hey i grew up on concave scream" or "damn, the oddfellows were the greatest band on earth" do you?

Re: ..

Yup, tt's what I'm talking abt... The lack of continuity creates a sense of loss.

And I did grow up on Concave Scream... and many more. Hahhaha... and Stoned Revivals' 'Golden Love Songs From The Evil Island Of The Handsome Tropical Cannibals' is one of the best albums ever recorded, to me, at least...

I've told this to Mr Heartrock before, and as this topic comes out, i may as well share it here.

Being an Indonesian who grew up in Singapore, i found it weird that there wasn't a strong local music scene as compared to that in my country. There are lots of other factors, but, the most disturbing thing is, after the hippie movement, there wasn't much grow, none that we can see until one or two years ago. Maybe it's my ignorance, but, i really didn't see/hear anything much.

There was one thing which struck me as odd a couple of weeks back. It was during the IOC session, and after my classes, i was walking around Peninsula Hotel area, and ended up at Excelsior. Then, this ang-moh came towards me and asked me the MOST absurd question that i've heard someone asked me.

"Do you know CD shop which has 1960-1970s LOCAL rock n roll band records?" then he added that he was recommended by a VERY FAMOUS DJ in SPAIN, that the music scene of the 60s and 70s were WORTH listening to.

and he was an IOC delegate. A Spanish.

And he asked me. Do you know of any bands? I told him the truth, no, i really don't have a clue as i'm Indonesian. And then he asked about the scene here, and we ended up talking about the beatles, deep purple and AC/DC, and about how they were icons, and that their music were the good ole music of their time.

Then he said, "My DJ friend told me that the 60s and 70s local bands were good."

Now that really struck me. Where's the local history gone to? Were they that good, that even FOREIGNERS from almost HALFWAY around the world got to hear about them? and yet, we, a CD shop away don't even ever heard about them? We gotta be kidding ourselves right?

We ended up in Roxy Music, but all the records were either sold out, or out of production. There was this guy, wanting to buy ALL the band records of the 60s and 70s. Were they that good? Unless someone revives the CDs, we, the younger generations will never know. And we'll never be able to say that these people influenced us, our music, or that we have any ROOT at all, to go global, or even regional.

A strong foundation is important, and it takes time to build this. There's an existing foundation lying deep somewhere in Singapore, and if we find that and revive it, it can truly be a stepping stone for the local music scene.

rottenramone
most bands still draw their influences from other places other than singapore. and what our "forefathers" did doesn't really count for anything if there was no continuity with each new generation. you don't get many bands who said "hey i grew up on concave scream" or "damn, the oddfellows were the greatest band on earth" do you?

yes, no continuity, but if we let this go lost even further, we will never, ever be able to revive it, or make full use of it now that the scene is showing signs of picking up.

as for influences from other places, it can't be helped, that's why these bands, Ramones, Metallica, Megadeth, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix and co are called THE world movers in terms of music. They move the world. And that credit is due to the amount of exposure that they were given, worldwide. The forefathers of Singapore music scene, the quest, etc, (i really have no idea), drew inspirations at the same time these world movers came into prominence. That itself will account into something of greater proportions, as they didn't only leave a legacy in the minds of the older generation (which was sadly killed as the Gvt clamped down on the Hippie Movement), but also made themselves a name in lands far far away.

Did i include that my dad, an Indonesian who's largely ignorant of music made after the 1980s, said that Singapore had a few songs which, when heard in the radio, made him shiver, coz they were good. I don't know. I really don't.

If we want to make full use of the work which the 'forefathers' has done, we gotta revive them, get them to jam together again, produce their CDs again, give them airplay again. get them the RECOGNITION that they deserve.

Dedicated local radio show? We can try it.doesn't really harm us does it?

If we want these to work, we gotta be proud of our own roots. Me, coming from a country like Indonesia, where the music scene blooms to out of this world proportions, am proud of my country's local music scene. There's the factor of having so many people around to buy almost anything, but you gotta consider the fact that many of these people aren't able to buy original records, yet still, they try their best to do so, and will end up buying originals after a while. The thing about the people is the pride. You only hear three or four 'foreign bands' out of ten to fifteen songs in the playlist. That's because they love the local music.

It all boils down to this. There was a time when the Indonesian radios only played foreign songs. Deep Purple, metallica, megadeth blah blah blah were THE bands and they were THE songs to listen to. But it's changed, because they embraced the past, the culture, and though a lot has changed, they still embrace their values and the groundwork which their predecessors have laid for them.

In Singapore, it'd be good to hear two different local songs in a day, the bands need more exposure!!!

At the end of the day, all we can say is, do we want to layer by layer create the foundation again, which is quite impossible to do, taking into account the rising costs of everything and the chances of them not working out, or revive the old but strong foundations, renovate and restrengthen them (remaster the records?), and use bands like ugly in the morning, electrico and ronin as stepping stones and jumpboards. That will escalate the growth, ceteris paribus, of course. But it's worth a try.

MuL

well mulyadi u can continue to write a book, but this world is not gonna change...

strong foundation? there is no foundation in the beginning...

oddfellows the greatest band on earth??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i've got nothing against our local scene and patrick chng, but i remember the first time i got to know abt this band was seeing its first "hit single" video clip on tv and i went...WTF... i've never heard someone singing in such flat n monotonous tone in my life b4... pls intro bands like concave scream or naked if a foreigner is asking abt our music....

the idea of dedicated local radio is thrash, that's no question about it...
but the 2 local songs a day... at least it makes some sense

Back