Want to gain a knowledge about audio engineering

I'm looking at moving back to sydney next year to study and an audio type college place. the SAE there is shit.

I've been doing abit of reading and stuff. I spose i'll have to try it out to make sure i like it before i spend $1000's on a course.

I hardly have time for anything in the next few months with final exams and stuff. no time to play guitar! after that then i'll see and read and things.

i'm sorry! I thought SAE started from Australia??? From what i heard from people who have receive demos from SAE in Singapore and Australia, the Australian SAE is way better than the Singaporean one. So how can the Sydney one be shit??? I heard a demo from SAE Australia, it was way tops over our local SAE standard...

"Whilst I can't speak for all SAE colleges across the world, I can say that the SAE college here in Sydney is not a place i'd reccomend goign to. I've heard from a number of different people now that it is not a good place to study. The facilities are "meh", the teaching staff mostly young and inexperienced, and the overall presentation of the place not-so-professional.

The trouble with SAE is that it has become so enourmus that it has lost any sort of touch with the students. It is very much a sausage factory type deal... just cram the people, make them pass the exams, then spit them out. It is very questionable as to how many of the graduates have any real clue about what they are doing.

I studied at the competeing college here in Sydney, JMC Academy. This is an Australian owned/run operation, with a much richer teaching staff, more comprehensive facilities (ranging from digital computer systems, to traditional analouge recording methods, and the digital tape systems in between) and a large range of real world gear for you to play with.

For me, the real boon with JMC was the teaching staff you encounter. There were a few lecturers, with Greg Simmons the most notable, that really took the generic learning process up a notch.

NOTE: Greg Simmons is a renouned audio geek... a tech wiz, founder of Australian Audio Technology Magazine, blahdy blah.

What it boils down to though is your own will to learn, and your drive to get as much out of the course as possible. You'll want to take all the studio time you can get, and then some more. You'll want to spend time in breaks talking to teachers if they are free, asking them any extra questions you've got on your mind, if they have any other work on at the moment, if they need a hand, etc. You'll want to get in on any in-house production teams (for example, JMC had regular performance nights, and I made sure I was on the audio team for them all) because each minute you spend talking, watching, and listening about audio, then more you learn.
"

This was a PM from a guy i know.

there are always negative and positive comments about a certain school. Best if u go down there, check it out urself, or get lots more comments from other ppl.

Back