Cheap guitars vs Branded guitars!!!

Vaiyen said:
if both woods are the same, then it should be pickups? I don't believe diff grades of the same kind of wood can make that big of a difference.

interesting... so you mean to say if my ironing board is made of alder, if I attach a texas special pickup on it, it will sound like an SRV signature guitar? can save money already lah this way :lol:

hi.
can someone tells me the difference between a fender stratocaster and a fender squire?
is squire a lower quality as compared to the standard one since it's cheaper?

I think what Vaiyen means is "diff grades of the same kind of wood" won't not alter the tone enough to make a significant impact.

If I take a 2 diff Squires of the same pickups, same workmanship and ditto everything else except the grade of the basswood. Have a player plug it to a similar amp and play some riffs. The difference in tone would not be significant.

Nowadays consumers willing to pay more for a brand name. Thats why brand image is so important. (i'm guilty of that. I love a Gibson Les Paul!)

One guy mentioned a good point. Subaru v.s Ferrari! :lol: But a Subaru can outrace a Ferrari if you put Schumacher in it! Its not the quality of the wood, its the quality of your fingers!

theelbow: Squire is just a sub brand name of Fender to produce lower ended guitars to cater to a broader market. This way, it doesn't undermine the brand name and image of "stratocaster". Its the same company but yeah...cheaper parts goes into the construction of a squire that justifies its price

ictaros said:
One guy mentioned a good point. Subaru v.s Ferrari! :lol: But a Subaru can outrace a Ferrari if you put Schumacher in it! Its not the quality of the wood, its the quality of your fingers!

Yes, right.
But even Schumacher will need at least Subaru to match Ferrari.
Put him on Proton Saga and see whether he can even compete with a Lancer Evo 8O So there is still a difference and it's not just a matter of brand.

And about the wood, I still believe, the different between cheap guitar and expensive guitar (not necessarily good guitar), even though they are made of the same wood, is that the expensive guitar is made from well chosen wood.

I prefer to use beef analogy here since wood and beef are product of a life form :D Beef from cows that are carefully bred like in New Zealand's farm will taste better than local beef from cows that anyhow eat grass. They are all beef, but the taste is very different :lol:

Why so fussy?

Hey Dawg,

it don matter shit abt brand. abt subaru vs a ferrari, datz no match for a topic where when it comes to guitars man.

u see, it doesnt matter nutzzz abt brand ---> ( fender, gibson or a ibanez VS a samick, suzuki or some shit brand )

all thats important is in how u use and play with it. be it using effects or amps or whateva u have to make the sound ...... u dig wat im saying :?:

i myself own a Samick, fender and a ibanez + multi effects + stomp boxes + a kick ass marshall amp.

it all adds up to the skill u have and effects u put together to create.
the sound u wanna create.
the way u wan it to be and the way u ceate it.
itz ur own unique stlye and signature man.

popeye said:
ictaros said:

Yes, right.
But even Schumacher will need at least Subaru to match Ferrari.
Put him on Proton Saga and see whether he can even compete with a Lancer Evo 8O So there is still a difference and it's not just a matter of brand.

And about the wood, I still believe, the different between cheap guitar and expensive guitar (not necessarily good guitar), even though they are made of the same wood, is that the expensive guitar is made from well chosen wood.

I prefer to use beef analogy here since wood and beef are product of a life form :D Beef from cows that are carefully bred like in New Zealand's farm will taste better than local beef from cows that anyhow eat grass. They are all beef, but the taste is very different :lol:

not if you put another good driver into the ferrari :lol: and we're not comparing players here we're comparing gear quality..diff topic!

imho, the brand does matter, coz there are stuff like, "swimming pool routes" on cheaper guitars, otherwise known as "universal routes" due to their "ability" to let u change pickups on the pickguard easily. fenders and stuff on the other hand, dont usually use that kind of routing. the less wood taken out of the guitar's body, the better the sound? :D correct me if im wrong, of course.

well imo i think brand matters, because it sorts of justify ur playing. from a classical music point of view, a more expensive instrument could mean the skill is higher, like my friend, damn pro in violin, violin $12k. but then again it maybe different for guitar though but i would like having a brand.

well, a subaru can never outrun a ferrari, lets say a 285 bhp WRX STi with a 360 modenna... the 360 has larger ventilated discs than the subaru, it has more air intakes than the subaru, and it displaces a 395bhp... therefore, it has better handling, accleration and top speed...

haha... but much is dependent on the situation like on the race track if it is some mountaim trail... I bet a jeep is better than a ferrari on that kind of terrain... haha...

But guitars of cheaper quality does have a lousier cavity... and the tone and vol nob not sensitive at all... still pondering wheather to save up and get pickup replacement or save up more and invest in a fender... haha... still a long way to go... but I think I will go for lessons first...

All the specs of the car would be invalid if you face a driver much more superior than you. for eg: a Schumacher in a Silverstone race circuit.

Power is nothing without control

I'm sure anyone here in a Ferrari would never outrun Schumacher in a decent car on a race track :lol:

the "brand" of the guitar u get matters imo... the more expensive the brand, the more "respectable" the guitar is

but, usually, the cost of branded guitars so expansive, u can get greater sounding modded guitars at a cheaper price...

so, solution? get sum professional trustworthy friend whos not out to make money to help mod/make ur own guitar at places like Music Workshop...

the brand? get DECALS and stick on ur head sock... TAA DAA!!!

LOOKS expensive... SOUNDS more then expensive... BUT cheaper then normal... :)

of course, fitting the guitar parts together also must do some QC, otherwise the so called "feel" could get affected... not to worry, cuz once u set up ur not-so-perfect guitar, it'll "feel" right...

edit: but if u're lazy, like me, just buy a ready made guitar... and mod it later when u got the cash... :p

spikes said:
well, a subaru can never outrun a ferrari, lets say a 285 bhp WRX STi with a 360 modenna... the 360 has larger ventilated discs than the subaru, it has more air intakes than the subaru, and it displaces a 395bhp... therefore, it has better handling, accleration and top speed...

modenna? pleh... im talking about an enzo man! its the stuff f1 racers are made of. :lol:

ictaros said:
All the specs of the car would be invalid if you face a driver much more superior than you. for eg: a Schumacher in a Silverstone race circuit.

Power is nothing without control

I'm sure anyone here in a Ferrari would never outrun Schumacher in a decent car on a race track :lol:

u put schumacher in a souped up 80s mitsubishi and put an average driver in a ferrari i bet you 100 bucks the ferrari will win. :lol:

I will take the bet providing your average driver has no experience in races prior to the challenge :lol:

Enzo to Ferreri is what Les Paul is to Gibson!

btw, we're off-topic now...

spikes said:

Come come race Mount Akina using Ferrari leh... I bet my nuts that you can only use gear 1. :lol:
A ferrari doesn't have better handling as well, the more horsepower you have, the easier that your tyres will wear out, meaning your handling will suffer after a while... :lol:

eh... is this becoming a sequeal to initial D... haha... gentleman start ur engine...

haha... guess the race is over man!.... we are off the topic...

Back