Want to gain a knowledge about audio engineering

nitrovo

looking to get a knowledge of audio engineer and that sort of thing. at the moment i know nothing but wanna see how i like it (maybe career option int he future?)

Can anyone give me the right direction to look in? any courses or anything?

Hi nitrovo,

The audio discipline covers a wide field and many industries from music production to sound design for movies, effects creation for games, system design for installtions, audio forensics and survelience just to name a few. Most people relate the audio engineering profession with just music recording and production..

The type of course / training methodolgy all depends on 'which area of the industry' you want to end up working in and what type of eduational background you currently have. This will determine the type of skills you need to acquire and point you to the correct course.

Let me know more of what you want. Even though I work at Capstone - I can give you neutral and independant advice on your career path.

PK

talkin' about different careers.. was watchin "Ghost Hunters" and the guys captured some seriously weird EVP (electronic voice phenomenon) a.k.a ghost voices. interesting side job but I hope i never have to hear weird stuff recording in "my room"..

Cheers man.

I dunno what'd i'd be interested in, probably music. I mean I look a a mixing board and think WTF:? thats so confusing and that.

i'm currently in my final year of highschool (equiv to O levels) and have pretty much no knowldge on audio and that sort of thing.

I just dont really know where to start

Seminars!!..hurhur!!..Cheap and a good way fer learning... some ads are here on soft...I got a good lesson from blueprint..but hey!!..you gotts learn both practical and theory...works out great..and you might also see me in seminars too..

cheers!!

Hi nitrovo,

No need to worry, all seems quite confusing at first - once you understand the basics of the discipline its all easy sailing from there onwards. All it needs is focus and attention to detail.

Before deciding on a course or even before deciding on which aspect of the industry you want to make a career in, - i'd actually suggest that you read some articles written about the industry and see what really is available to you in Singapore and / or aroud the region. Speaking to people who've been in the industry (this does not mean course counselors that are paid by commision!) is quite a good way to start and often is a good eye opener.

This portal has alot of experienced people from within the industry - and is actually a great resource.

If you need some reference articles let me know. As a starter I'd check out some articles written by Roy Pritts available on the audio engineering society website. I've also some articles on the Capstone site written by Glen and myself under articles section. Mix online and ProAudioAsia also is a good source of reference.

Take care - PK

Hi

i guess u can look for some part time job in a rental company (e.g Unusual, showco etc), helping out setting up speaker, learn all kind of cables,,these are those 'courses learn during your trianing' and u r getting paid..great deal but is hard work! But no pain no gain right haha

dude...how can i apply for all this part time job man?? must got lobang ar? like who to ask all that....thankz man...

Soma school of music..
It is quite expensive...
however it is worth a try coz they teach you how to mix music...
Another school is School of Audio engineering SAE...can also worth a try..if you are serious in music...

Firstly, attending courses at schools we only be appropriate if you really want to go into this as a career. There are schools that teach music productions and engineering such as SOMA, SAE, La-Selle,Poly etc. I would reccomend if you're really interested, you start by seaching for information on the net. There are many websites on the net that teachers audio engineering stuff, like how to set up your studio etc. If you would like to attend a SHORT 3 MONTHS course on music productions and engineering, you could also check out www.harkmusic.com, the couse is based in a proffesional studio. I have personally attended this couse and i find it very worth, however its $700 for 3 months, i'm not sure if the pricing has changed.

Btw, please take note that SAE does not teach you anything about music, its a purely audio engineering couse. As for SOMA, you can choose to learn song writing or any instrument if you go to their school, they are seperate courses. If you go la-selle or poly, you will have to learn some music theory too.

these are some websites :
http://www.tweakheadz.com/rigs.htm
http://www.recording-engineer.net/hrs/hrs1.html

Goodluck ;)..

Hi all,

Im currently teaching professional studio recording for those who are interested in becoming a studio engineer or picking up home recording as a hobby.

Personal one on one basis and its in a real recording studio.Im an active engineer and am currently working on a few albums.Have over 10yrs of experience in live and studio engineering.Graduated from California Recording Institute in 96.

Email me finalmix@gmail.com for more queries.
Cheers!

personally i think going for courses and classes is a good idea. But then if you're looking for experience and more hands on, maybe you could try to understudy an actual sound engineer?

Which is what i'm actually personally trying to do.

At Soma, the Diploma course is 6mths consisting of 5 modules. You can pay by installments or full.

But at Lasalle SIA, its 3 years and you would learn basic music theory as well as getting a chance to gain some possible future contacts from the drama, dance or fine arts side.

SAE is another story, you would actually learn something there. But the place is small though.

---

anyway, any idea where i could go or who i could ask if i would want to understudy or be an apprentice a sound engineer?

I heard SAE are good.. not sure.. Soma like run by indians like that.. that time i went for career fair and i went to their counter... knn.. all indians talking to me non-stop.. cant even leave e place.. not sure abt their school though.. cant judge by look ah.. hahaaa :D

If you think you are passionate enuff and confident of your abilities, then invest on a home studio and DIY everything. The sound biz doesn't really look at certificates during employment, they mostly look at experience, capability and most important thing, network. Investing on your own studio will entail you to future biz opportunities and also more understanding of gear as you get more hands on due to owning them. The cost of SAE etc is expensive, for that kinda money, you can invest on a studio yourself. But well, you have to be persistent and hardworking to walk this path as you are on your own...

here's my formula.

you need spare time for passion
you need passion to drive yourself for that experience
you need experience to put your trial and error knowledge to result
you need theory to expand that knowledge capacity
you need creativity to override that theory limit to make the most out of yourself.
you need results to build your confidence
and you need that confidence to feel good about all the time you've wasted.

reality check :
and you need to work and save up like a regular singaporean to earn the money for equipment.

90¢ worth.

by the way , I agree with parablue's statement that an SAE course's cost can match up to starting up a home studio.

some ppl prefer to have a diploma secured first. some others prefer to have the experience first. as much as the example of a business graduate who'll end up working for a business minded man who only knows A to Z.

my advice is approach other recording studios and apprentice/work for them lor.

another 30¢ worth.

Back