Wad cymbals do u guys have...

u could try ur hands on turkish made cymbals... used ones could maybe go around ur budget...

sound wise - there's no fixed answer coz turkish made cymbal are very unique from two cymbals, of the same make/series coz of many reasons and factors...

Weight, hammering, etc2.. yeah do a search on the buy and sell thread to find some old turkish made cymbals people are selling. :) and hopefully still are selling

can't go wrong with paiste DE mk1 hats....

dark, full-bodied and very meaty... :)

wa first thing recommend DE hats already...fierce...lol.

softwaremaker: hi there,i would suggest you save up a little more before investing on a pair of hats.If you like dark ones,i would recommend the Bosphorus New Orleans hat that you can get from Accent Music.Beautiful hats that would be near your budget.

sorry la churnz, but i the only paiste's i own are those... lol and i believe for every penny spent on it was worth it.... it's just so, umm how to say, orgasmic ah.. hahaha

and btw the new orleans is almost similar sounding to the de mk1 hats... how the hell could i forget to recommend that too... and yup since ur saying used hats, Zen is selling his de mk 1 hats for around 450 *about half price from the retail price* so i'd thought i recommend that one lah...

yeah check out accent music!!

wa first thing recommend DE hats already...fierce...lol.

softwaremaker: hi there,i would suggest you save up a little more before investing on a pair of hats.If you like dark ones,i would recommend the Bosphorus New Orleans hat that you can get from Accent Music.Beautiful hats that would be near your budget.

churnz: Just roughly how much would a Bosphorus New Orleans 14" HH costs ?

I have a general question to ask the experts here.

Why are unlathed cymbals such a hard-sell here ? Accent seems to have stopped bringing in the Turks and not many shop carry fully unlathed rides, for example.

I know they are niched but is it so niched that you cannot play an unlathed cymbal in a soft-rock or fusion setting for example ?

im no cymbal expert but here's my 0.02.

Unlathed cymbals are generally more darker, heavy in sound and doesn't open up as easy as lathed cymbals...

When a cymbal gets lathed, they are given the all important cymbal grooves which changes the cymbal vibrate and also sound... thus the cymbal will either open up easier.. but theres also other factors like weight, hammering/tempering process and many many other factors that can affect a cymbal sound...

to put it in a simple analogy, say you make nasi goreng, but you never put in the chilli.. so the nasi goreng would generally look white in color and don't taste that spicy... but if u put the chilli, the fried rice would be red and more spicy... but no two nasi goreng - be it the chilli or white one - will taste the same when it's fried on two different occasion because there's factors like different chefs, quality of spices, the number of times the chef turn and tumble the thing so that the rice would be evenly spread out with the spices, the amount of this and that etc2 and the list goes on....

same like the cymbal, u lathe it, it will sound more different and looks more different then the unlathed one... and no two cymbals will sound the same BUT QC has made it possible for most of the pies to sound *generally* the same... so like fried rice, if made by the same hand, it would be expeceted to taste almost the same but its not everytime u get the "perfect" nasi goreng! lol

and depends on the people, some people like the white one better then the red one but i think i can safely say that singaporeans have a high threshold of spicy factor so the red ones outsells the white one... or so i think lah or maybe but into aspects on the cymbal - lathed and unlathed...

yeah hope this helps... hahaha

PS: hope no one gets hungry when reading this post! hahaha

Interesting analogy but I understand.

I guess the reason why I am asking is because I love the sound of unlathed but I am afraid I will have trouble selling it to upgrade to another kit. I mean, I dun intend to collect all the cymbals I have ever played :)

Does anyone here face the same concerns ?

Unlathed cymbals are not to be upgraded from. They are a class by its own... a different taste like nasi goreng... the lathed cymbals are on its own like nasi lemak... so you can't upgrade from nasi goreng to nasi lemak... hope you get the point :)

But unlathed cymbals have 2 kinds, the raw finished ones which are for most for jazz and the brilliant finished ones for rock. Most shops bring in the raw finished ones which are not so appealing as the majority of the local drummers here want their cymbals penetrative rather than blending with the music.

Alvin from Music Lab can bring in the Turkish unlathed brilliant finished Rock Beat Raw if an order is made. Checkout www.turkishcymbals.com

Interesting analogy but I understand.

I guess the reason why I am asking is because I love the sound of unlathed but I am afraid I will have trouble selling it to upgrade to another kit. I mean, I dun intend to collect all the cymbals I have ever played :)

Does anyone here face the same concerns ?

Firstly,when purchasing a cymbal one must not make his/her decision with the consideration of resale value.
Why?
Very simply,you are not paying just for a piece of metal shaped like a circle....you are paying for a unique sound,and sound,my friend....is timeless.
If one does not intend to collect the cymbals you have bought,then why buy them in the first place?
Hence it is very important to make sure that one purchases only cymbals he/she can truly appreciate and value because with that in mind...cymbals are invaluable pieces of art that will stay with its owner for a long long way....

I hope this has changed your mentality of looking for cymbals my friend.It is very important to consider the most significant factor when purchasing a cymbal,SOUND,and nothing else.

cheers

Dear Drum Hobbyist and Churnz - Thanks for the insights and thoughts. Much appreciated.

Dear churnz - I hear your point and appreciate your thoughts. I am still very much a beginner with very very little budget. I am just worried that after I finished focusing on one genre of music, for example, and learn another type - that I may not have the financial muscle to have a kit that performs "with" that new genre.

I suspect some of us here trade around, not to make money or anything, but to minimize loss when changing music playing taste from one to another. I am just pre-empting that I dont want to be stuck one day with some cymbals I really love but have to sell so I can afford another class of cymbals.

Of course, if I stay with one music genre forever, I wont have this problem :) I hope you understand where i am coming from.

Last edited:
Well, from what you're saying, sounds like you should start out with the intention to get the most versatile cymbals you can, instead of getting into very specialized sounds.

I have a general question to ask the experts here.

Why are unlathed cymbals such a hard-sell here ? Accent seems to have stopped bringing in the Turks and not many shop carry fully unlathed rides, for example.

I know they are niched but is it so niched that you cannot play an unlathed cymbal in a soft-rock or fusion setting for example ?

I have no idea. Maybe because people here just don't like them. Or maybe because they didn't bring in so many, so then locals don't know much about unlathed, so locals buy unlathed, and repeat the cycle.

Personally, I use a Sabian Fierce Ride and a Saluda Hihat, both raw and unlathed. I really like them a lot.

I am still very much a beginner with very very little budget. I am just worried that after I finished focusing on one genre of music, for example, and learn another type - that I may not have the financial muscle to have a kit that performs "with" that new genre.

I suspect some of us here trade around, not to make money or anything, but to minimize loss when changing music playing taste from one to another. I am just pre-empting that I dont want to be stuck one day with some cymbals I really love but have to sell so I can afford another class of cymbals.

Of course, if I stay with one music genre forever, I wont have this problem :) I hope you understand where i am coming from.

I think when the time comes you won't have any problem with it. Although it's a hard sell, you probably can find people who's willing. Anyway, if you really like raw unlathed cymbals, you can probably find some that can be versatile.

Back