Alternate Palm Mute

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxhawk

Hi, I've been playing electric guitar for 4 months now and have been learning some songs by Blink 182. I have problems alternate strumming, and also alternate strumming when palm muting. I need some tips on this. If i do a normal strumming while palm muting, my hand tend to get tired easily and will have cramps.

One song, for example, is Aliens Exist by Blink 182.
Look for the verse riff which is the palm mute part.
And also give me tips on perfect alternate strumming or whatever it is called.

Forgive me for my noob/nub question.

I have problems alternate strumming, and also alternate strumming when palm muting. I need some tips on this. If i do a normal strumming while palm muting, my hand tend to get tired easily and will have cramps.

Huh...? Normal strumming plus palm muting and normal strumming without palm mute no big difference what...

Huh...? Normal strumming plus palm muting and normal strumming without palm mute no big difference what...

I'm talking about Alternate. Up and down while palm muting, I can't get the right sound from it. I get some stupid sounds which is unnecessary like as if the bottom strings i strummed has not been palm muted.

For alternate strumming without palm mute, I can do it when ONLY the Low E string is included. If it is the 3 strings below it, I will cock up and get unneccesary sounds as well.

its supposed to be tiring. youre on the right step
playing master of puppets when i learned it was really tiring at first. slowly gradually, it becomes easy
practice makes perfect haha

Well actually, for me, alternate palm mute strumming looks cool. Thats why I wanna learn it and perfect it.

For alternate strumming without palm mute, I can do it when ONLY the Low E string is included. If it is the 3 strings below it, I will cock up and get unneccesary sounds as well.

Practice practice practice! And always aim before strumming, becomes natural after a while. Otherwise you might wanna try a different chord voicing that'll facilitate easier strumming!

Practice practice practice! And always aim before strumming, becomes natural after a while. Otherwise you might wanna try a different chord voicing that'll facilitate easier strumming!

What do you mean by "different chord voicing". Sorry, I'm a noob at guitar sh!ts.

It just means playing the same set of notes for a chord in a different part of the fretboard. For example, you can play C major as either

3 (G)
5 (E)
5 (C)
x
x
x

or

x
8 (G)
9 (E)
10 (C)
x
x

they're both still Cmajor chords as they contain the notes C, E, G which form the Cmaj chord.

What is the chord that you're trying to play specifically?

haha power chords can be played all over as well. Anyway it depends on the dynamics of the strumming. you may not always need to strum that widely and end up with you hitting the low E unnecessarily.

Alright. Thanks for the tips. Thanks alot. I will work on it alot and practice alot for the next few weeks until I get it right.

aim only three strings while strumming OR silent the the low E string by using thumb(thumb goes over the neck) or middle finger(use index, ring, n pinky to fret while middle finger to silent low E string.)

one word..

metronome

use that to slowly build up your speed in alternate muting (we'll call it that since alternate palm muting seems a lil' long winded eh??) if you cramp up, take a break and have a kit kat, then try again at a slower pace, then slowly build up..

but personally, i would rather downmute the riff as it has a more accomplished feel to it. but yeah like you said, some songs do need it.

heh, wait till you try out galloping (muting in fast triplets)and speed muting (speed picking while muting). that one more jia lat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back