Cheap guitars vs Branded guitars!!!

Everyone has to start somewhere, cheap guitars makes playing the guitar more accessible to more people. If there were no cheap guitars around, only the rich kids can play guitar.

most instruments should be cheap lar, so that we all can pickup something we want... like drums, a drumset is not cheap, a saxaphone also not cheap... then theres so many other instruments in the world thats still not cheap, but i dont wanna go about it...

Erm

Kwerty: we're not condemning cheap guitars, but rather proving that it can be played as well as a branded one.

17wil: I tink its in this thread that mentions abt TGM being Ranking Sports home brand.

Just buy what you can afford la. 6 pages on cheap vs branded. What the hell. Got money, buy. No money, cry. Simple.

Hmm

sanXp, wrong theory lahzz...

The Right theory is :-

Got money, buy expensive guitars.

No money, buy cheaper ones.

Note: Cheap guitars are also good.

How come nobody mentioned other gears like amps and effects? Everything is integral to the output sound. But the skill of the player is the fundamental condition. Can one sound good while playing like crap?

On the other hand, give wooten a TGM, he'll tweak his Ampeg SVTpro and no one can tell that the bass is 180 bucks.

neuro182 said:
I find stars analogy abit out of point..

hmm ? why the bold tags >?

same thing here . my point benig even if u give michael schumacher a lousy beat up half assed racing car , he probably can still race it well. but how well can he do it ?

hmmz to be more precise. music consists of many many many details e.g sound /tone , technical playing , cohesion/ability to listen out /tightness , sense of rythmn , fingerstyle / picking/ p;ucking / strumming techniques.

to lump it down to

good guitar + good guitarist = great sound
bad guitar + good guitarist = ? sound

or what ever possible premutations we can list down here simply dosent make sense.

even technical skills such as picking / strumming / fingerstyle arent worth a damn if u have no sense or rythmn or simply dont bother to accomodate other parts in a band.

my point being is this. if ya are fairly competent, given the right tools , yould sound good. but if ya are good , given any equipment u can sound good . but how good ? that is the question. dun get me wrong on that bro.

as in ur analogy , give jimi hendrix any guitar and i equally agree with ya that he can probably rock the house down with his riffs ( hes lefty so that has to be a lefty guitar). but give him a TGM and a miniscule 15w amp with scooped tone and overly too much bass. his sound will also end up skewed.

skills is not equated to sound greatness. skills can help you get great sound but that depends alot on your equipment. seriouslly.

someone pro once told me this , "your rig is only as good as the weakest link in your signal chain(meaning the entire setup from amps to cables to guitars and whatever in between) "

but i agree entirely with what you said. nothing absolutely wrong with that. thats the pointlessness of this thread. there is no real right or wrong when it comes to the exact "G spot sound" from your guitar (as i put it).

so what if people like expensive guitars? any problem? if they got money they are free to purchase anything they like and the guitar companies would be more than welcome to sell the, some sweet axes. :lol:

How about this? Cheap guitar with good setup (physical setup), good amp settings + Good guitarist = above average tone. But any less than that = 'bad' sound. Any less than that, it would be easy to get 'bad' sound.

Stars, I think Jimi would have tweaked the 15W amp. If not, he would have done some of his Voodoo magic on his strat via his fingers and selector switch. This is exactly where the Player comes in. Experience + good sense of tone + skills on instrument. Another thing is, no offence ah (hehe), I personally think you place too much of emphasis on brands and make of the guitar. Maybe I missed out the times you wrote something like, even lousy brands can strike gold and make a good piece? Or things pertaining to setup and pickup mods?

Its good that you guys discuss about these things in order to learn more about gear and instrument techniques. Keep it up, but dont turn this into a pointless debate yeah?

Hmm

There is no problem. We're only debating on why Cheap guitars should not be condemned.

Nothing discriminating I find.

3notesAbar said:
Its good that you guys discuss about these things in order to learn more about gear and instrument techniques. Keep it up, but dont turn this into a pointless debate yeah?

lol yea yea.. point taken

hmm it isnt really brand bias .. i think that most fender basses have that distinctive fender tone , deep , rich warm , lotsa mids , seldom bright. ya know :D fender magic i call it. lol i bought stuff like schecter ? i dont have brand bias with " cheap brands" :p especially if its cheap and good

granted , i lack knowledge about mods and what to modify (hey everyone has to start somewhere and somepoint right ? rather than just sitting back and being comfortable with a certain standard and having become fixtated with that standard and content with that standard) )

yea. all i m trying to say is .. too many anomalies within a signal chain that can go wrong. a good guitar and amp will give u a head start but its not everything right ? but isnt that what everyone else is saying. kinda pointless to be rehashing everything.

bass guitar = subset of guitar in any case

besides 3notesabar know why :D i m primarily a bass player.

schecter omen 4 diamond active bass
jedson ??? shortscale bass
fender AJB-58 OCR aerodyne jazz bass (coming soon)

vox T-15 bass amp

Yupsie

ooh Fender bass... Anywae, if it can enhance the music you play, I'll be very much happy for you :)

Back