Is local music in Singapore dying or coming to life again?

Yeah I wish local radio would play some local bands' songs. I'm not sure how the song-pushing-to-the-radio process works but playing their songs once or twice a day shouldn't hurt much right?

Pier.

I just want to put in my 2 cents of what I feel about the local scene. I went to baybeats the other day, and I was shocked that body surfing was not allowed, sitting on someone's shoulder was not allowed either. I mean, it's a rock concert, and they expect us to stand there like typical 'guai' Singaporeans and not get into the mood? Having ridiculous rules just completely kills the enthusiam of the crowd IMO. Either that, or people in overseas concerts dare to violate the rules, and we Singaporeans are just 'bola-kecik'. At almost every open concert I've been to, the crowd just stands around, and they just occasionally jump, or clap, and these actions just last through half of a song and that's it. There's almost no crowd enthusiasm during a song at all. Yea everyone cheers and claps after every song and that's it. Basic courtesy what. And I've actually been to concerts where there were girls who stared at me like I'm an alien for singing along. Like what in the hell? They look all dolled up and stuff, they don't jump, they don't sing, they just stand there and look pretty trying to show that they are there and 'into' the scene. It's a bloody rock concert not a beauty pageant la. I've got friends (girls) who just heck go crazy and jump and scream, I take my hat off to them man, respect.

interestingly i thought a lot of the audience at Live 8 concerts around the world also didn't body surf, sit on shoulder that much... maybe the ratio is like 1:500 ? :)

that aside, i think things are definitely looking up. of course, they can always be better, which is what i think many of us are trying to do, in one way or another.

one of the most obvious benchmarks - we used to be able to count the number of local gig events - stasis, ngee ann poly (there wasn't even baybeats yet) now, i look at the calendar of events and i find the amount and pattern of gigs mind boggling.. haha! heck, u even used to be able to count the number of bands!!!! :D

there are also a number of different communities - the alternative-indie, the DJs, chinese-oriented, ethnic, vocal-oriented poprock, hiphop, metal (perhaps even more than one?) also, the genres appear to mash and jump all over the place such that u are not exactly able to lump bands into strictly a certain community or genre anymore (i consider this a very good thing)

the ones that drop out will drop out.. its part and parcel of life anyway.. some of us lose interest in stuff from time to time. for those that believe and want to, just keep going man. we gotta go where we gotta go.

cheers
alfe

Is body surfing a must for gig goers? It seems that most of the postings here prefers body surfings with some clearly against.

So I asked, if it's a gig or a concert? Maybe they are the same...maybe not. I saw the pics taken by SOFT at Blondie's and the crowd was big, but rather still and captivated. This seems quite in line with plainsman's observation of Live 8. I have attended several gigs organized by Patrick Chng, and there were no body surfing, moshing etc. The people just sat on the floor and enjoyed the music being played by the bands, and in one occasion there was Concave Scream.

So I ask again, what kind of expectations or even what kind of audience go to Baybeats, and what kind of expectations and audience go to say Rock On Singapore. They could be the same people (audience), or at least many are the same. But I think the expectation could be different.

At Bb, they don't allow body movements, but the crowd wanted it or at least seems to want it, while at POS, we allowed moshing and body surfing but most of the crowd preferes not to. There were apparently more smokers (or at least people smoking) at Bb comparing to ROS.

Are we dealing with two distinct type of audience or they just behave differently at different occasions, or perhaps the venue.

These are interesting questions if someone would care to share his/her toughts.

Not saying that body surfing and sitting on shoulders is must, but I feel that it shouldn't be considered inappropriate. Imagine if they say no smoking at a gig or a rock concert. At a gig, or rock concert, everyone is there to have fun, right? To get in the mood, to shout, cheer, sing, jump, headbang, etc. Not stand still and clap at the end of the song. I'm not saying that people should be headbanging to The Observatory, but standing still for Electrico is just sad.

I feel that body motions should be allowed, and security everywhere to prevent or break up fights. There should be a disclaimer stating that if there are any fights those involved will be thrown out of the performance and handed over to the police.

i guess thats why some people have underground concerts.
smokes and beers.
but i agree,
standing there for music is sad.
lets jump a lil.
scream if you must.
clap clap is sad.
i clap when i feel a band deserves the clap.
but headbanging and screaming,
its passion. \m/

banning bodysurfing from rock or metal gigs is like banning people from "shaking their booty" in hip hop gigs or skating in a skate park

Re: Is local music in Singapore dying or coming to life agai

therealslim said:
I am doing a paper as well as research on the local music scene in Singapore.

maybe you would like to try this book

"No Finer Time to be Alive?" by Andy Chen & Mosman Ismahil

its sort of a collection or articles written by local artiste themselves talking abt the local scene.... this book been around for some time

Seeing how the finalist of Singapore idol has become so famous shows us that it is possible for locals to support locals. And all these support comes from the hype and promotion generated by the contest, therefore promotion play a big part in kickstarting the scene. Mass media is needed, u need the tv and radio stations. The School Of Rock by organised by our local paper is a good start in promoting local music.

da scene (seenobscene?) is forever living and dying at the same time, just depend which side of the fence you (were/are on)..............i think.............

wat do we count, album sales? crowd attendance at gigs? number of gigs overall?

number of instrument shops?

to be honest wats it to us whether its alive or dying? you make music u happy you're part of it already..........

why bother with singapore scene!??!

look at wormrot? they got signed by Earache rec, and is touring the uk, us, europe, japan, and what not.

music aside, i wonder how all those people who at some point of time, using here as part of their music research for their studies, actually ended up with, grade, perception changed or simply couldnt be bothered and move on with time since their studies already over.

heh, this thread was about 5 years ago. And if i remember, there could be some post which prolly dated earlier doing this kinda project. Fastforward to 2010, there are still some pople doing their project with similar idea.

anyway, if anyone still remember doing this kinda progject using soft forum, perhaps like to tell whether did you get anything out of it or simply counldnt be bothered like how most after doing their project, never to be seen again.

OMG! This is hilarious! 5 year old thread?!

Ok, so i was just randomly surfing through the forums, and i found this thread, and i thought to myself, "Oh, another interesting thread. Another person stirring up discussions trying to find out what Singaporeans think. I thought i did a paper about this a looong time ago"

And then i found out, it was my thread! WAHAHAHA!

Then i thought to myself, omg, someone actually reads 5 year old threads and replies??
(Yea, you. Heh heh)

I love this! Hahaha!

Being in and out of Singapore and Los Angeles for the last 5 years, i must say the scene is definitely advanced. Of cos we can't compare to the LA music scene, but i must say i'm encouraged by the attention/acceptance/progress of local music.

Wow!

I read the whole entire thread, theres so much happenings down here. I think the question here is very general and too broad to be classified under that one question alone, thus many SOFTies (all were right) were providing their own perspectives..

But then again, I have no ideas of the local scenes as much as a commoners do.

I think what Mulyadi mentioned has good explanations to it. OK, I am not siding him coz' he's Indonesian.

But in my humblest opinion, it is true that there are limited exposure for those 70s n 80s local bands, I don't know bands like Midnight Marvels n FV are from which era though. And although the number of events (BayBeats, etc)are rising, its is not big enough compared to other countries.

If you see Indonesia, we got Soundrenaline, Java Jazz, Java Rocking Land. etc.. and they boasts massive numbers of bands (we're talking about 50+ of which majority local bands involved here) over days or even weeks of events..

Singapore has great bands like Electrico, TGSE, Plain Sunset.. but I read nobody mentioned anything bout them..lol

Sorry my music scene knowledge is limited, but to answer the question if the scene is dying or not? I say it is COMING TO LIVE and PROGRESSING STEADILY.. the government are doing well in terms of entertainments industry in Singapore. Those will be these young and budding local bands' stage and venues for the next 5 years at least.

Depends on whether you want to seize the opportunity or not, that's a different story

Just my 2 cents SOFTies

thread digger but its good! someone is actually using the search button.

look at it this way its a time capsule!

Back