Wad cymbals do u guys have...

joshie said:
hmm anyone know of a thin ride? i think the k customs are good but i want to broaden my buying spectrum. want it to be washy, bright and that would probably mean its thin, maybe medium.

Why don't you try either the K Constantinople, Manhanttan Ride or the Vault Ride? These are very suitable for jazz.

Like I said earlier, I'm using 2 K Constantinople rides and they sound beautiful!

Also, try Bosphorous. Their Traditional, Master and Hammer series are very nice. For a sample of how this cymbals sound like, you may visit www.cymbalsonly.com to hear the sound samples.

Paiste Dark Energy is great, but for jazz, there are other better rides more suited for tat genre. But when it comes to Paiste Traditional, then tats where u can get ur 'jazzy' stuff. Great, musical, not to mention, pricey. But oh well, since u dun care abt the prices then it shouldn't be a prob. For me, its between the Paiste Trads or the Constantinople. Anyway, u can also check out the sounds at Paiste.com...

joshie said:
what brands Constantinople?

Hi Joshie, they are from Zildjian, and are supposed to sound like the old K's from the 50's and 60's which are still made in Turkey. They are expensive, man! They are dryer and darker than the regular Ks or K Custom.

haha could you define expensive? ay have a lot of checking to do. now im contemplating between paiste's traditional, zildjians k custom, bosphorus traditional or samatya's.

joshie said:
could you define expensive? ay have a lot of checking to do. now im contemplating between paiste's traditional, zildjians k custom, bosphorus traditional or samatya's.

Expensive meaning not cheap lah!!:wink:

Those ride cymbals mentioned could cost up to $300 to $500 plus depending on the model and sizes.

Joshie, I can see that U are having quite a difficult time choosing ur ride cymbal. Wat i can advice is, if money is not an issue, let ur ears decide for U. :wink:

Purchasing Ride Cymbal is one of the most difficult choices to make. Different models have different quality thats used for different song choices.
The "ping", the "ting", the overtones are factors U shld consider yourself when looking for ur Ride.

All decision lies on U.

joshie said:
haha could you define expensive? ay have a lot of checking to do. now im contemplating between paiste's traditional, zildjians k custom, bosphorus traditional or samatya's.

You forgot Istanbul Sultan series Jazz Ride from Drum Resources... :eek:

joshie said:

Let's jus say neither Paiste Traditionals nor Constantinoples cost below $550 per ride locally.

joshie said:

A Zildjian 20" K Constantinople ride costs S$650, 22" cost S$700, and the 14" Hi-hat costs S$750.

My main ride is a 22" Medium and it has a nice "tick" sound (not ping) and a good amount of wash underneath it. It crashes well too! The jazz ride pattern is still very clear immediately after you crash it :D I have a 20" Light Ride as my secondary ride, it is a thinner version and it has a better crash than the medium ride.

Both are darker and dryer than the regular K or K Custom which I find that both has a modern sound to it. If you are looking for more traditional sound, go for the K Constantinople.

BebopIggy said:
joshie said:

A Zildjian 20" K Constantinople ride costs S$650, 22" cost S$700, and the 14" Hi-hat costs S$750.

My main ride is a 22" Medium and it has a nice "tick" sound (not ping) and a good amount of wash underneath it. It crashes well too! The jazz ride pattern is still very clear immediately after you crash it :D I have a 20" Light Ride as my secondary ride, it is a thinner version and it has a better crash than the medium ride.

Both are darker and dryer than the regular K or K Custom which I find that both has a modern sound to it. If you are looking for more traditional sound, go for the K Constantinople.

yours is a constantinople? the elaboration is perfect for me haha. im really narrowing down to K customs now, since i dont really like samatya's (although some pieces are good), traditionals are very rare here and i realised the price is 710dollars. still considering bosphorus.

gambatak said:
what thing is $710? and why dont u like samatyas, ezimusic sells 1 set for $650.

Since joshie is looking for a ride suitable for jazz, I believe Samatyas is too bright for the job. Samatyas, if I'm not wrong is the Zildjian A Custom or Sabian AAX equivalent.

Ride cymbals for jazz should be dark and dry instead of the bright sound and high pitch sound that the Samatyas produces. Also, when the ride is played on, is should produce a "tick" sound which the K; K Custom; Sabian HHX; Bosphorus Hammer, Master & Traditional produces instead of a "ping" which the Samatyas, A Zildjian, Z Zidljian etc. produces.

Cheers....

Hi Joshie

Yup, and I'm also looking for 2 more ride cymbals: 20" K Flat Ride and a 20" K Custom Left Side Ride. But have to save up some more money, just got a 16" and 18" K Constantinople crashes cost me about S$900 already....

Bosphoruse is worth considering. I had tried both the 20" Master and Hammer rides, they are beautiful. But I'm a Zildjian guy, and I love the sound and look of the Constantinople :D

Joshie...

Give the Istanbul Sultan Rides a listen... due to the unlathed portion of the cymbal profile and the bell, you will get a drier sound when it is played on the raw area... I find a Sultan Ride a multi purpose cymbal that can give a drummer the options of bright or dry tones... Will be getting a 21" Ride soon... 8)

Back