Is local music in Singapore dying or coming to life again?

forefather, grandfather, whatever, what is important is that there are still some people who are still bothered enough to do their part in bringing some music to our scene, and anthony is one of them.
even mr SOFT is a forefather, as he is playing a role in improving the music scene in singapore.
hey, we all are forefathers and foremothers (ah-hem), when we do our tiny but collective part in promoting music.

hahaha mr SOFT very polite, edited my *%$# words! thanks! lol. :lol:

therealslim, when is your paper due and will you be able to share your findings with us?

i am asking because there are many people doing research on local music but once their work is done, it is handed to their lecturer for grading and it never see the light of public. to me that is a pity.

since the thread is started by therealslim, we should response to his post and help him to produce the best result possible.

Re: Is local music in Singapore dying or coming to life agai

AgingYouth said:
therealslim said:
You gotta respect the 18 years he put in...

Ah Aging Youth, forgot I am only in the scene for less than two years, still learning. Please teach me more (better understood in mandarin).

The question of local music growing or dying is really a subjective one. Some people thinks quantity is sufficient, while others think quality is more important. some ppl think quality is meaningless without quantity while others say both must be present before you can say it is growing successfully. All of which are right...in their own right.

Is there a forefather and is that important is again subjective. What is the definition of forefather anyway. The understanding between therealism and agingyouth may differ quite drastically...this is only my assumption. therealism may refer to one being world renown, a Stalin or George Washinton type as a forefather figure where AY may just refer to a more day to day version of forefather, again my assumption. Again these two thinking are correct.

Back to basics, is Singapore's music scene or industry growing? Most of us would agree it is, as seen from the increased in activity, whether in number of bands coming on stream, whether in the number of gigs being organized, whether in the number of crowd going to gigs, and even the number of foreign acts sailing into Singapore. What is needed is a KPI to determine what a generally agreed term of success is. Whre are we now and how do we get there?

Where quality is concern, it is hard to determine whether we are or we are not as this would take more energy and resources to pin down.

What about the economic perspective of the scene or you may call the industry. Are the CDs of our bands selling well? Do they get higher returns from playing at gigs? Are people spending more money on bands, whether for private functions or paying to enter a gig's gate? I think these are the more realistic performance indicators as compared to..is the music producer getting more pay, or is the jam studio getting more bookings, or the music shop selling more guitars or the newspaper writing more about bands? I do not think this has reach a standard of preferrence.

This is an imperfect market...in strict marketing terms.

Is there a potential for growth in all aspects? Not visible to me. Not as yet visible. What we see now, all the hypes of types will go away easily and the scene has no fundamentals to sustain itself. Major gigs like Baybeats and Rock On Singapore are funded. Take them away and the scene dies, and this is not impossible. So a new model must surface, one that is sustained by market forces, by the audience, by the sale of CDs and by the power of commercial interest.

However, are our bands willing to go "commercial" ? This is food for thought to our musicians.

I am organizing the National Bands Convention because I need to know how I can best help bands in Singapore to be able to stand on their own feet.

Please particpate in the convention, and gt others to do so too when it comes.

wow

Wow...i go for a birthday celebration and i come back to see 1 more page of posts! Thats what i like about SOFT, so active! Hooray SOFT!

and wow, my comment about forefathers caused so much rojak eh?
No la, i was just trying to state how Singapore is so young as a country, and can never compare to Real forefathers of music like how US had Elvis, Motown, Rolling Stones, etc ( List goes on ). I think the current ( 80s or 90s ) forefathers ( Patrick, Joe etc ) would be the very influencial forefathers of current music times. They certainly did play a part in shaping a local music following.

Sorry abt the confusion about my forefathers statement la. Main idea was to say that Singapore is young, and we had to find our own sound.

Question: Do you think local musicians/bands/music should always be matched with international standards?

therealslim, ya, SOFTies are hyper, wait till you see some of them still awake at 4am, posting! hmm... maybe they are from another time zone?

well, we definitely need to be compared with international standard else we will only be able to satisfy our family members and closest friends.

Well therealism, I don't think matching our standards with international ones helps the scene much. it is just another form of typical thinking of Singaporeans. We look for international standards to compare to ourselves. Look at the current ad about Mdm Corrinne May. I don't think telling us that she won the "Babyface" songwriting thingamagic or that she has other equally glittering success enhances the fact that she is, at the end of the day, talented.

If we compare ourselves with international standards, we are just playing their game, their rules. Doesn't seem in any way help to create a new sound for us. Yep, we 're a rojak of races, so why not have a sound that is influenced from these surroundings? When we compose music, our experiences come subconsciously to form the melody in our minds.

Just play what we deem fit... spectators will make the judgement... after all, what people define as "standard" is always changing. When you look at guitar, do you say it is standard in terms of design, or playability, or quality? There is no need to be obsessed with standards.

We play by market forces, and unfortunately the foreign market dominates and that's where we benchmark ourselves. But this is not in absolute terms. Where CD sales are concern, we compare the platinums, but where durian sales is concern, the foreigners has no benchmark so we have the K24 etc etc. We set the standard.

This is not to say that we cannot have a vibrant, self sustaining music industry. Small as it is, we have a sizeable market to set cerain local standards that can be independent of foreign influences. We need to wrok on the audience a lot more.

Hmmm Durians... hungry.

Hehe Heart I guess you're right. Wait till we become recognised! We set our standards!! (that is, if we can wait..)

I think we are too polished and sanitized for music to sprout... I'm learning scales in one room and at the other my dad's telling me shut up and get a day job... and possibly get married, have children, settle down... and grow into golden years, "Always searching for those wasted years...."

Guess a bit of government help will aid a long way. Yep, they're doing great job in building us a spectacular "durian", but it's more for high-class, aesthetic tastes...

Pathethism with our audience is another one. Not that we didn't deserve it. Burdened with academic studies, cca, what ever not, there's no luxury of free time to explore and reach, international "standards". How to have skill?

But our audience is not undiscerning. If you've got skill, we'll recognise you. But it takes quite a bit of commercialization too... Which then again, might not work. Has anyone heard of Rafe? Oh gosh should it be Rave? Can't remember...

I tend to think that the current scene relies on a lot of factors linked to our society. All stems down to it...

soft said:
therealslim, when is your paper due and will you be able to share your findings with us?

Don't worry James , I intend to share my findings to the public even when the deadline is over.... :)

hmmz heres some tips for both of you guys.

singapore had a pretty damned Vibrant local scene in the 60s but as singapore progressed economically , local music went downhill from there and now is experincing a pretty decent revival

1) the stray dogs
2) the Quest

there is a local book about the band scene back in the 60s and 70s , can be found in temasek polytechnic library.lotsa information about them. the 60s inspired alot of beatle-esque bands and sparked a fire for local music too.

you might wanna approach brother cloudsky , he borrowed the book.

you might wanna approach uncle dennis at guitar77 for info about the 60s, he is the bassist of straydogs

MackSonne said:
I tend to think that the current scene relies on a lot of factors linked to our society. All stems down to it...

Yes it is. In the old days of Stray Dogs, Heritage & Black Dog Bone, there aren't much alternatives. Following the then gig scene is about the only in and hip thing to do. Today we have a great variety of choices, and also we have a little more dispensible income to waste it on unnecessaries, so gig scene and local works are just one of the many, if not the little of the many.

But there are lessons to learn about the past. One thing to learn is, never let drugs get into the local music scene as was then. The Hippies movement and long hair was equaled with rock music of the time. All long hair guys went inot hiding. The basement of Peninsula Plaza can become empty in seconds, just before the blue berets made their way down.

Hope we don't get sabotage by such things again and see the decline of yesteryears once more.

HeartRockSingapore said:
I am organizing the National Bands Convention because I need to know how I can best help bands in Singapore to be able to stand on their own feet..

I think it's a good thing that you are doing this Band Convention thing and your current series at Singapore Expo. I know increasing public awareness of homegrown music is your mission which I respect. Sorry I singled you out in this manner. No disrespect meant.

I'm just worried that if someone who wants to cover the Singapore music scene in their documentaries, theses, FYPs, etc. just wanna skim through it. The Singapore music scene does not just compromise of a rock scene. The overlooked Une Voca, sound-art event on Fri was severely overlooked. That's part of the scene. Will anyone cover that? There's the IDM-glitch-noise movement spearheaded by My Funky Turntable. There's LionCityDIY which is highly active in organisng their own underground DIY gigs... not to forget the different electronic/ DJ collectives out there.

There's so much to cover and so many different perspectives to the same probs. Covering the rock scene is just myopic.

Re: wow

therealslim said:
Question: Do you think local musicians/bands/music should always be matched with international standards?

Moot point.

In Malaysia, prolly Love Me Butch is known as the Dillinger Escape Plan of Malaysia. Mocca is known as the Cardigans of Indonesia. In other countries, their own fan bases love them for what they are.

Is there a point in comparing? Why shouldn't we love our own acts for what they are...?

HeartRockSingapore said:
But there are lessons to learn about the past. One thing to learn is, never let drugs get into the local music scene as was then..

woah ? that really happened ? ouch .. never knew :p

i heard in the 60s that led zeppelin actually came to singapore ? but they werent allowed to unboard the plane at kallang airport because they had excessivly long hair and the government then ( and now) discouraged it. banned them from performing in singapore

AgingYouth said:
I'm just worried that if someone who wants to cover the Singapore music scene in their documentaries, theses, FYPs, etc. just wanna skim through it. The Singapore music scene does not just compromise of a rock scene. The overlooked Une Voca, sound-art event on Fri was severely overlooked. That's part of the scene.

No offence taken AY. Just didn't understand your worries, and if you care to explain. It's ok if you can't. How does someone doing a thesis on music, and with your inference that the thesis writer will skim through carelessly has to do with Mr Anthony Kan? Was it your inference again that the writer may carelessly include Mr Anthony Kan as forefather of music in Singapore?

Nonetheless I admire your hardwork in research of the music scene, relentlessly finding out who and what happens to various bands and the ability to give off cuff response. This almost parallel the works of ST Life!

Thanks for yuor comment on the convention and indeed I would have to rely on your wealth of experience with the local band scene vis a vis that of the region and the world. Please teach me more (better undertood in mandarin).

What I am doing whether in Expo or in the past is really nothing comparing to what true local music forefathers have done, and that of ST Life!. Many young bands drew inspiration and has in fact moved into prominence such as being nominated for MTVAsia awards. On the same note, ST Life! has openned up a whole new world for many local bands by specially featuring them to be read by over 300,000 readers nationwide.

What I did was only getting a contractor to provide the instruments where bands can jam for free, and the audience usually less than a hundred people, exceptions excepted. I don't even know what music they play or how tight they are (a term I just learned). In fact this is more social work than nudging the music scene. I think many of the accolades were blown out of proportion, and I really fear that this will become a hindrance to my social work.

Nonetheless, the bands are by far the most friendly group of people I ever work with. Very true and straight forward, much driven, very confident (some over), and most importantly no tribal politics. I must say I enjoy this work so much that I am willing to put in more than the 25 years I've put into other groups if God permits. Then I'll be the oldest non-rocker rocker ever produced on Singapore soil.

so far, most SOFTies think that the local music scene is much alive and kicking. Is there anyone who think otherwise?

To me, the currently music(pop/rock) scene is very much like the Internet good days.

- Many think that it is a blooming industry.
- Some make it to the news headline.
- It is easy to set up (a band).
- Some investors are interested for the promise of good returns(money or fame).
- Most do not have solid (music) business plan.
:cry:

Back