Cheap guitars vs Branded guitars!!!

I think they sub to a factory in China to make la...Not just slap their label on excess production instruments. I know the boss has control over the specs....So at least its something to go by, for such budget instruments.

most of the time........

there's nothing wrong wif cheap guitars.......

it's the players using it........

y blame sumthing dead?........

try n understand them n soon this cheapo might be a million times better den wat we cor branded......

btw, sum ppl use branded 1 also sound like shit lei......

anyway....... no hard feeling hor....... :wink:

:twisted:

Hmm

I think brand ensures also a certain degree of quality which can't be found in others. In this way, we play with ease & assurance that it aint gonna break down on us in the middle of a jamming session or gig.

i think prominent brands make you feel better... for myself i've always told my friends (andrewtheshredder one of them) that I really couldnt tell the difference in both sound and feel between an expensive guitar and a cheap self assembled shit i have. I have an RG7, not very expensive... but above 1k... and the self assembled one costs like abt 50 cos i used discards for my assembly... and more than often i found myself to like the rotten one more.... I dunno... it's probably sour grapes lol cos i dun make enough to buy a decent one.... :lol:

Hey guys I did quite a lame experiment last night... haha... I played the same guitar solo on 2 different guitar... 1 strat copy and 1 ibanez guitar... the tone and string tension maybe different but the learning curve and timing errors I make were identical, it's still my fingers. But the feel is different... haha... also got phsycological factor.

When I make mistakes on the ibanez I will be saying hmmm... the fault lies in the fingers must train it... but when use strat copy, I'll be saying the fault lies in the strat copy, must be the lousy low output pickups... see... it is all in the mind...

well ..

lets put it this way.

give someone (like Maxx) a slash signature edition Lp that costs 7800 and a similar strat copy bought for <200

there is a great tonal difference right there and then.

but maybe the difference between middle range and budget models is pretty small ?

spikes said:
blahblah stepped on it before he sold it off...

wrong..i stepped on it countless times when i got pissed with it..in fact i just dumped it on the floor after playing. :lol:

stars said:
well ..

but maybe the difference between middle range and budget models is pretty small ?

what I believe is the other way round bro.

The difference between low range budget to middle range will be the most obvious. (e.g. any strat in $200 range, compare to let say Fender Highway1 series. The feel and the tone is very different).

But once the quality hit certain region (let's say about $900 price region), the difference to high end is getting less obvious. And at this stage, if the skill of the player is so so, there will no different at all, thus we can stop buying more expensive gear at this stage :D. This is what I think happen to me. Give me any high end guitar, I still play like crap :D

Hmm

Actually if u got the skills, you can make any kinda guitar sound good.

For lousy guitars, you can make it sound normal or good.

For better guitars, you can make it sound signature!!

It is all in the fingers. Equipments enhancements are but just supplement to your music style & skills. Buying good & expensive guitars would make you play like a pro overnight. Agreed?

Re: Hmm

neuro182 said:
It is all in the fingers. Equipments enhancements are but just supplement to your music style & skills. Buying good & expensive guitars would make you play like a pro overnight. Agreed?

buying a ferrari would not make u michael schumacher

but having michael schumacher's skills would be complementary to you driving a ferrari.

similarly , giving michael schumacher a beaten up cheap old austin mini and asking him to race against a fairly competent driver in an mitsubishi evo 9 would not make sense eh ?

same thing in guitaring. good gear must go with good skills. hmmz actually this thread seems kinda pointless since we are all going round in circles repeating ourselves and getting nowhere

Re: Hmm

neuro182 said:
Actually if u got the skills, you can make any kinda guitar sound good.

yeap. and good setup is really needed......lousy guitars like TGM.. with a lousy setup or no setup... can kill u anytime man... :D

I find stars analogy abit out of point.

Lets say we give Jimi Hendrix, a workable, but lousy guitar like TGM, he'd be able to make it sound good bec of his skills. Better still, if he got a Fender Stratty, he'll sound magical.

I blif its always the fingers, excellent equipments are just supplementary. If we focus too much on upgrading our equipments yet forsaking the skills that's gonna help us go a long way, we're nowhere near good.

Does the purchase of an Ibanez JEM axe make you play like Vai overnight? I don't blif in that, so sorry.

Good player with lousy guitar = lively.. and very musical music.
Average player with lousy guitar = Sucks
Good player with good guitar = AWESOME!!!! above the sky man!
average player with good guitar = still sucks or average.

if you give jimi a TGM.. yes.. he can play exactly lively.. and musical music.. but the sound SURE tend to be different. :)

Hmm

Definitely, but the sound of the guitar does not define his skills. It is his skills that defines the music!!

I think you guys should not condemn cheap guitars. They are there for you guys who want cheap and "playable" guitars. Many of us want the brand but don't want to pay a lot, so companies have guitars produced in different countries selling at a cheaper price. For example, Fenders MIM, Epiphones China etc. Cheap guitars are there to "cater" to starters as well. You can't expect them to pay for a 3,000 Gibson eh?

By the way, if I'm not wrong, i think i heard from some friends that, TGM = The Guitar Master.

Back