The 2nd Soft Drummer Meet-Up - 21/4/2007

Of course you happy lah DT, so near for you. From Serangoon to Ulu Pandan... :( Haha.

Would suggest you guys focus more on playing drums than talking drums..

Anyway, I think I understand alzdrummer's POV. I believe it was just a reminder that drumming isn't ALL about gear, and the mark of a truly versatile drummer is that he able to take what is available to him, and make the best of it. I couldn't agree more with that. It can be frustrating when there's too much focus on the gear, but unfortunately, the Meets are NOT clinics or education-driven.

I think it would help if I give the analogy of local car clubs. For example, there's a local SSOG (Singapore Stream Owners Group). What do you think they do at their meetups? Only talk about how to drive?

Singapore Stream Owners Group is a non-profitable organization with a bunch of Honda Stream crazy brothers
wanting to share passion for our cars.
Our directions are getting together sharing knowledge on our Streams, exchange ideas, share modification done on our individual cars, meeting new friends getting business contacts and doing networking.

We organize monthly Sunday meet-ups, 'Stream' convoys up to Malaysia and have fortnightly 'Kopi' meetups on weekday nights to keep us in touch on what's new & happening.

Sure they drive, but they also talk about how to zhng, make contacts/friends, ogle each others new modifications.

Anyone coming to the Meets for 100% focus on playing, techniques etc, will be sorely disappointed - Those are some of the possible side-benefits, but not the main purpose of the Meets.

For a focused discussion and lesson on playing, there are teachers and professionals, of course, the DrumFest coming up! :lol:

Alz makes a good point that we definitely want to consider, ultimately, do we want to play well, or open a drum shop? I know what you guys will say, "BOTH!" Haha... and there's nothing wrong with dreaming :wink:

Seriously, I personally would appreciate more 'focus on playing' once in awhile, and I'm sure a lot of the brothers here too, but I also understand that realistically, most of us are either hobbyists or pretty young on our instruments.

BUT! IF we can manage to get drummers who have the skill and experience to conduct such a session/clinic *HINT HINT*. We don't have to do it all the time, just as and when we have clinicians, we can organize it as a special feature. All the local dudes, Tan Boon Gee, Tama, Tony, Lin Chow... Just thinking about it is awesome man. There aren't enough clinics from our local guys. I'm not too sure why.

But let's start from what we have, and keep exploring the possibilities. Cheers to a vibrant community ya'll.

Following DullTheater's footsteps :D

Committee Members: - James (Soft), RD, rla, drum_hobbist, Reuben, Weckl, caijunlong, jimmyplaydrums.

(0) James
(1) RD
(2) rla
(3) drum_hobbyist
(4) Reuben
(5) Weckl
(5) caijunlong
(6) jimmyplaydrums
(7) rengaw
(8') smildrumez
(9) QWEbie
(10) danial
(11) DullTheater
(12) Frummer

(Please just continue adding on from here - Many Thks )

Who do I pm my info/contacts to ah?

Committee Members: - James (Soft), RD, rla, drum_hobbist, Reuben, Weckl, caijunlong, jimmyplaydrums.

(0) James
(1) RD
(2) rla
(3) drum_hobbyist
(4) Reuben
(5) Weckl
(5) caijunlong
(6) jimmyplaydrums
(7) rengaw
(8') smildrumez
(9) QWEbie
(10) danial
(11) DullTheater
(12) Frummer
(13) mel80

(Please just continue adding on from here - Many Thks )

ok maybe the kit isn't quite that important for the meetup but i'm just saying it could be BETTER if there's another, better kit there... the audience can use the house drums and hence the supplier of the drums won't have to worry about their own drums getting banged up.

about the heads getting changed, i don't disagree that it can't be fixed up. you shouldn't assume that i don't know how to fix drums. the problem is that i have been asking for the heads to be changed since forever. but it never happens. no money or no interest. and no one's big hearted enough to fork out their own cash to fix a set of drums that are not theirs to begin with.

one set of drums isn't going to get the gathering very far. at the very least, everyone should bring a drum pad.

yup everyone shld bring a drumpad. i bring one most of the time to my tutorials cause sometimes the lec does work on strokes
weckl- u know abt lin chow cool, not tht many people know him. he's pretty awesome huh, he has such huge ears.
the thing abt the older pro's not giving clinics, from the general impression i get from talking to them is tht it's kind bitchy and everyone seems to be afraid of making themselves look bad. i know i'm generalizing here.
cld ask boon gee but he's very shy and humble. the older guys u wld have to pay i reckon. the best bet wld be the younger pros like lin chow and alvin. u can try boon gee but i reckon it has to be someone tht knows him well to ask. someone i wld approach wld be audrey, get her to do something on brushes she's gd at tht.

Funkifized - good proposal on the (bringing our own pads)...yes we should...this is value contribution that we need here.

and you are right - If we want to make the Kit sound better - we will have to cough out our own $$$$$ to fix those Heads & Reso ourself. I believed they have no objection on this......but let's all go and try out this 1st meetup - let's see if we will be comfortable with the place 1st....If we so (under consensus of many here) decides to make it a Permanent Meet-Up place - Then sure we will have to change the Batter & Reso on the Kit...because we are sharing these kit with them - it doesn't matter (small issue here)...and thank you for the valuable info - as we are unaware of it actually....The only thing I notice is the Pedal looks very Antique lah ...Kekekeke

to everyone: -

Anyway - Let's all move on from here - remembering that the core purpose of the meetup is to allow us to get to know each other better, and learn from each other (though many of us are not Professional Drummers) just having a passion for drumming....The committee main role is to try to bring everyone together in a Physical Sense as a Family of Drummers here in SOFT besides just communicating in this Cyber Home of ours.

I have to admit- yes indeed we the committee are not very good at drummings, some of us only started out drumming not so long ago (that include me)....As mentioned we hope to break the ice among members here by creating an opportunity for all to meet and get to know each other better.....so that we all can feel comfortable with each other when we meet and this will likewise foster better relationship even here in Soft as we know who we are communicating to......Once this is achieved - members here will be more willing to share so that the Committee (which is not proficient in drumming as many of you brothers here knows) will be more willing to show and share the stuffs you all know

But it was very necessary on the 1st meetup as we have no choice but to show something (though we are not good lah) - because the ice was not yet as broken as we notice many there did not participate and get themselve involve by going up-stage to show some Rudiments......Now..so if the committee sit back - then nobody goes up - HOW?.....everything becomes stagnant, that’s the last thing we want it to happen - and the committee feels that they have the responsibility to as much as possible try keep the event going (so some of us went up to play) - and it was also our 1st meetup - there plenty for us to learn and in managing events like this too - at least we did really try our very best...and that was the spirit we had.....

During Free & Easy time on the very 1st meetup shows a different scenario altogether as people becomes more comfortable - playing the kit or talking to each other - We see this as good....and thus for now - more informal meetup till people here becomes more comfortable with each other - then we will be seeing many of you good drummers comming up showing/sharing great stuffs where we all can learn and improve altogether as we are all at different stage of drumming.

To be honest -just like you all I do have my own personal opinion on the Clinics (if we are to hold one at later stage) - As the objective of this Meetup is for Forumers here to get together, know each other better while sharing - - I feel that if we wanted a Clinic - It should only be restricted to Drummers who is here within SOFT...an example would be Alvin, we all knows him here and he is well qualified for this.

You see most Professional Drummers will not take time off to come here just to share or chat with us as they are very busy…likewise for Alvin and all those Professional that are here (some I do not know them) - for this I give my respect to this group that did, unlike us we are hobbyist. But then again - that's just my own personal opinion.

AND….DON'T BASH RUDI..

weckl- u know abt lin chow cool, not tht many people know him. he's pretty awesome huh, he has such huge ears.

the thing abt the older pro's not giving clinics, from the general impression i get from talking to them is tht it's kind bitchy and everyone seems to be afraid of making themselves look bad. i know i'm generalizing here.

cld ask boon gee but he's very shy and humble. the older guys u wld have to pay i reckon. the best bet wld be the younger pros like lin chow and alvin. u can try boon gee but i reckon it has to be someone tht knows him well to ask. someone i wld approach wld be audrey, get her to do something on brushes she's gd at tht.

Yeah, I got to hear more of Lin during Mosaic recently, where he played with Broken Orange Fence [nice jazz/swing], and on Sunday, he played for one of the bands at the Big Band Bash @ Botanic Gardens. Wanted to chat with him, but he rushed off after his set. Heh, busy guy.

Yeah, I think paying is definitely fair. Would you expect a doctor to treat you for free on his off day? No, in fact, you pay more :lol:

I mean, even if they're taking their time out when they could be gigging, or teaching, I think they should be fairly compensated as well. I definitely wasn't expecting professionals to come in and just teach for free, we should make it worth their while as well, otherwise it would be totally selfish for us to exploit them on the basis that "Oh, they should share for free because they love drumming.". Yeah, to anyone who feels that way, let me know if you still feel the same when YOU are a full-time drummer yourself :wink:

It would be respectful to come up with a fair and reasonable 'fee'. It wouldn't make sense for us to exploit the very people who are doing what some, if not most, of us would like to eventually do, play our music/instrument for a living.

I mean, in terms of sheer numbers, we might be able to guarantee about 40pax per session. Even just 5 bucks each will net about $200. If we are willing to pay $5 per person to a studio to use their facilities, I doubt there's anyone who will begrudge that nominal 'fee' for a professional's time, skills and experience. Anyway, just a thought, we really should talk more to these guys first before anything can be worked out.

Yeah, I've been thinking of joining the Thomson Jazz Club sometime, just to get to hang with some of the local guys in the scene.

Kk, at this point, let's move all discussion of possible clinics to another thread, it's getting cluttered in here. Let's not forget the original purpose. Sign up people!

(0) James
(1) RD ( Pearl Reference Series & 1969 Ludwig SuperSEnsitive Snare)
(2) rla
(3) drum_hobbyist
(4) Reuben
(5) Weckl
(5) caijunlong
(6) jimmyplaydrums
(7) rengaw
(8') smildrumez
(9) QWEbie
(10) danial (Tama Artwood Snare)
(11) DullTheater
(12) Frummer
(13) mel80 ( Omar Hakim snare )

SNARE Leh ??? - Bro Bliss - where is your name - and the DW NP Snare ley? - I also know got people here have the Tama Bulbinga Snare can bring or not....and the Pearl 10" depth snare got spike spike one - where are you all?

- CHEER-UP AND SMILE -

TO ONE & ALL Bro's here .....

I wish to extend my Apologies if my view caused a stir and misunderstanding of any kind. Dumming was part of my rice bowl. FYI, Drum-Meetup are not new in our island Small Circle of Musicians, Drummers alike.

I used to be an active performing drummer 12yrs back then... I quit for no reason......damn!!! :x I regret it sure do... 7yrs on I decide to play again It's dead difficult trying to get back to those days playibility which felt too easy....(Beats,Fills,Rudiments and such)

Been praticing for 6mths now....still nothin appear to satisfy me cause the limps had hardened....but I'd persevere...coz I wanna be a Drummer again :lol:

I have been to many Drum-meetup since... so you'd bet what my expectation will be like when I turn up for your 1st meetup...It was beyond what I expect... nevertheless...the initiative was great indeed."Everyone who offer to showcase what they know did receive my hand-clap of appreciation" :D

After the 1st meetup experience, I decide to give my 1 cent...an opinion of what is best to do in my lame personal opinion based on all the different type of meetup/experiences I had with those great drummer.(Most had surrendered/not active anymore)...sad...

I precisely rather like to see more drumming...then hardwares..like those days meetup..I really wish I can share coz any thought from anyone can be a piece that I never thought of which may add to the buzz..but I'm really out of sync now to show any licks...I'd see in the next 6months maybe I'm ready to share somethin..he..he...

Nothing about what I've said was intended to challenge or judge anyone here...Maybe I put it wrongly or One perceived differently...I'd eat that..coz the musician world out there are much horrible(experience talk) If I'm good, you won't see me here or at the 1st meetup right..he..he...I'm looking for somethin somewhere somehow to actually trigger my mood & ideas of practice..that's the light that took me here and maybe to any of your future meetup...

So cheer up & ONCE AGAIN SORRY...ALL
I just want to make friends not foe...

HAPPY DRUMMING ..alz' :wink:

Yeah. Definitely a good idea to bring drumpads. Can learn a little something from everyone and put it to practise as well :D

RD:
I only have Chad Smith and Omar Hakim snare. Nothing special for bros here to try. Think everyone here will be more interested to try yours and blissuicide's snares :wink:

Eh, so is there anyone I need to pass my contact to for admin purposes? I think it'll be easier for the new guys (first time joining this meeting) if the committee can state the person dealing with the headcount logistics in the "who is coming" threads.

If we need a bassist to jam along with at the meeting, I can try ask my bassist along.

weckl:
dont be jealous ah.... it will only take me around 30 mins to get there from my house....
and only less than 5 mins to get there from my granma's house!!!
hahaha.. she just live next to the CC
i myte be staying over her place.. hahahahahahahah

smildrumez:
tampines??? hee heee...
go stay nearer bro...

alzdrummer:
since you 've attended a lot of clinics, youre experiences are needed in such events
but then again, we've just started, so need to cut some slack in here
anyway, i'm sure ther'will be no hard feelings between everione here...
and also, anyway, are you in or out in this next meetup?

mel80:
gif your contacts to either one of the committee members ah...
hope i gave you the answer.. hahahaha

frummer:
why you follow my steps???
i only take baby steps you know....
hee hee.. i cant run in my last IPPT test, and so baby steps.... hahahah

ffooooooohhhhhh.....
5 answers in a single reply....
beat me!

No problem Bro Alz

It’s clearly a misunderstanding

Yeah, I also think many Drum-meetup are unlike ours as the objectives are different and we appreciate your kind understanding on this.

From your point of view, I’m sure we can all understand the way you look at and expect from all this kind of meet-up. The truth is most of us here are very new into drumming actually. Like you we all wish we could also see more drumming (by all our Bros here – as in future Clinics) as we ourself are limited in our knowledge in the area of drumming.

So to the committee, in order to offset our weaknesses and yet get the community here together, we had to incorporate something else that is related to drums into these meetup so as to keep it interesting as best as we could for everyone attending.

When we (the Committee) went up to do some Rudiments, we wanted to drive participation & involvement among those that are there – take me for instance – I knew jolly well that I’m not good (but just doing the Rudiments correctly) in a slow manner and just trying to explain how it’s being done as I was taught. Not that I do not want to do it fast – but I just couldn’t……Luckily I have thick-Skin (maybe because I am older – so when one gets old the skin naturally becomes thicker a little bit lah)…so I play – with the intention to show the fact that even at the way I play I dare to go up and share – what about all those there whom I believed are much much better than me – In this way, it does boost the courage of others to come forward eg..”Wah like that also can har” – so they will come up and share” luckily we all sit on the floor, if on the chair some might fall off….Kekekekeke (there I go again – I just like to joke – feel more comfortable this way) …..this is another way to break the ice indeed.

We hope oneday, we can have some well-organised Clinics done by our very own more experience Professional Drummers here in Soft, because honestly I’ve been to “ONLY ONE” Drum Clinic – It was Simon Phillip.

I remember, I went there hoping to learn, but came out blurr. He was showing, talking about Poly-Rythmn, did awesome strokes so fast it scare the hell out of me. Then I queqe up – only manage to take a Photo with him, then queqe up again and got his signature – then balek kampong. This experience tells me – I can’t learn much as I’m at a beginning level of Drumming (and I believed there will be many here just like me too)….Thus a Clinic done by our own Local Drummer here would be very much more beneficial, as we can approach him after the clinic to asked even “How did you do that” or “Can you show me slowly again that thing you did”…..we will indefinitely learn more here……………Hahahaha I still remember after the clinic, I call a drummer – he tells me what “Metric Modulation, Odd Time Signature & other things”…wah make me lagi blurr.

It goes to say – if we can have meetup like these, even Informal ones (as we cannot have Clinics every month), and when we show, we discuss, we asked fellow drummers , we actually can learn & understand better in a way through this kind of sharing – because drummers here are all at different stage of drumming – hoping everyone can excel in time to come.

Do us a favour Bro Alz, please come for this comming meetup, we can talk, discuss about drumming, get to know each other better as a Family Of Drummers out here and you can share your valuable experience with us too.

if we can have the priviledge to have you join us and help us organize all future meetup & events that would be an asset to us – and it’ll be great. We really need people like you here.

I like your quote …. “Been practicing for 6mths now....still nothin appear to satisfy me cause the limps had hardened....but I'd persevere...coz I wanna be a Drummer again” – and that was indeed very very motivating – a fine example set for all of us drummers here….

Cheers Bro Alz !

Regards

Eric

I'm bringing my Existing-Snare-Stands that is used for the Kit I'm using....I'm sure we can bring the existing one lah !.

Anyway thank you all so much - honestly I have never tried any of these snare you all are having - and would like to see and play it...it's something new to me....you know lah - Swee Lee neber allow me to test on every Snare one - they will come and scould me lah....

This Saturday - I have to go to Swee Lee to pay a Deposit of 30% - because I order a Pearl Seat - or else they will not order in for me....cannot cham-siong one in spite I know them....but what to do - I have no choice what?.

(0) James
(1) RD ( Pearl Reference Series & 1969 Ludwig SuperSEnsitive Snare)
(2) rla
(3) drum_hobbyist
(4) Reuben
(5) Weckl
(5) caijunlong
(6) jimmyplaydrums
(7) rengaw
(8') smildrumez
(9) QWEbie
(10) danial (Tama Artwood Snare)
(11) DullTheater
(12) Frummer