Wad cymbals do u guys have...

hi my humble little collection

Paiste 502 14" hi hat
Paiste 502 18" crash/ride
Sabian AAX 16" Stage crash
Zildjian A Custom 20" ride
Wuhan 12" Splash (used inverted as mini china)
Zyn 6" splash

not bad... i kinda like it cause it's not too pingy neither is it too washy. overall bright sounding, nice for crashing too. hahaha

joshie said:
drum_hobbyist said:
joshie said:
hey i thought i had better post this here. have anyone of you tried the pst3 series? i'm thinking of getting the whole package since its sounds decent and is rather cheap. anyone have comments on whether its good? or that i should go for sig or pst5

Give a listening to Istanbul Samatya series at Drum Resources. The most affordable and decent sounding hand hammered cymbal set around... $650...

hey do you have the istabul samatya cymbals? im wondering if it will blend with my pst3 crash. hehe.

Yes... I have the set. The Samatya series is brighter than the traditional hand hammered cast cymbals yet darker than the machine hammered cast cymbals. PST3 will sound definitely brighter as it is made of brass sheet. In drumming, there are really no hard and fast rules about cymbal matching... so let the PST3 crash give another different voice in your playing... :wink:

alright man thanks. i was also considering the paiste signature series which would be around the same price as the istanbul cymbals. would be the same brand then maybe closer to the sound ranges. whats your opinion?

joshie said:
alright man thanks. i was also considering the paiste signature series which would be around the same price as the istanbul cymbals. would be the same brand then maybe closer to the sound ranges. whats your opinion?

Same pricing between different brands does not mean same quality of sound. I have a Bosphorus Traditional 16" Crash ($160) that has the same tone as the Paiste Dark Energy 16" Crash ($450). The Bosphorus has a longer sustain due its larger bell. The Bosphorus Traditional series is the starter range amongst its many series while the Paiste Dark Energy is the highest range amongst its many series.

The PST 5, Alpha, 2002, Dimensions, Reflectors are all using the same alloy but different in pricing due to the manufacturing process of how each series is made. Compare PST 5 with Dimensions, you can easily tell that Dimensions will take longer to produced.

The reason why Paiste is the most expensive amongst the cymbal brands is got to do the Swiss high standard of living and hi-tech manufacturing process.

My recommendation is to take time to explore and compare amongst the cymbal brands and make a buy that is long term. Don’t be hasty in buying and at the end lose money when reselling.

oh no.. after reading this i feel like selling my pst3 16" crash. but i got it for 80.. a real good deal, hm maybe i should jsut keep it as a spare. haha thanks man! i'll get the samatya, it sounds simply irresistible.

dude, pst3 is different alloy from the pst5 alloy AKA the 2002 bronze AKA sheet bronze haha... however paiste is known for making sheet bRonze sound good...

if im not wrong, pst3 is made of a similiar alloy to brass (the alloy used to make solar and planet Z and pearl stock cymbals)

joshie said:
oh no.. after reading this i feel like selling my pst3 16" crash. but i got it for 80.. a real good deal, hm maybe i should jsut keep it as a spare. haha thanks man! i'll get the samatya, it sounds simply irresistible.

The sound quality of the Samatya series is considered similar to Sabian AAX and Zildjian A Custom...

drum_hobbyist said:
joshie said:

The sound quality of the Samatya series is considered similar to Sabian AAX and Zildjian A Custom...

hmm really? istanbuls sound way too crisp for my liking haha... and aax and a custom do not really sound that simliar... aax is brighter in my IMO, more towards the shimmering side, a custom is more moderate tone...

but still many ppl like it so there shdnt be anything wrong rite?

Remember that the AAX and Custom are machined hammered and in the sensed that the tonality range is controlled.

The Samatyas are hand hammered so that one can expect a wider range in tones. That is why some of the cymbals sounded similar to AAX and Custom.

Joshie: When you are buying the Samatyas, randomly choose 3 sets to try, you will hear the difference. I believe Nigel will gladly let you try 3 sets... :wink:

yup sure will. im currently having lessons on samatya's, so i get to try the difference=) and my minds set! but i'll try it again.

Just got this babies today from Swee Lee.. A fine addition of arsenals that I already have. Can't wait for the Mid-Year Sale to add more

new-cymbals.jpg

From L to R:

14" HHX Evolution Mini China (Funky little Devil)
18" AAXplosion Crash(Bright, Loud, The Perfect Crash IMO)
17" AAXtreme China(Odd size China with a Nice Oriental Tone)

Hey Joshie... went to Nigel's shop and found out that the Samatyas ran out of stock. This is one good proof that the cymbals are good and affordable. You can check with him when the next batch is coming. If it is too long for you to wait, you may consider Bosphorus... the price is about the same... :wink:

Back